Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Detroit needs a statue

I think that Detroit needs a very large statute some type of symbol of what is Detroit. New York has the statute of liberty, St. Louis has the arch, Chicago has that thing in Grant Park, Indianapolis has that huge momunent [[the one that resembles ours in Campus Martius but three times bigger)

Now, you might say that our statute is the Joe Louis fist, when I'll go on record and say I really, really, really don't like the fist so hopefully we don't take that as our statute. And, the half circle statute across the street from fist in hart plaza doesn't do it. And, the curved pole next to the curvy thing isn't large enough.

So maybe putting the Spirit of Detroit on a four story platform would do. Or how about a large something with a image of a Model T and Motown record however its done artistically might do.

In my documentary "The Great Detroit" we have photos of Detroit's wall murals and some outside artwork.

To support our efforts, go to www.strongdetroit.net

Statue is the three-dimensional piece of art. Statute is a written law.

We don't need to change ANYTHING about the Spirit of Detroit statue. Why the hell would you make it UNACCESSIBLE to the public? A four-story platform...might be the single-worst idea ever floated on this board.

Nah, no more odes to the past, we've got enough of them. Ever drive out on I-94 to the airport? Big tire there.

We didn't preserve the big stove very well.

I don't think any statues or statutes will change the city's stature one whit.

Sorry.

My daughter really likes the Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument that's in Campus Martius Park.

This exchange was the most amusing thing i have read on this board in a while.

While I think the idea of slapping our existing statues on pedestals or islands is silly, I think gentle poster touches on an important point: our public art is generally lacking, with emphasis on "public."

The exceptions I would take are the Spirit of Detroit and the Heidelberg Project [[love it or hate it). These are installations that people identify with, interact with, visit, and have personal meaning to many people.

I'm a firm believer in art for art's sake but I think an artist really makes an impact with public art when it draws people from all walks of life.

Look at your facebook. I guarantee, unless you're a friendless weirdo, you or your friends have pictures with the Bean in Chicago. It's a huge draw. People interact with it. It brings people together. It's fresh an inspiring.

My favorite public[[sort of) art in Detroit is Hamtramck Disneyland. Truely organic folk art!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamtramck_Disneyland

Do I think better/more public art will save Detroit? Not by a long shot. Will it have an economic impact? Doubt it. It isn't always about dollars and cents, though.

While I don't think we need to spend a cent on a new statue right now, it's funny this conversation was brought up.

I was staring at Belle Isle from Hart Plaza a week ago and thinking about what if something like the Eiffel Tower would have been built on Belle Isle a century ago or so. Some type of gigantic unity monument that showed that the US/Canada are deep allies. It could've been a very dramatic - if not entirely likeable [[depending on design, of course) - piece of architecture that would dominate the sky for miles around.

Please excuse my misspelling, statute should be statue as suggested.
    And, I'm only suggesting some statue as a positive marker nothing more.

Lets not forget Robocop is coming!

isn't there going to be a robo-cop statutue put up soon? isn't that good enough???

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Lets not forget Robocop is coming!
    beat me by 5 seconds!!!!!

Poobert... Detroit doesn't know how to properly display the statuary we already have....

The Thaddeus Kosciousco [[USA Bicentennial gift from Poland) statue on horseback along Michigan Ave. on the west side of downtown is situated like a roadside billboard. It needs a better location of prominence.

The Merrill Fountain, once in the middle of Campus Martius has been relegated to broken unused statuary in Palmer Park. It's not working [[for probably going on 3/4 century) and has been damaged [[although it was cleaned up by the friends of Palmer Park). It should be relocated back downtown as a working beautiful fountain.

The Hurlbut Memorial Gate, that Wedding Cake style statuary behind the closed gates of Waterworks Park is inaccessible, although the city did fix it up [[although the bust of old Chauncey Hurlbut is still missing)... 99% of all Detroiter's don't even know that there's a beautiful double staircase on the non-viewable water side of that Beaux Arts gate. I've always thought that after they ruined the Belle Isle entranceway by removing the tunnel and fancy bus pavilion, that they should turn that confusing interchange into a simple but elegant traffic circle, and move Chauncey's gate to the middle of the circle as a nice entranceway to Belle Isle's bridge and park. It's current use as a fancy fence ornament is pretty lame...

The Millenium Bell on Grand Circus Park has all the charm of a cow bell, and should trade places with one of the neglected statuary I just mentioned...
    Last edited by Gistok; October-12-12 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    A four-story platform...might be the single-worst idea ever floated on this board.
    Nah its not even close. Remember the guy who wanted the kids from GLEE to come up to Detroit from Lima Ohio and sing and dance around the train station?

What about that statute they put to forth regarding arresting the homeless for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    The Thaddeus Kosciousco [[USA Bicentennial gift from Poland) along Michigan Ave. on the west side of downtown is situated like a roadside billboard. It needs a better location of prominence.
    Spoken like a true east sider! I've used that statue as a rain shelter while waiting for a bus more than once!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Spoken like a true east sider! I've used that statue as a rain shelter while waiting for a bus more than once!
    LOL.... well it may be badly located, but the law of unintended consequences kicked in and it became useful!

Nah its not even close. Remember the guy who wanted the kids from GLEE to come up to Detroit from Lima Ohio and sing and dance around the train station?

Don't know how I missed such a gem of a notion. Thanks.

Sorry, Strong. But I still nominate yours for the bottom five.

Have you driven through North Corktown to see the sporadic displays of public art there?!

Noticed that all of the government-subsidized housing projects have their own form of steel art? I should document them, now that I've noticed this trend in Highland Park and Detroit.

I think the Joe Louis Fist is great art, it always causes discussion and education...somethings in my definition of art.

Cheers!

As much as I hate to say it, the best thing about the Millenium Bell is the trivia that it doesn't have any ring to it. Two shells disconnected do not make a bell. The gas tanks as clappers was a nice touch, shame that one was scrapped.

Oh him.... he was a hoot... didn't last long here.... I remember he thought we were making fun of him on the LEGO thread in DYES Connections... and went off on some strange tangent about Frank Lloyd Wright being a hack...

No one mentions the lovely statue in front of One Woodward Ave.?

public art doesnt need to be massive to be effective or enhance its surroundings. woodward @ jefferson avenue has an incredible amount of public art, there is no need to put anything on a pedestal.

i am curious to see what they do with the redevelopment of hart plaza and the riverfront. i think there are quite a few opportunities to enhance those spaces with public art... on pedestals.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Don't know how I missed such a gem of a notion. Thanks.
    Enjoy!
    http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...highlight=glee

After reading this thread, and the one mentioned above, am I the only one who thinks a 4 story tall monument of the Glee cast that would straddle the river, and is made of Lego would be a really good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by leapfrog View Post
    After reading this thread, and the one mentioned above, am I the only one who thinks a 4 story tall monument of the Glee cast that would straddle the river, and is made of Lego would be a really good idea?

Only if it has a gondola to cross the river in...

Based on the title of the tread, Detroit needs improved grammar.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast