Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Woodall

Default Woodall

Does anyone know what woodall's was?

It was the first fiberglass bodied sports car, made in the early 50's. It predates the 53 Corvette.

Woodall's was also a published guide to trailer parks, campgrounds, etc for travellers and itinerants.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    It was the first fiberglass bodied sports car, made in the early 50's. It predates the 53 Corvette.
    Umm….no. You may be thinking of the Woodill car. Besides, the Kaiser Darrin is widely considered the first, true production fiberglass car.

Some folks credit that Bill Tritt of Glasspar had the first production BODY, This from Wikipedia:

“The Glasspar G2 was a sports car body first manufactured by Bill Tritt in 1949. It is no longer built today. It was the first production all-fiberglass sports car body built by an American fiberglass manufacturer. A few were built as complete cars [[in limited numbers) but most were offered as a body, or body/chassis kit,”

Tritt later built a couple of special order fiberglass bodies for the Woodill [[note the spelling, not Woodall) Fiberglass Body Corporation out of Tustin, CA. from 1952 to 1958. Woodill went on to create the Wildfire kit car.

Woodill was a successful Dodge and Willys dealer and he tried pitched his car to Willys’ management and they had 6 built. Soon Willys was taken over by Kaiser and those guys were not about to replace their Kaiser Darrin with the Woodill. Total Woodill production was about 15 cars.

The Wildfire appeared in four movies, the most notable being “Johnny Dark,” with Tony Curtis and Piper Laurie – parts of which were filmed at the Packard Proving Grounds.

Thx for the correction, I read the spelling wrong. However, I watched a reality car show called "Fast and Loud" and the characters in the show restored a Woodill and they said it was the 1st production car using a fiberglass body.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; October-20-12 at 08:51 AM.

Default Woodall Industries Inc.

You mean Woodall Industries Inc. I worked there in late 1968 for a short time. They were a medium sized manufacturing company that made plastic parts for the automobile indusrty. It was located on the north side of 6 Mile Road just west of Van Dyke. Shops like this one were the backbone of the Detroit economy but now every one has completly disappeared.
    Name:  woodall.jpg
Views: 1511
Size:  30.2 KB

Default Woodhill & Glasspar

Info on the Woodhill & Glasspar.
    Name:  woodhill.jpg
Views: 1600
Size:  39.1 KB
    Name:  glasspar_0001.jpg
Views: 1593
Size:  68.9 KB
    Name:  glasspar_0002.jpg
Views: 1498
Size:  40.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    Info on the Woodhill & Glasspar.

Had me until the leaf-sprung suspension! Wow...what a blast a Merc drivetrain tubular-framed one of these must've been. Damn. I never knew anything like this ever existed.

To be able to go back in time with $950, plus tax, titling, and licensing...and find a way to seal it for fifty years...<sigh>

Then the first thing I'd do is find someone to design a decent independent suspension for it...and grab a set of Recaro seats...and some fuzzy dice. Maybe a sound system.

What an incredible ride that would be...

Gannon, yes to the fluorescent fuzzy dice and a hawaiian dancer, green neon license plate frames and a decent set of 10 speakers. A coffee cup holder. A crocheted box of kleenex tissues and small change under the driver' seat. A wratchet strap holding up a moose head trophy from a trip to the Youpee on the hood.
    Ahhhh, the good life!

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Gannon, yes to the fluorescent fuzzy dice and a hawaiian dancer, green neon license plate frames and a decent set of 10 speakers. A coffee cup holder. A crocheted box of kleenex tissues and small change under the driver' seat. A wratchet strap holding up a moose head trophy from a trip to the Youpee on the hood.
    Ahhhh, the good life!
    Don't forget the venetian blinds in the rear window and the curb feelers on the side so you don't scrub the whitewalls on the curb.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Had me until the leaf-sprung suspension! Wow...what a blast a Merc drivetrain tubular-framed one of these must've been. Damn. I never knew anything like this ever existed.

To be able to go back in time with $950, plus tax, titling, and licensing...and find a way to seal it for fifty years...<sigh>

Then the first thing I'd do is find someone to design a decent independent suspension for it...and grab a set of Recaro seats...and some fuzzy dice. Maybe a sound system.

What an incredible ride that would be...
    Season 1 Episode 10 of Fast N' Loud on the Discovery Channel features a Woodhill.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Season 1 Episode 10 of Fast N' Loud on the Discovery Channel features a Woodhill.
    Fast N Loud - Season 1 Episode 10

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Don't forget the venetian blinds in the rear window and the curb feelers on the side so you don't scrub the whitewalls on the curb.

Yes, don't want to damage them whitewalls.

Hello, This award is named after Peter Woodall who died last year aged 77.