Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Tigers to Play in World Series. Downtown and Detroit Big Winners.

Congrats Tigers and great news for downtown Detroit. Millions will be added to the local economy and downtown in particular will benefit. The story becomes more than about baseball and sports.

The success of the downtown sports teams are doing a lot to add to the district's continuing improvement and appeal.

It was a great night at the stadium tonight and more are to come. [And to the Yankees who kicked our butts all those past decades. Nah nah nuh nah nah bye bye! ]

Also, isn't it a great respite from politics and other controversies? For brief period of time we get to set aside all our differences, scream our heads off, and be all together with a clear common goal - whup the other team and become world champions. How could we make that happen in our other endeavors?

A couple images I found.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Let's pray this at least partially makes up for the losses served up by the bozos in the NHL...Go Tigers!

It's very good PR. I was eating at a restaurant in Manhattan Tuesday while game 3 was on in the background. The shot of the city's skyline behind center field seemed to catch the attention of the other people in the restaurant.

I am from NYC and a Yankees fan and am sad about the result, but now that the series is over, I wish the Tigers well in the World Series and hope they can bring a championship to Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by cman710 View Post
    I am from NYC and a Yankees fan and am sad about the result, but now that the series is over, I wish the Tigers well in the World Series and hope they can bring a championship to Detroit.
    We appreciate that cman. It had to be difficult watching your team lay an egg in the post season. My belief is that next year's Yankee team will be vastly different than this year's version.

My only hope is that by playing a non-competitive series we will not be caught off-guard against the National league's best.
    I'm hoping Leyland learned some things from 2006 and tries something different. This is a different team, but both St. Louis and SF will bring a whole new set of challenges to the Tigers.
    October baseball, you gotta love it!

I am mad. The rich folks and the "legal scalpers/ticket-brokers bought up all the tix; but I suppose that's par for the course. I wonder how many celebs who wouldn't otherwise be caught dead here will show up?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    I am mad. The rich folks and the "legal scalpers/ticket-brokers bought up all the tix; but I suppose that's par for the course. I wonder how many celebs who wouldn't otherwise be caught dead here will show up?
    By legal scalpers you don't even need to be referring to Stubhub. MLB [[of which the Tigers ownership is part) is charging so much more than they used to for post-season tickets it's crazy. I paid about 50 bucks for World Series tickets in 1984. Current tickets are 230-350. Inflation has not been 15% each year for the past 30 years.

^^ And that doesn't address the parking scalpers and the bars/restaurants/motels/hotels that will be tripling rates. Better hope your car doesn't get towed either.

One thing for sure though .... you'll know where to find a cop if you need one. There'll be three or four on every corner in that area.

Super news! I remember a month ago wondering if Detroit had any chance to win AL Central. A friend of mine and I were playing cards and decided that if Detroit didn't make the playoffs that it would be for the best, neither of us thought they would do anything in post season.

How wrong we were I'm glad to say. TIGERS ROCK!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    By legal scalpers you don't even need to be referring to Stubhub. MLB [[of which the Tigers ownership is part) is charging so much more than they used to for post-season tickets it's crazy. I paid about 50 bucks for World Series tickets in 1984. Current tickets are 230-350. Inflation has not been 15% each year for the past 30 years.
    It is still a lot but to get to 230-350 from 50 over 28 years, you only need between 6-7% annual inflation. Compounding matters.

Yankees are sitting ducks when A-Rod, Jeter and Granderson blew out their skills. Folks in NYC are saying, "How did those schmucks from a dead broke ghetto filled with black people beat our powerful team!"

Check the tickets for the playoff games at Yankee Stadium if you want to have a meltdown. 200-250 for Comerica is chump change by comparison.

I thought Mike Ilitch looked pretty old and worn during yesterday's after-game ceremonies. God bless him; I hope he still has years and years to go. He's 82, but showing his age. Out of curiosity, I looked him up in the 1940 U.S. Census report. The name appears there as "Ylitch", and the family lives at 8216 DeSoto, in the Fenkell-Cherrylawn area. Google street view shows his old home to be a vacant lot, as is most of the block. His parents, Samuel and Soutana, claim to be Yugoslav immigrants. Samuel is naturalized, but Soutana still claims alien status. Interesingly, Mikes older brother [[by 7 years) Peter was also born in Yougoslavia. Samuel owns the home, which he values at $3,000; a moderate price for the time. He's a lathe operator in an auto factory.

Cardinal fan here. Hopefully we'll be facing you in the World Series.

St. Louis and Detroit are similar cities, though Detroit is much bigger. Both are on the rise I think. Downtown St. Louis has improved a lot in just fifteen years, and it sounds like Detroit has, too.

If we get there, it should be a good series. Could go either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Check the tickets for the playoff games at Yankee Stadium if you want to have a meltdown. 200-250 for Comerica is chump change by comparison.
    Actually Yankee tickets were very comparable to Tigers. Those $1,500 corporate seats directly behind home plate in NY get all the publicity but most seats were no more than Detroit and their World Series prices had several sections at $191, cheaper than Detroit.
    The national media constantly talks about the blue collar Detroiters who are attending the games, while this is true and people spending every last cent they have for a ticket may or may not be admirable, MLB does everything possible to price the everyday fan out of the game. Baseball never used to be the NBA in that regard.

A few photos from last night at Comerica Park....we enjoyed the celebration outside the ballpark!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Quote Originally Posted by LeannaM View Post

St. Louis and Detroit are similar cities, though Detroit is much bigger. Both are on the rise I think. Downtown St. Louis has improved a lot in just fifteen years, and it sounds like Detroit has, too.
    I'd be surprised if SF made a comeback. The Cards have looked very good in the series. By the way, Leanna....I drove through St. Louis westbound at 7:00 a.m. last year. How is it that everyone who works in St. Louis lives in Illinois? At least, that's the way it seemed coming across the bridge.

Quite a few Downtown St. Louis workers live in Illinois. You wouldn't have noticed so much the ones coming from the county because they would be on different highways or eastbound 70.

Downtown St. Louis has about 11,000 residents. I'm not sure how many workers, though. Downtown Detroit seems more work-oriented, with more office buildings and workers. St. Louis Downtown is mostly residential, hotel, and entertainment with a few office buildings sprinkled in, though the tallest buildings we have are newer office buildings. St. Louis as a whole has its biggest industries in medical and financial services. Most of Downtown St. Louis' tallest buildings are new. We don't have many old tall buildings. Most of the short buildings Downtown are old brick/stone buildings.

Here's the tallest buildings in St. Louis
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_in_St._Louis
    Most of the taller ones are built since the 1960s. None are taller than the arch.

Why did Fox ONLY show the Nat. League games?

do retail stores have the AL champs gear yet?

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Why did Fox ONLY show the Nat. League games?
    Maybe this article will shed some light on the television contracts with MLB....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201....ap/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    do retail stores have the AL champs gear yet?
    Yes, I saw ads in today's paper for Tigers AL Champs merchandise at Dick's. And I've heard that Meijer and Kohl's also is selling champs apparel.

When Mike Illitch was in the media when the NHL announced that the Wings were getting the Winter Classic and after game 4 , was a huge difference and it hasn't been that long . I think he may be sick as everyone has been taking about it on Red Wings boards . The money coming in from 2 maybe 3 home games will be tremendous for the city , but unfortunately we lose approx. $3 million per home game with no hockey . I hope Mr.I gets his World Series ring because he's not looking too good right now .

My Cardinals rolled over and died, so I'm rooting for the Tigers to win the World Series. It's been longer for the Tigers and Giants fans are obnoxious.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast