Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Uptown Detroit, Palmer Woods area is rebranding itself

Palmer Park area begins to rebrand itself as Uptown Detroit

The Palmer Park/University District communities are undergoing a bit of grassroots rebranding this year now that a growing number of local residents and stakeholders are referring to the area as Uptown Detroit.

"We just kind of came up with the name," says Sarah James, a board member for the People for Palmer Park. "We were thinking of the Woodward corridor and how there is downtown and Midtown and we are the farthest up Woodward."

Uptown Detroit will encompass the Woodward corridor between McNichols Avenue and 8 Mile Road. The area currently consists of a variety of neighborhoods, including Palmer Park, Palmer Woods, State Fair, Sherwood Forest, Green Acres, University District, Chaldeantown and Highland Park.

Local stakeholders like James are hoping to leverage a fresh, all-encompassing brand to boost the momentum that has come from a number of new developments, such as the redevelopment of a number of Palmer Park's apartment buildings and the planting of fruit orchards throughout the park.

The collection of neighborhoods that now fall under the Midtown Detroit banner underwent a similar transformation a decade ago when local leaders combined a fresh brand with the momentum from local developments. The people behind the Uptown Detroit effort are hoping to follow the same game plan to success.

http://www.modeldmedia.com/devnews/p...oit100912.aspx
    Last edited by Lowell; October-14-12 at 09:22 AM.

I always thought this to be true about that area because it's like the last wealthy stable area in the city.

GUSHI Guest

Chaldean town and highland park r ghetto, they should make the rest gated communities

I don't see any mention of Martin Park. Kind of odd because the neighborhood borders the University District on the south, Highland Park on the west and is completely adjacent to the U of D campus. Martin Park is also much more liveable than Chaldean Town, State Fair and HP.

that some good news for highland park. being smacked in between to growing areas should do them some good [[palmer park an.d midtown) but for real can we keep calling Palmer park Palmer park? uptown just seems lame...

You can call it what ever you want. Doesn't mean a hill of beans if the cops don't show up in less than two minutes, or if the street lights don't work.

BTW the latest rash of burglaries in Green Acres and Palmer Woods are people coming from the cemetery.
    Last edited by Hamtragedy; October-14-12 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by louis View Post
    ....... can we keep calling Palmer park Palmer park? uptown just seems lame...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^I agree.

LOL - "Uptown" isn't exactly what comes to mind when I envision the area south of 7 and east of Woodward. Streets like W. Robinwood look like something out of The Walking Dead.

BTW the latest rash of burglaries in Green Acres and Palmer Woods are people coming from the cemetery.[/QUOTE]

Zombie burglars?

Quote Originally Posted by louis View Post
    that some good news for highland park. being smacked in between to growing areas should do them some good [[palmer park an.d midtown) but for real can we keep calling Palmer park Palmer park? uptown just seems lame...
    Highland Park isn't "smacked in between growing areas". The areas just to the north and south are some of the most devastated in Detroit.

The article, BTW, is just a press release-type story to coincide with the Palmer Woods home tour. That neighborhood, while still beautiful as ever, has never been cheaper than today. If there's a revival, it certainly isn't reflected in the sales prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I don't see any mention of Martin Park. Kind of odd because the neighborhood borders the University District on the south, Highland Park on the west and is completely adjacent to the U of D campus. Martin Park is also much more liveable than Chaldean Town, State Fair and HP.
    I agree. I've spent a lot of time there and it's one of those very nice neighborhoods that people don't seem to know about. And you've got the Dexter bus line and the Lodge Freeway running right through so it's easy to get anywhere you need to go.

That area could use a bit more shopping, I think, but then where would you put it.

Hmm, they may as well 'rise up' and join the mayhem it can be argued...... tis the season!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    BTW the latest rash of burglaries in Green Acres and Palmer Woods are people coming from the cemetery.
    Zombie burglars?[/QUOTE]

I was thinking that. Midtown really ends at Woodward and West Grand Blvd and there are many 'dicey' blocks after Euclid on up thru Calvert where HP starts! Even if you go up Hamilton it's really dicey up into the true HP from that angle...

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Highland Park isn't "smacked in between growing areas". The areas just to the north and south are some of the most devastated in Detroit.

The article, BTW, is just a press release-type story to coincide with the Palmer Woods home tour. That neighborhood, while still beautiful as ever, has never been cheaper than today. If there's a revival, it certainly isn't reflected in the sales prices.
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-14-12 at 01:42 PM.

Right. Third and Waverly is a joy as is Hamilton and Puritan -- most of Hamilton period until it turns to Pontchetrain after 6 mile!

Quote Originally Posted by MaxCady View Post
    LOL - "Uptown" isn't exactly what comes to mind when I envision the area south of 7 and east of Woodward. Streets like W. Robinwood look like something out of The Walking Dead.

7 and Woodward hasn't been called chaldaean town in years... Them folks moved away long ago, that's why it looks the way it does now. The neighbors just call it "the woods."I wrote a paper about that hood in college.

With the stuff I could tell you guys about northcentral Detroit, I'd be posting here for days.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    7 and Woodward hasn't been called chaldaean town in years... Them folks moved away long ago, that's why it looks the way it does now. The neighbors just call it "the woods."I wrote a paper about that hood in college.

With the stuff I could tell you guys about northcentral Detroit, I'd be posting here for days.

Thats why is looks the way it does now?

The Chaldean's came in in the late 60s after the riots when white flight was is full swing. They bought up everything along John R and 7Mile. They trashed all the businesses and opened clubs and hang outs. They trashed all the housing stock and began burning garages for insurance. This was where the term Devils Night first got coined. The area went to Hell in a hurry and they left. Anyone familiar with that area from the 50s and 60s cringe at the name Chaldean Town.

Wasn't there a movie theatre called the Uptown in HP near Palmer Park?

The theater was the Six Mile Uptown at the corner of Six Mile [[McNichols) and Woodward. It ran first run movies...as a kid, I spent many happy afternoons there in the 60s. It became an XXX rated movie palace in the 70s, now its an adult entertainment complex. Just passed there last night on the way home from the Old Miami.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post

Cheaper but not cheap, especially by Detroit standards. The houses in University District and Sherwood Forest still go for between 100k and 200k quite easily, in a city where 1k-10k are the norm.

I'm starting to notice the rising tide of Midtown lifting other boats. Not everybody wants to live in an apartment, and the housing stock in these areas are among the best in the region. While police response and schools may be shitty, the neighborhoods have remained cohesive and vigilant. That really goes a long way.

Uptown Detroit? I'm not sold on that. Kind of cheesy. Sherwood Forest, Palmer Woods, University District, and Green Acres always immediately brought to my mind "good neighborhoods" but I guess it helps when you're a Detroiter and know the city.