Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Stanford Ovshinsky Detroit Inventor RIP

Stanford Ovshinsky, the energy behind Energy Conversion Devices and much more, has passed away at age 89.

He was a true genius and pioneer in photo-electric conversion.

Read more on Crain's Detroit Business.

I just read this. Truely an inspirational man. Never connected Harvey with him until I read it in the paper!

This amazing man is responsible for solar powered calculators, laptop batteries and so much more. He cared about green power, civil rights, world peace and more.

Thank you so much, Stan Ovshinsky!

Harvey O sure looks like his Dad. See Stanford Ovshinsky here:

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2012/10/...ky-dies-at-89/

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I just read this. Truely an inspirational man. Never connected Harvey with him until I read it in the paper!
    Stan O. will be at peace - but he will never rest! He was one of America's great pioneers! I met him in the 1960s when I was a student and he indeed inspired me. What a dynamo - what a man!!

Most inventors, discoverers, scientist-geniuses are not good businesspeople - Stan was great at raising capital, getting people interested, starting a company - and he never gave up!! Ideas flowed from him like water over Niagara Falls.

I hope that the people of Michigan realize what a treasure they had in their midst...

The most impressive thing he invented as far as I am concerned was a roof shingle that also was a solar collector. Its ashame his company forced him out and went down the crapper.
    http://www.pbs.org/saf/1506/features/ovshinsky.htm