Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Been kind of quiet on DY lately, so I'll take this pause to post a photo of the lady I was referring to, Elizabeth Beidler Downing, 1794 - 1868. Tough old gal, I'd guess. She remained faithful to the LDS to her last day, dying in Nauvoo, Illinois, although well after the Mormon exodus of 1847.

Interesting part of your family history, Ray! Their religious beliefs might seem kind of wacky to me, but I'm sure that others feel the same way about mine. I must say that all of the Mormons I've met and worked with seemed to be friendly, family-focused and of generally good character.

LDS "Detroit" Temple Dedicated 1999

http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/detroit/

Interesting other Detroit locations:

Large senior apt building on Lahser at Verne used to be LDS. Probably the church in front of it too. Now Community of Christ Detroit Hope.

There is still an LDS temple on Nine Mile and Hunter Lane in Southfield.

That reminds me, summer before last, for the very first time that I know of, I was visited in my Southfield home by two very young men in nice black suites and ties. They introduced themselves as Elders from the Church of LDS. Did the expected proselytizing and moved on, have not seen them since.

Wikipedia tries to sort out confusing identities of LDS places of worship, wards, branches, stakes. Some discussion on general locations in the Detroit area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chu...ts_in_Michigan
    Last edited by gazhekwe; March-31-15 at 01:06 PM.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    Interesting part of your family history, Ray! Their religious beliefs might seem kind of wacky to me, but I'm sure that others feel the same way about mine. I must say that all of the Mormons I've met and worked with seemed to be friendly, family-focused and of generally good character.
    Agree, Mike. On those few occasions where the young missionaries have stopped at my home, I've always invited them in, told them thanks but no thanks on religion, then started a fine discussion on geneology. They love it. Especially when I throw out my connections, thin as then are, to Brigham Young and Heber Kimball, early mucky-wucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Agree, Mike. On those few occasions where the young missionaries have stopped at my home, I've always invited them in, told them thanks but no thanks on religion, then started a fine discussion on geneology. They love it. Especially when I throw out my connections, thin as then are, to Brigham Young and Heber Kimball, early mucky-wucks.
    Ray, have you ever been to the LDS Family History Library in Salt Lake City? We were there for 3-4 days last fall and were amazed at the sheer volume of materials. We'll likely go back this year.

Yup, been there, Jim. Need to return some day...."sheer volume" is an understatement. The city itself is very beautiful and well worth a visit in itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Yup, been there, Jim. Need to return some day...."sheer volume" is an understatement. The city itself is very beautiful and well worth a visit in itself.
    I agree. My wife disappeared everyday about noon to attend the free organ recital in the Tabernacle. If I remember correctly, the organ has 11,000+ pipes. We promised ourselves a trip out to Antelope island the next time.

The whole state is magnificent, including the five national parks. Unfortunately, Utah is closed on Sunday.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2