Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I don't suppose a Muffler Man would go over too well here, eh?

There don't currently seem to be any in Detroit.

Instead of a muffler he could hold a catalytic converter in one hand and a sawzall in the other.

Laughing my ass off...I remember either my first post or one of my firsts on this forum back in 07 or 08 was about the exact same subject. I've matured since then. We don't need a statue. We need jobs. Decent school system. Businesses. People. Efficient city government. Low crime and fast police/fire response.

What about a statue of a large Model T?
    Now I think Detroit is recognized for the Spirit of Detroit statue and it should be included in advertisements more than it has been.

Quote Originally Posted by Strong View Post
    What about a statue of a large Model T?
    Now I think Detroit is recognized for the Spirit of Detroit statue and it should be included in advertisements more than it has been.
    Detroit is recognized for it's corruption. How about putting large $100 bills in The Fist and hanging it from it's side?

Yes, these four dudes need to be closer to the river.
    Also heard there's a bunch of historic statuary belonging to the Detroit Historical Society that's sitting out in tall grass at Fort Wayne. Haven't seen it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Bigger doesn't mean better. Maintaining what's there is fine by me.

http://detroit1701.org/Public%20Art%...Sculpture.html

Quote Originally Posted by robtandersen View Post
    Yes, these four dudes need to be closer to the river.
    Also heard there's a bunch of historic statuary belonging to the Detroit Historical Society that's sitting out in tall grass at Fort Wayne. Haven't seen it myself.
    Is that the statuary from Old City Hall?

Yes, these four statues by Julius Melchers had been on the top of the old city hall. They were removed before the demo, stored for some time at Fort Wayne and then found a new home on the Wayne State campus. The statues were a gift to the city from Bela Hubbard who commissioned them when the city hall was first built. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julius_Theodore_Melchers

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Lets not forget Robocop is coming!
    Still want him?? They're filming the new Robocop movie in.... Toronto FFS!

Awefully cool car he has though!

Name:  5458542985_0c96e66630_o.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  13.7 KB
    epic detroit is epic

We need a Statue?? You could never do this with the Statue of Liberty!

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/...f-world-series

"You could never do this with the Statue of Liberty!"

She takes a larger size and more form fitting.

Detroit has tons and tons and tons of public art in the parks and boulevard medians. It's all over the place.

Plus we have some very successful pieces of public art like the Spirit of Detroit, Dodge Fountain, and the Joe Louis Fist. We also have other public art that's not as well known to the public but is done by notable artists.

The rest is mostly just random public art because it seems like every organization out there wants to change Detroit, and all they can think to do is donate a piece of public art to the city.

I'd say we need less public art, and more high quality public spaces to display the art.

We like your idea of erecting a giant statue in the city of Detroit and second the motion, Strong! - The Birds

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3