Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Burbrook Restored

Update Oct. 2105 - Restored Marcus Burrowes' Burbrook mansion is being offered for $1.25 million. >>

============================

Burbrook, the home of famed Detroit architect Marcus Burrowes, previously in ruin, has found loving ownership and has been / is being restored, as yesterday's forest walk revealed.

Before:

Garage is restored too:

Before:

Previous Discussion:
    Burbrook - Now A Fabulous Ruin -[2010]

Marcus R Burrowes - [2009]

Architect Marcus Burrowes Appreciation Thread - [2006]

wow! I held little hope this building could have been saved. Glad to say I was wrong. Very wrong.

Working on my lunch of crow right now.

Looks like you have a new neighbor with very deep pockets!

oh hewwww yeah!

my day = made

Where is this located?

Quote Originally Posted by Wild View Post
    Where is this located?
    Farmington Hills.

This is great news! My grandmother grew up in that house and it was agonizing to watch it slowly rot away..great job by the Farmington Hills historical group and the new owners. I have not been able to show my Mom pictures of it for a long time as it was very painful for her but I am calling her right now! Thanks again to the owners I am sure they will enjoy the house Yipee

I'm amazed that the garage could even be saved.

With enough $$, anything can be saved. I saw a Greek Revival being restored in upstate NY 25 yrs ago....boggled the mind, but $$ talks and BS walks.

This is very heart warming to know someone saved the place.

Great news. Checking on Zillow today I see that Burbrook is magnificently restored with addition of a deck and enclosed sun porch. Asking price 1.25 mil.

Tour Sales Presentation and pictures on Zillow >>>

View the Burbrook - Now A Fabulous Ruin thread here >>>

View the Marcus Burrowes Architect Thread here >>>

Restored? Looks more like a renovation inside. The interior reminds me of a newer cookie cutter.

Maybe its the colors they chose that give the interior its dated feel, to me anyways...

Quote Originally Posted by Dbest View Post
    Restored? Looks more like a renovation inside. The interior reminds me of a newer cookie cutter.

Maybe its the colors they chose that give the interior its dated feel, to me anyways...
    Yeah I hear you and thought of that too. It is more of a what-could-have-been appreciation on my part. The place was a vacant near ruin, then bought by someone with seemingly no money who began some amateurish repairs until halted by Farmington Hills inspectors. I was fearing it being knocked down and replaced with a new house. The lot as Zllow shows is spectacular. It has been modded but much of what I remember of interior woodwork appears restored. Previous remodeling had already wrecked parts of the original interior.

Other than the room with all the dead animal heads, I thought it looked nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Yeah I hear you and thought of that too. It is more of a what-could-have-been appreciation on my part. The place was a vacant near ruin, then bought by someone with seemingly no money who began some amateurish repairs until halted by Farmington Hills inspectors. I was fearing it being knocked down and replaced with a new house. The lot as Zllow shows is spectacular. It has been modded but much of what I remember of interior woodwork appears restored. Previous remodeling had already wrecked parts of the original interior.
    Yeah, I've followed the story of the house[[other threads) and your photos. Thanks for all that. Makes sense about the interior being chopped in the past, the exterior looks great and the property speaks for itself...Glad to see it back online, would have been a shame had it ceased.

Default It is so wonderful to see the old house has been restored !

Quote Originally Posted by Dbest View Post
    Yeah, I've followed the story of the house[[other threads) and your photos. Thanks for all that. Makes sense about the interior being chopped in the past, the exterior looks great and the property speaks for itself...Glad to see it back online, would have been a shame had it ceased.
    I had almost given up hope that the house could be saved. I sure brings back memories!