Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Detroit T-shirts Coming on Strong

I was just wondering is there an emergence of Detroit branded apparel, And if there so is this because there's a heighten sense of pride about our city.

It seems that there are many new brands and logos walking around. Now some are positive and some play up to the negative images.

I attended the Dally in the Alley, Detroit Jazz Fest and
    Arts, Beats and Eats and I probably counted 15 different logo'd shirts and 6 vendors selling Detroit merchandise.
    I suspect that there this underground movement of Detroiters who like I do feel for Detroit.

I got three shirts, a "Made in Detroit" and two others, a couple of hats, and [[with last year's Lions playoff run I brought my first Lion sweatshirt) and I'm thinking of launching my own line of branded apparel. You can probably guessed it, "Strong Detroit".

A reporter from the Detroit Free Press, caught wind of this and did an article: http://www.freep.com/article/2012072...ime-in-Detroit

So maybe, just maybe The Great Detroit is back.
    Attached Images Attached Images            

Detroit's not just another Midwestern city like St. Louis, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, etc. It has a very strong identity that's been branded to the nth degree. Positive, negative - at least we're not bland and there's a lot of history in this place.

The logo for 'made in Detroit' is a big turn off. I stay away from items that have that. It's creepy and hideous. Reminds me of a plumber.

Don't forget about local event shirts that advertise what the city actually has to offer, like the North American International Auto Show and Detroit International Jazz Festival. Those shirts don't just look good, but promote and advertise events in the city.
    The shirts could be a conversation starter that lets the person wearing the shirt share their positive experience in the city.

Those shirts are way more important than some shirt that just says "Detroit" on it.

Not my picture.
    Picture from: http://www.bonanza.com/items/search?...azz%2Bfestival
    Last edited by I <3 DET; October-20-12 at 01:10 PM.

Default Goodlifetees.com has some cool Detroit shirts

Cool looking shirts/hoodies. Henry makes it easy to order and get your shirt! Name:  Goodlifetees.jpg
Views: 2010
Size:  39.7 KB

I think you can appreciate this Detroit tee.

Name:  DSC_0031.jpg
Views: 1985
Size:  51.0 KB

Every T-Shirt posted here looks terrible and anyone wearing one is a ....../hipster and/or someone from the suburbs who just comes into the city once in a while to go to a sporting event or overpay for Slows BBQ.

In all seriousness, why would someone wear a shirt that says "Detroit313"?
    That is an AREA CODE for Christ's sake. Wearing a shirt with an area code is considered cool and stylish these days? You can't be serious?
    Last edited by Bad Brains; October-20-12 at 10:25 PM.

313 area code is almost exclusive to the City of Detroit which gives it its punch. Its cred got a big boost from the movie 8 Mile where is it figured in a rap battle scene, I forget exactly. Something about Eminem being form the 810 not the 313.

What's super hot now, of course, are the bazillions of versions of the olde English D. It always has been the most iconic Detroit symbol. While it originates from the Detroit Tigers, the fact that it is a long-established common font and therefore probably public domain allows its fair use without trademark infringement.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Brains View Post
    Every T-Shirt posted here looks terrible and anyone wearing one is a ....../hipster and/or someone from the suburbs who just comes into the city once in a while to go to a sporting event or overpay for Slows BBQ.

That is an AREA CODE for Christ's sake. Wearing a shirt with an area code is considered cool and stylish these days? You can't be serious?
    Are you also opposed to the "I heart NY" slogan on shirts? It's just a t shirt, relax.

Nice topic! I'd like to take a crack at redesigning the "Detroit 313" logo. Script does not work. Bolder more unique, yet still legible type face would be better...

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post

What's super hot now, of course, are the bazillions of versions of the olde English D. It always has been the most iconic Detroit symbol. While it originates from the Detroit Tigers, the fact that it is a long-established common font and therefore probably public domain allows its fair use without trademark infringement.
    I asked a store owner about this not too long ago, turns out to avoid lawsuits, all they have to do it remove a little overhang line on the left side of the English D. Also, they of course can't use "Detroit Tigers". At first glance the average person isn't going to notice a difference.

There's many different versions of Old English fonts , many are payfer's , a few aren't . I suppose if you could i.d. which one the Tigers use and use it in a way that appears to be copyright theft [[and make money) from the ballclub's logo you could find yourself in court . But if you used the same font as the Tigers use in other ways , you'd be alright ... they don't own the font . Many companies , sports teams , whoever pay to have a custom font made and its theirs and theirs alone . Old English Regular below . I meant to say the ''D'' is Old English Regular the rest is Calligraphic Medium ... but if the D were the same as the Tigers use and its a payfer or free font , my graphic wouldn't be a copyright violation with the way its displayed below .
    Attachment 16237
    Last edited by Wingnatic; October-21-12 at 05:33 PM.

Don't quote me on it, but I think the Tigers English "D" is altered slightly from the actual font just enough not to get sued. IF someone is savvy at looking up irrelevant historical information, I'd bet there is lot out there on the Tiger's logo.

Actually, I'm quite serious. I have two shirts, one says Detroit313 and the other is just "313," and I love them. Understand that I am a former Detroiter now living in FLA and for the people who spend their winters down here from Michigan, they see it and can totally relate to "313," especially those who had a 313 area code back in the day, but have now had to switch to 810 or one of the other area codes. For me, it's almost like wearing an olde English "D" shirt. It's a great way to represent the city of Detroit.

Heck, it's lots better than that Detroit shirt above with the text in the shape of a gun.

I am offering a line of shirts, hats under my brand name
    Strong Detroit
    Name:  navybluetshirtwlogo.jpg
Views: 1640
Size:  38.9 KB
    Available at www.strongdetroit.net

Down with Detroit has some pretty neat stuff, both city and sports related

http://downwithdetroit.spreadshirt.com/shop/designs

Ive beet trying to find wher I can get the shirt that simply says
    "DETROIT MOTHERFUCKER" I cant find them but know of them.
    Anyone, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Ive beet trying to find wher I can get the shirt that simply says
    "DETROIT MOTHERFUCKER" I cant find them but know of them.
    Anyone, anyone?

This is close.

http://www.duckmotherfucker.com/prod...-mother-fucker

I love my "Imported From Detroit" t shirt. I had proudly worn it while taking a picture in front of the new World Trade Center[[Freedom Tower) and in front of Radio City while I was in Manhattan this past summer. The tee shirt had gathered many glances while I had walked down 5th ave or 34th street.

Or someone who doesn't live in Detroit anymore and wants to support and/or be proud of their city. I love wearing my "Motor City" t-shirt around. Get lots of looks and smiles. Except when I wore in NY last week - the day after the Tigs kicked the Yankees' butts.. hahahaha

I recently had four t-shirts custom made.

Two were road symbols\highway shields:

M-102
    I-696

The third is just an old english D.

The fourth just says "NERD" across the front.

I find it funny when people are resentful toward all the positive attention that Detroit has been getting.

Yes, Detroit still has its issues, many neighborhoods are war-zones crime is out of control, etc...

However, tens of thousands of jobs have either moved to or have been created in Detroit. Downtown and midtown rent rates are skyrocketing with the lack of vacancies.

Yes, Detroit has the same issues it's had, but the big difference is that things are getting way better in midtown and downtown.

And if that makes someone excited enough to buy a T-shirt to show their support, that sounds great to me.

I am going to buy a Tiger's World Series shirt today, They probably cost a lot less now.Name:  images-1.jpg
Views: 1334
Size:  6.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ThisIsForTheHeart View Post
    The logo for 'made in Detroit' is a big turn off. I stay away from items that have that. It's creepy and hideous. Reminds me of a plumber.
    That and their HQ is in Warren, their contact info is a po box in Clarkston, and their customer service line is a 248 number.

From Bob himself in a rant against Susan Tompor calling him out for it...
    In addition, we have NEVER laid claim to our items actually being made in Detroit,"
    There is nothing wrong with being a Detroit booster, there is nothing wrong with making money off of hipsters desperate for some "cred" of some sort.... but ACTUALLY making the "MADE IN DETROIT" stuff in actual DETROIT would be nice.

Frankly until Bob actually does what his new nifty commercial says he's about, he' just a fucking hypocrite. Hey bob, how about renting some space in the ACTUAL D instead of Warren? Oh yeah, that might actually force you to deal with doing business here.
    Last edited by bailey; October-29-12 at 11:14 AM.

On a recent trip back home I stopped off in Hell, and my little highway icon that says Route 666 gets a lot of attention, since I wear it on my purse. But I also love my "I'm so fierce I vacation in Detroit" shirt, it gets some attention too.

I'd love a '313' shirt, I like to wear stuff that people have to either think about or already know, I'll be looking for one this Xmas when I come back.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast