Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Say nice things about Detroit

You might have noticed that my threads are from a positive perspective. That's because I am trying to look at things in that way. I am even producing a documentary which I have titled "The Great Detroit? It was-It is-It will be"

Can you post a positive thought about Detroit?

For example, if you were telling someone about Detroit and had a vested interest in convincing them that Detroit is the city to live in, or just visit, what would you say?

To see a short version of my film: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSCmzNOIFlg

Detroit has some of the best food around...

*Better Made Chips
    *Faygo Pop
    *Pizzapapalis
    *Detroit-style Pizza [[Buddy's, Loui's, etc.)
    *Coney Island

I stay away from everything you are mentioning! Most everyone from out of town already knows about that/them. I never try to talk them into "liking" the city, their prejudices are nearly impossible to overcome. But then there is seeing! A good tour of the city avoiding the usual suspects usually does the trick. Unfortunately that also includes areas of the city that almost all metro Detroit residents have never been to. While I love living in the metro area and do not plan on moving, this city is not for the faint of heart! My first question for transplants is why are you here, they are so used to being asked if they like the city they tend to be less defensive and more open. Most cannot wait to leave but once and awhile I come across someone who gets it.
    Most of what is good about the city is very well documented! I keep wondering why you keep asking when everything you seen to want is right there in front of you.

Born in Detroit, so little choice in that. Still striving to stay - and not becoming isolated is key to living here. There's a level of familiarity that helps, albeit much has changed. For sure life in the D is not for the faint of heart... you best be-up-and-aware of your surroundings and keep in company of others that have goals and shared 'values'.

Living her in part is about staying connected to those who are striving to do constructive things and maintain standards and a positive attitude as much as possible.

There's a vibe I feel every time I am in the city. I can't describe it, but it is there.

One could say that Detroit is full with good solid movers and shakers and it isn't clickish [[sorry about the spelling) and that there's so much to do it will make your head shake

Riverfront or canal-front property for under 10K.

Best damn houses money can buy. Get them before they're gone [[scrapped and burned, that is, but hey, we're being positive here).

Zero Traffic

Cheap rent [[except for Corridor and downtown)

It can be a bit "clique-ish" but I try to avoid that. Unless [[smile) that "clique" is about something positive and good standards, onward, and upward for the city!

Quote Originally Posted by Strong View Post
    One could say that Detroit is full with good solid movers and shakers and it isn't clickish [[sorry about the spelling) and that there's so much to do it will make your head shake

Well, there's so much vacant land in certain areas that a person could build a house and not have any neighbors, just lots of wide open spaces. Sort of like a country home in the city.

Many of us have and have adapted to that open, country feel. The rabbits and pheasants seem to like it too...

It's not all bad so long as you purchase and maintain the lots near you. Otherwise you have elephant grass with a ditched car, or whatever adjacent to you. Not a good time...

Quote Originally Posted by MaxCady View Post
    Well, there's so much vacant land in certain areas that a person could build a house and not have any neighbors, just lots of wide open spaces. Sort of like a country home in the city.

We got the nicest food market in the country. Our riverfront is very nice.
    Belle Isle is special with tons to do.

"Say Nice Things About Detroit" was a slogan back in the 1970 by pig-tailed Detroit booster Emily Gail, the sister of television actor Max Gail.

She had a small gift shop at Congress & Shelby back then, and sold items with the slogan and other pro Detroit printing on it.

Then she headed to Hawaii, and has spent the last 26 years of her life there... but her heart was always in Detroit... Here's a Detroit News article about her return visit this summer...
    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...ON03/206190325

What happened to "Pooh"? No more?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    What happened to "Pooh"? No more?
    http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...p?303-Max-Gail

GUSHI Guest

Your can acquire enough land to have a farm in a major American city, were else can you do that,

I like that unique urban farm option! very cool! Detroit has always had a solid feel to it, a groundedness I think, in the people, which I love. Also, it's north of Canada!

If you can buy land land cheap enough to farm it profitably, then you are talking about a rural area. Rural area can't possibly support dense populations, almost by definition. That's why I cringe whenever I read anything about agriculture in Detroit. You almost have to root against it, because if it succeeds, Detroit is not a city.

Quote Originally Posted by prokopowicz View Post
    If you can buy land land cheap enough to farm it profitably, then you are talking about a rural area. Rural area can't possibly support dense populations, almost by definition. That's why I cringe whenever I read anything about agriculture in Detroit. You almost have to root against it, because if it succeeds, Detroit is not a city.
    My grandfather moved to Detroit from Kentucky in 1920 to farm and work for Ford Motor Co. In the 50's the City of Detroit told him he could no longer farm in Detroit. So he moved to a small farming community about 15 miles west of Port Huron. I am sure there are a lot of people in Detroit who come from a long line of farmers. Instead of rooting against farming Detroiters should go back to their roots and start farming again. There are many Detroiters with very extensive gardens in their backyards. My father had one until he died at the age of 92. So this is not something they have to learn how to do. As far as raising livestock at least the folks at the Eastern Market won't have to go outside of the city to get cows, pigs, goats, turkeys, and chickens.

Quote Originally Posted by prokopowicz View Post
    I could not agree more! Some very specialized small scale farming[[something like the Ferry Seed Company with it operated here) and of course private farming are just fine, but that is all we need!

My daughter visited Detroit last year. What surprised her was the degree to which the people she met were competent and went out of their way to help. She managed to lose her phone on that trip. The person who found it phoned someone on her contact list, said he would be gone, but to look for it in his milk chute. She wrote him a thank you note when she got back to the Twin Cities.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    "Say Nice Things About Detroit" was a slogan back in the 1970 by pig-tailed Detroit booster Emily Gail, the sister of television actor Max Gail.

She had a small gift shop at Congress & Shelby back then, and sold items with the slogan and other pro Detroit printing on it.

Then she headed to Hawaii, and has spent the last 26 years of her life there... but her heart was always in Detroit... Here's a Detroit News article about her return visit this summer...
    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...ON03/206190325
    Heh - I kinda, sorta beat you to it:
    http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...-about-Detroit

Hey Oladub... nice for you to visit the Detroit side of the site ......

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    My daughter visited Detroit last year. What surprised her was the degree to which the people she met were competent and went out of their way to help. She managed to lose her phone on that trip. The person who found it phoned someone on her contact list, said he would be gone, but to look for it in his milk chute. She wrote him a thank you note when she got back to the Twin Cities.

Say Nice Things About Detroit - that statement sooooooooooooo belongs to Emily Gail - she was in Detroit in June I think....not to mention that it's the title of a book by Scott Lasser.....Hate to be sarcastic - but hope that all of you that are feeding the posts get at least a by-line in the "documentary"...just the way I feel