Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Something that's been bothering me about the Kwame trial

First, just so there is no confusion, I hope KK, his dad, Mercado, Ferguson and anyone else connected them spend a lot of time in jail.

That said, everyday there is a new witness stating that the Kilpatrick civic fund paid them $XX for work for Kwame that was not related to the fund. They clearly knew it was not for the intended purpose of the fund but still happily accepted the work, cashed the checks and said nothing to anyone.

Why aren't they charged for fraud/contributing to fraud, etc. They all seem to state that they knew the work was not for the fund but didn't say or do anything about it.

Kwame is a clearly a criminal but aren't these people criminals [[of course at a lesser level) as well?

My guess would be that they made deals with the prosecutor in trade for their testimony. It happens every day in the court system. They trade up to get the bigger "fish".

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    First, just so there is no confusion, I hope KK, his dad, Mercado, Ferguson and anyone else connected them spend a lot of time in jail.

That said, everyday there is a new witness stating that the Kilpatrick civic fund paid them $XX for work for Kwame that was not related to the fund. They clearly knew it was not for the intended purpose of the fund but still happily accepted the work, cashed the checks and said nothing to anyone.

Why aren't they charged for fraud/contributing to fraud, etc. They all seem to state that they knew the work was not for the fund but didn't say or do anything about it.

Kwame is a clearly a criminal but aren't these people criminals [[of course at a lesser level) as well?
    I don't think the guy owning the spy shop or the person teaching yoga classes would be expected to know what the Kilpatrick Civic Fund was supposed to be used for. They provided a service, they got paid with a check, and they cashed it. I don't think they can be charged with misusing the funds of a charity with which they had no involvement, and no knowledge, in my opinion.

I think your question is a very valid one for the companies that are reported to have paid money to Bobby Ferguson's firm to ensure they got a contract from the City.

I second Motor City Sam. A lot of that stuff like the spy equipment purchase was done through surrogates. Charitable Funds can give out money to groups or individuals as well as to pay staff and operations cost. Most of those purchases could have had some justification in the eyes of the seller however slim.

While this is all criminal, it is chicken feed compared to what we will hear in the future. I can see where the prosecution is building an extensive day-after-day story of pilfering that would be understandable to the common-man juror. Having that pattern established they will have the jury prepared for the laying down the their big and more complicated cards.

I'm waiting to hear to hear some of the big bucks super stars take the stand, Tony Soave in particular. Here is somebody that clearly knows what he was doing, making payoffs, was wrong. So much that he is cooperating and crying that he was forced into 'pay to play' in fear of economic damage or whatever term is used.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueidone View Post
    My guess would be that they made deals with the prosecutor in trade for their testimony. It happens every day in the court system. They trade up to get the bigger "fish".
    As posted by others, the 'small fish' may not understand what's going on -- or just as likely, they knew what was going on and took it as a 'requirement' of their city. Either you 'contribute' or you won't get any more city contracts -- or on the other side, you'll get your business inspected daily by health, buildings/safety, DPD until you do contribute. Protection money if you will.

Now they know. I wouldn't have thought to look up somewhere the legal purposes of the civic fund. I had no idea that they were crooked from the start - did you?

I just hope that the full truth comes out, whatever it may be. that said, I'm not hung up on following the day to day events.

The Federal Government is using the RICO Act in an effort to convict everyone involved .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rackete...anizations_Act