Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default New Detroit-Based Tyler Perry Movie Loaded with Detroit Scenes

Packard, Michigan Theater and more... Should be fun to watch if just for the scenery.

Dialogue? Hmmm...

"How you going to convince me to leave Detroit?"

"With the National Guard and a drink. [snickers]"

That line gave me a chuckle lol.
    I get so happy/excited when a movie or tv show's filmed here. It's nice seeing familiar scenes from around town on the big&small screen.

Just today I saw this trailer on TLC. But I saw it here first!

To paraphrase the comedian who opened for Louis CK yesterday: "I may have been accidentally lobotomized by my dentist, but at least I can now enjoy Tyler Perry movies..."

I remember when they were filming. I just didn't make the connection. I wish the Governor had not cut the tax incentives which its easy to see the slow down in Detroit films.

LOL! All TP movies are not so bad, but if that genre is not your set then well... The initial problem is that Perry's early films were adaptations from his theater work and what works in the theater does not always convey to film! I like all kinds of film genres except horror-gore and Tyler Perry has made an impact in the industry IMO.

Also, it needs to be noted, he about more than the 'Madea' comedy style. I've really enjoyed his later dramatic works. But I also like some of the comedy, but preferred it on stage. Perry had a huge following for the plays here in the Detroit. He knows that... Good he filmed here.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    To paraphrase the comedian who opened for Louis CK yesterday: "I may have been accidentally lobotomized by my dentist, but at least I can now enjoy Tyler Perry movies..."

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    LOL! All TP movies are not so bad, but if that genre is not your set then well... The initial problem is that Perry's early films were adaptations from his theater work and what works in the theater does not always convey to film! I like all kinds of film genres except horror-gore and Tyler Perry has made an impact in the industry IMO.

Also, it needs to be noted, he about more than the 'Madea' comedy style. I've really enjoyed his later dramatic works. But I also like some of the comedy, but preferred it on stage. Perry had a huge following for the plays here in the Detroit. He knows that... Good he filmed here.
    Alex Cross actually isn't a Tyler Perry film. He is playing the lead character, but didn't have any part in production, direction or writing [[Thank God!).

Thanks for the clarification. I will look at the trailer, etc. to check out the film...

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    Alex Cross actually isn't a Tyler Perry film. He is playing the lead character, but didn't have any part in production, direction or writing [[Thank God!).

go to youtube and watch 'kill the irishman' and 'game of death' the wesley snipes version.
    you will see alot of detroit in both although only 'game of death' is based in detroit.
    just watched them both today.

who knows.. I'm sure he knows about the [[reduced) film incentives in Michigan by now.. maybe somebody can convince him to film something here someday soon..

Alas, it's apparently not very good.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...er-not-tension

I just saw it. It is chock full of Detroit scenes with one of the biggest being an extended final climactic scene in the Michigan Theater.

The lighting they did in the balcony areas is rather dramatic. Actually made it very beautiful.

As for the movie, it's not exactly high filmic art but it was a fun and action-packed popcorn movie. It's a formulaic action revenge movie.

The opening scene is an long scene in the Packard Plant including [possibly] some of the tunnels. Another big scene takes place in Compuware, a cage-fighting scene in the abandoned church at Woodward and Philadelphia, and uses a long moving segment on the People Mover.

There are scenes that appear to use Grosse Pointe[?] mansions, a loft that appears to be in Rivertown, and the bad guys place also somewhere along the water front. Maybe some of the sleuths here can ID those.

I may have to see this.

Not my genre to pay $$ at the theater, but I'd definitely rent the DVD for the Detroit factor.

Was that 1300 Beaubien they sent a rocket into??

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    Was that 1300 Beaubien they sent a rocket into??
    I could not ID that building. I saw in the credits that they did some work in Cleveland and it almost seemed like that scene was patched together from Detroit and somewhere else.

I am guessing they extracted film credits wherever possible.

Nonetheless, I have never seen a movie with more Detroit backdrop and settings.

Can't anybody make a movie [[and I don't mean a documentary) set in Detroit that is outside the shoot-em-up genre?
    Last edited by Király; October-21-12 at 04:23 PM.

Speaking of bad movies filmed in Detroit, did Red Dawn ever get released?

401don, it will be released in theatres on November 21st.

Quote Originally Posted by ASR89 View Post
    401don, it will be released in theatres on November 21st.
    Thanks, should be able to see it on dvd a couple of weeks later.

Quote Originally Posted by Király View Post
    Can't anybody make a movie [[and I don't mean a documentary) set in Detroit that is outside the shoot-em-up genre?
    One would think the award winning book Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides would be a candidate. I am surprised that a book that has sold over 3 milliion copies has not been made into a movie. Searching imdb.com, the mother load of all things film, it does not even appear in a search.

I wouldn't necessarily say it is "chock full" of scenes of Detroit. The People Mover" scene was the weirdest, because it seems that they launch the rocket from the PM [[I didn't know that the PM also had a horn - oh, that's right, it doesn't), and the building where it impacts is somewhere else, probably Cleveland. It didn't look liek anything in Detroit, and the street it was on was "Lakeside."

All in all, the movie totally sucked, bad script, no development where it would have been good to develope, and I'm sorry but Tyler Perry, though buff, is NOT an action hero. Wait for Red Box.

BTW, for anyone who did see it, where was the restaurant scene shot?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post

Its almost always a mistake to underestimate popular culture. His stage shows reminded me of Flip Wilson more than anything. Not Shakespeare. But great fun. I just saw his interview on Charlie Rose the other day. Seems like a very straightforward and insightful guy.