Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Random Shooter in Metro Burbs

Hopefully they catch this idiot before someone is killed. It brings back scary memories of the DC sniper and we know how tough it was to catch those two.

http://www.freep.com/article/2012101...text|FRONTPAGE

I travel along the I-96 corridor between Wixom and Lansing every day. It's bad enough I have to watch for deer, let alone a crazed lunatic.

Let me hurry up and get back to Detroit where I can at least see the thugs coming for me !

I truly hope this is someone who is just being an idiot who has nothing better to do than hunt cars, and never actually shoots anybody.

That said, thank God this is happening in the suburbs instead of the city, where all we would hear is the usual crap.

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    I truly hope this is someone who is just being an idiot who has nothing better to do than hunt cars, and never actually shoots anybody.

That said, thank God this is happening in the suburbs instead of the city, where all we would hear is the usual crap.
    I don't know about you, but I don't want to see this happen ANYWHERE.

Remember divisive ones, when this makes the national news it reflects poorly on the City proper as well. They will say that this is Detroit. No one cares that its Wixom, the rest of the world knows Wixom is in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post

Well said. I find it rather pathetic that anyone would "thank God" that this was happening ANYWHERE. It says volumes about a persons mindset though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Of course we don't want this sort of thing to happen anywhere, and it happening in one place rather than another does not make it better. But we know how in this area if something bad happens outside the city border it is portrayed as a singular event and they attempt to downplay it as much as possible. If it happens in the city limits it is blown up and made to be just another reason to paint the suburbs as a better place than the city.

Quote Originally Posted by leapfrog View Post
    Well said. I find it rather pathetic that anyone would "thank God" that this was happening ANYWHERE. It says volumes about a persons mindset though.
    Perhaps I used some poor wording at 6am with no coffee in my brain. To the best of my knowledge, nobody has been physically hurt. Thank God for that.

I do stand by that if this were in Detroit it would be a much bigger story... and would be portrayed as if the city as a whole were responsible as opposed to one lone nutjob. Remember, this is a city where the police hand out fliers saying "Enter at your own risk," then a large amount of them leave when they punch the clock.
    Last edited by jtf1972; October-20-12 at 09:11 AM.

Like Coleman A. Young said, " It's time for all of you theives, muggers and murderers to hit 8 Mile Rd." And they did, shooting at suburbanites.

Picked up by the national wires.

CBS News

AP

Houston Chronicle

Washington post

among others.

The reason it's not bigger news is that, to my knowledge, noone has been killed. Trust me, if people start getting killed by this idiot it will be huge news. Attempted murders never make big news, unless it's someone famous being shot at. And right or wrong, the fact that it's a suburb of Detroit will reflect poorly on the city [[as far as the reporting goes) even though it's not within the city limits.

Quote Originally Posted by SMRJim View Post
    The reason it's not bigger news is that, to my knowledge, noone has been killed.
    Last I knew, he was still alive: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Noone

My girlfriend grew up in Wixom, her parents still live there. She had the day off work today so she went to visit. Obviously, she came home safe and sound but I'll admit to some worry in the back of my mind. I have to drive to Wixom tomorrow for work so I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled. Police have released a sketch and also state they are looking for a 1998 Olds Alero or Toyota Camry.

One dude wounded near Fowlerville today. Word is he may have trouble sitting down for a while though.

http://www.livingstondaily.com/artic...ed-Fowlerville

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    One dude wounded near Fowlerville today. Word is he may have trouble sitting down for a while though.

http://www.livingstondaily.com/artic...ed-Fowlerville
    Yeah, he was from Grand Rapids, on his way to Detroit for the World Series.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    Of course we don't want this sort of thing to happen anywhere, and it happening in one place rather than another does not make it better. But we know how in this area if something bad happens outside the city border it is portrayed as a singular event and they attempt to downplay it as much as possible. If it happens in the city limits it is blown up and made to be just another reason to paint the suburbs as a better place than the city.

Because it is a singular event. Wixom has had a total of 3 homicides since 1999. This doesn't happen there very often. People cry about the reporting of shootings and murders in Detroit, but they happen with great frequency. That's fact. To put it in perspective, Detroit alone accounts for 53% of Michigan's homicides. Out of nearly 10 million people in Michigan, over half the murders are committed in one city of 700,000 people.

People can bury their heads in the sand all they want, the fact is crime knows no boundaries.

I'm sure this would have more coverage in the media if this were happening in Detroit, or even Wayne County, but it is confined to the "safe" communities, far from the big bad city.

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/..._river_default

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    I'm sure this would have more coverage in the media if this were happening in Detroit, or even Wayne County, but it is confined to the "safe" communities, far from the big bad city.
    What are you smoking? This story has gathered international media attention and only one person has been injured.

If anything, this story is getting much, much more media coverage because it's in a "safe" area and also because of the likeness to the DC Sniper incident.

Hopefully all the media coverage will help find this lunatic and get him or her behind bars.

"People can bury their heads in the sand all they want, the fact is crime knows no boundaries."

People also bury their heads in the sand and like to compare onesy-twosey random crimes to what's actually going on in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    ......People cry about the reporting of shootings and murders in Detroit, but they happen with great frequency. That's fact. To put it in perspective, Detroit alone accounts for 53% of Michigan's homicides. Out of nearly 10 million people in Michigan, over half the murders are committed in one city of 700,000 people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    People can bury their heads in the sand all they want, the fact is crime knows no boundaries......
    Hmmm.... who should I believe - someone with data to back up their factual claim or someone who offers only a tired cliche and calls it a "fact"?

I think I'll go with Shollin!

Crime doesn't have no boundaries, just because it's more frequent in the city, suburbs and rural areas aren't exactly exempt from it either.

From what I've read...... the investigators have released nothing helpful for the hundreds of thousands of commuters who pass through this corridor every week.

Wouldn't it be helpful if people knew to be looking in the foliage or at the cars passing by on the other side of the median? Or if this was someone driving up next to the targets? How about if these incidents are happening at night, or in the morning or if there is no pattern at all?

Spread the news and we'll get him. I'm always very aware of my surroundings while I drive. I imagine there are a few other people who share this trait and could be a huge asset in finding this freak.

Also, once he is found and convicted with overwhelming evidence against him..... I say we string him up and dangle him from the 96/275 overpass. Should send the right message to the next berserker gunman who wants to be a messenger of the devil or whatever bat shit crazy reason they use to justify their sick, perverted actions.

A witness said he has a tattoo on the left side of his neck. That should help narrow it down.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast