Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Paging Gannon, Gazhekwe, Mikefmich, et al,

Paging Gannon, Gazhekwe, Mikefmich, et al,

Last week, our daily and Sunday newspaper, the ‘Arizona Daily Star,’ finally published an article that I could adhere to.
    Jim Harrison, author, was the subject.
    I wondered if any of you would be familiar with any of the names or places.
    I have traveled through that part of the U. P., many times, but I never made any personal connections.

The Sucker River is my kind of fashionable terminology, for a river.

Jim Harrison's fabled getaway cabin is located just outside Grand Marais on the Sucker River: a place where he and many of his characters would go to eat and drink.

Upper Peninsula: Inspiration's home
    Rural Michigan region is the setting for vibrant novels of Jim Harrison.

By Gary Porter
    MILWAUKEE JOURNAL SENTINEL

GRAND MARAIS, Mich. - I'm sitting in the Voyageurs Motel looking out over West Bay at Grand Marais, in Michigan's Up -per Peninsula. The light is dwin.dling. Fresh from a meal of poached whitefish at the Dunes Saloon, it feels like the perfect time to begin this story.
    The breeze is gone, except for the fan in the corner, but the setting sun striking the clouds res.onates with the evocative writing of one of my favorite authors, Jim Harrison.
    Ever since Harrison's novella "The Woman Lit By Fireflies" crossed my path about 25 years ago, I've read everything by him I can get my hands on. [[He's published more than 30 books of po.etry, fiction and nonfiction.)
    Harrison's descriptions and in.sights cut to the bone with the sparseriess of Hemingway, to whom he is often compared, al.though he professes not to be a fan.
    He writes from the expansive -ness of locations such as the Up.per Peninsula, and the far South.western desert near Patagonia, Ariz. Places as big and open as his vision.
    Tomorrow I'll go out with an old hunting and fishing buddy of Harrison's, Mike Ballard, abig, burly bear of a man, who lives on 40 acres outside Grand Marais. Mike recalls with fondness the days when Harrison would stay at his little cabin near the Sucker River to retreat, often to write and enjoy the wilderness of the Upper Peninsula. Ballard looked out for the place when Harrison was gone.
    I was privileged to visit the cab.in, a location that is kept relatively quiet around here by the locals. Harrison sold the cabin in the ear.ly 2000s when he and his wife, Linda, moved to Livingston, Mont., to be closer to their daugh.ters.
    Ballard says he knew Harrison before he became well-known as an author and thinks of him as "just Jim, a real good human be -ing, who would give you his last nickel if you needed it."
    Ballard is the inspiration for several characters in Harrison's novels, although Ballard says he doesn't really like that because he's always the bad guy, which he doesn't come across as to me.
    In one novel he is portrayed as a lousy ship captain who drowned his whole crew on Lake Superior and threw a man through a plate -glass window. In "True North" he is transformed into the character of Mick, David Burkette 's hunting and fishing buddy, an honest, straightforwardfriend who owns the Dunes Saloon, although he doesn't anymore.
    Harrison lived for years on a farm with his family on the Leele -nau Peninsula near Traverse City in northern Michigan, but he pur.chased his remote cabin near Grand Marais in the UP with an early royalty check. It reminded him of the cabin where he grew up with the love of fishing, hunting and roaming the expanses of for-est.
    After years of eking out a mea.ger living as a writer, he was no.ticed by Hollywood and began writing screenplays from some of his novels and novellas, including "Legends of the Fall," starring Brad Pitt; "Wolf," with Jack Nicholson; and "A Good Day to Die." Harrison spent a decade back and forth between Michigan and Hollywood until he finally decid.ed, as he puts it, that the greed wasn't worth it.
    Many of his books come at the same characters from different di-rections.His descriptions of the Upper Peninsula made me wdnt to come here and see some of the places that inhabit his writing for myself.
    "The Upper Peninsula has been pretty much ignored by the rest of the culture and consequently was free to evolve into its own," Harri.son wrote me in a note forwarded by his secretary. "This is wonder -ful for a fiction writer, as most ar.eas of the U. S. have been flagged to death and are mere shreds of the dominant superculture."
    While visiting Marquette, Mich., recently, I got some in.sights into Harrison's writing by talking with writer John Smolens, also a friend of the author's. "He writes the way he talks," Smolens said. "He has such a vigorous mind, he can't sit still."
    "His prose has a lot of jazz in it." Then he ruminates, "Maybe that's why he's so big in France."
    Smolens was partially respon-
    sible for having a suite at the Landmark Hotel [[Harrison's fa.vorite hotel in Marquette) named for Harrison. The Jim Harrison Suite is where Harrison stays when he's in town and has copies of several of his books and other memorabilia. When Harrison learned of the suite's name, Smolens said he asked, "How you gonna decorate it, with abunch of empty wine bottles and cigarette butts?"
    Ballard took me on a tour around the areas south of Grand Marais where he and Harrison used to roam.
    The Kingston Plains is an eerie stretch of land that used to be full of majestic old-growth pines, but was strip-logged in the 1800s, then ravaged by a massive forest fire. The weathered stumps, still visible, dot the landscape like tombstones in a cemetery. Few new trees ever grew back.
    Harrison writes in many of his books about this devastation, coming at it through the view.point of different characters, but most famously the Burkettes, a fictitious family of six generations living in Marquette, whose first generations were greedy lumber and mining barons in the UP.
    Harrison loved to walk for hours on the Kingston Plains to clear his mind.
    Ballard also took me to an area known as the "Whitewash," where an old, whitewashed lumbering lodge used to stand. There he showed me the biggest old-growth white -pine stump I've ever seen, nestled in a gully. Big enough to crawl inside, as some of
    Harrison's character do.
    Although Harrison's writings cover the expanse of the Upper Peninsula and northern Michigan, I concentrated on the stretch from Big Bay, a little west of Marquette where the Yellow Dog River flows into Lake Superior, and on along the Lake Superior shoreline east to Grand Marais, where Harrison's beloved cabin is located.
    Seeing his cabin on the Sucker River was a rare privilege. I pic.tured him writing at his table by the window that looks out over a horseshoe bend of the pristine trout stream, where he used to fish and swim. Ballard said he would often find him there sitting in a chair, chest deep in the water, just thinking and enjoying.
    Ballard tells the story of one time they were out hunting and Ballard shot a bird that fell on the other side of the river, but the bird dog didn't want to go across. Bal.lard began taking off his clothes to fetch it himself. When Harrison saw him, he asked what the heck he was doing, and just plunged across the chest-deep river fully dressed, brought the bird back, and continued hunting soaking wet for the rest of the day.
    Ballard also tells a couple of funny one-eyed stories, about how Harrison would sometimes bump into trees on his left side while walking through the woods because he was blind on that side from a childhood injury. Accord.ing to one account in "The Raw and the Cooked," he was poked in the eye with a broken bottle by a 7-year-old girl while playing doctor as a young boy.

Aaah, what a beautiful story! I agree, the names evoke the place in memory. I can almost smell the woods on the wind.

Sucker River -- Sucker is of course a pretty common fish. It has importance in Anishinaabe culture. In the fourth Moon [[what we call April), Sucker goes to the spirit world to bring back cleansing techniques to purify this world. On returning, Sucker cleans a path for the spirits, and cleanses all the water beings, of which Sucker is one. During this moon, we can learn to heal ourselves and begin to learn to heal others.

Suckers have big lips and no teeth, and they live by vacuuming plants, animals and organic matter off the bottom of rivers and streams where they live. They are plentiful and people of the river country will eat them. They have lots of little bones so the eating technique requires a lot of sucking. You can't just gobble them down.

Yellow Dog River -- We crossed the Yellow Dog Plain one year on a two track road that was then the only way to get from Skanee near Keweenaw Bay to Big Bay near Marquette. There were beautiful vistas of the plains, the Huron Mountains and some beautiful waterfalls on the Yellow Dog and Salmon Trout Rivers. Eagle Rock is out there, a sacred site for the Keweenaw Bay Band of Chippewa Indians. Sadly, Eagle Rock has been desecrated by the Kennecott Mining Company which has fenced it off and tunneled under it to mine nickel. The mine goes under the Salmon Trout River. Offcasts of sulfide from the mine will be piled like a moonscape and endanger the Salmon Trout and Yellow Dog Rivers and ultimately Lake Superior, into which they flow. Check out Sudbury, Ontario on Google Satellite for a good view of the result of nickel mining.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; October-12-12 at 03:02 PM.

Thoughts of the UP are always bitterweet.....I fully expected to spend a goodly chunk of time in retirement on my property near Boot Lake. Sometimes life throws one unexpected curveballs, now I sit in this infernal Buckeye country.

My good friends lived almost on a straight line from Seney into Munising. I hiked the PR trail from Grand Marais to Miner's Castle more than once, and fished and hunted the hell out of that region.

GM was always special....the litle old bar in town where one could always get a fried whitefish dinner....the little botique food place of late. I only stayed in motels in GR a couple times, I was either staying at friends near Shingleton or Melstrand, and if I was off in the woods I'd pitch my tent west of GM where the Hurricane River dumps into Superior or at Kingston Lake.

All my local hunting and fishing buddies are now passed, save for one. A couple of them way too young to be gone even now.

Last time I crossed and returned down below was in 2008. I pulled off into Mackinaw City to take a long look at the bridge I've crossed a zillion times.....wondering if I'd ever see it again.

Sucker River over by GM I think crossed near the little airport.

Kingston Plains area I fished a lot, and where I did most all my bear hunting at, and down into Beaver Basin. So pristine....the forests....the air...the water. I can almost smell it now.

Thanks tpone....I think.