Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Question about Fox seating - Mezzanine vs. Main Floor for a Sr. Citizen

Earlier this year, I asked my ailing grandma if she liked Jazz, with the thought of taking her to Cliff Bells in mind for an old-timey night out.

She said "No, bunch of racket. I like Sinatra and Dean Martin and that kind of music." I knew the last part, but didn't know how she felt about jazz, so Cliff's was out.

So this Rat Pack event is coming to the Fox and it seems like the perfect event. Old-timey opulence and the music she likes, perfect! Especially for what may be her last "night out" given, unfortunately, the way she's going.

With that in mind, seats are still available on the mezzanine and ground floor levels. Sight lines aren't so much an issue, since she's close to but not blind -- access [[she has a walker, may be in a chair by the time the show comes around in a bit over a month) and acoustics are the big issue.

So... mezzanine or floor seats? Any help is appreciated. I'm betting that this'll be one of those things that just makes her day, so I'm trying to give her the best experience possible.

Thanks for any advice.

I don't have that info, but from the Olympia web site:

Accessible seating tickets can be purchased by calling Helen McMorris [[313-471-3283) or Francis Coone [[313-471-3281) in the Box Office.

I worked in the Fox when I was younger [[college, and first few years of moonlighting from my day job) selling concert t-shirts. My parents are aging and have some mobility issues so I share some of your issues.

There are elevators in the Fox on the N side of the lobby.

Mezzanine seating is the first five or six rows of the balcony you step down to get to them. Galleries A-C require stepping up. Mezz seats are generally the best in house.

If there are serious mobility issues the Fox has places at the rear of the main floor, but the acoustic there suck and you generally get way too much bass. I'd recommend a transfer to a real seat somewhere else in the house.

Mezz, Gallery A down low and center of main floor of the house will be your best bets for sound. Its your call for mobility. ADA bathrooms are on the main level on the South Side. The balcony I would suggest Mezz or Gallery A for bathroom access as C is too far, and Gallery B baths are on the small side.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; October-12-12 at 10:48 AM.

Thanks!

Got some Mezz seats. I've only sat in the main floor, which is probably too far down for her if we get a good/middle seat, and the loge, which, well, hur hur yeah right, not gonna happen this time.

Here's wishing for the best. It's basically in the doors and over to those two giant old elevators on the right, then up, then over to our seats, so it shouldn't be too bad on her.

Thanks again!

DetroitPlanner -- wow, what a thorough, specific and detailed answer! That was an excellent and helpful reply, for many beyond just the OP. Thank you for that.

Eber Brock Ward -- I hope you have a great time with your grandmother. How thoughtful and accommodating you are!

Yes DetroitPlanner beat me to it... the name mezzanine is kind of misleading sometimes. Usually it means the loge or box level... which at the Fox are private and pricey seats [[and not all that great since you're under the balcony overhang).

The seats that DP mentioned have the best sound in the Fox. The worst... under the box level on the main floor... 2nd worst... the seats in front of the worst [[on main floor), but only have the balcony overhang above you.

The balcony at the Fox has seats labeled "Mezzanine", and behind it "Gallery A", then "Gallery B" and then "Gallery C"... but they're all still balcony seats.

I agree with Gistok, the sound on the main floor is terrible, especially in front of the balcony. Probably with the Rat Pack music, you won't have the problem of people standing up in front of you. The last time we went, we couldn't hear from the bad sound and we couldn't see from the rude people. When we complained, we got, "What do you expect? It's Bob Dylan." Well, I certainly didn't expect all the old codgers to be standing up in front of the old codgers who wanted to sit in the seats they paid for.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I don't have that info, but from the Olympia web site:

Accessible seating tickets can be purchased by calling Helen McMorris [[313-471-3283) or Francis Coone [[313-471-3281) in the Box Office.
    Follow this advice.

Detroit Planner's general advice also quite good.

One note to all... sound is usually the fault [[or result) of the show's touring engineer and the show's touring loudspeakers [[and such). A good show and engineer will make everywhere sound great. And a bad show and poor engineer will make anything great sound bad. Be careful about blaming the theatre.

Worst sound I ever heard in my entire life was for kd lang at Orchestra Hall. It wasn't the hall's fault. And it wasn't kd's fault. It was the equipment. Something was miscalibrated. Went to other side of theatre, and sound was excellent.

Many of the touring shows/concerts won't take the time to calibrate sound based on the "house" or take suggestions from the stage or house crew. It's too bad because the Fox can be set up and sound good if the time is taken...also have heard shows at the Opera House that were so overblown it was painful. As for Orchestra Hall it is the same issue...the sound is so good that the heavy handed amplification turns into a diaster.