Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default An old fart and his music.

Just today while surfing around and killing time, I stumbled upon some wonderful outtakes on YouTube of Andre' Rieu concerts. What magnificent music; from Strauss' "Blue Danube Waltz" to Webber's "Don't cry for me, Argentina"! Such is the music I tremendously enjoy, things from Vivaldi to John Williams.

As a lad, I took piano lessons. Took them from a wonderful old lady who was born during the Civil War. Her studio was on Mendota, south of Foley. Once a week, off to try to impress her with my latest rendition of Chopin. Don't guess I ever did, but how I learned to appreciate the fingerwork of a master -- both her, and also Chopin.

Then, my grandfather, bless his soul, taught me the fundamentals of the flute. Carried that through Monnier Grade School to the suffering of Mr. Schevo, and on to Mackenzie High School, and the evil eye of Sam Emmer. But my God, how I loved the music we played! The Mackenzie Band and Orchestra was on par with the best in the DPS system. We played Beethoven. We played Gershwin. We played the wonderful happy music of Leroy Anderson, he of the Boston Pops.

Anyway, thanks to that foundation of sixty plus years ago, to this day I love my good music. It is not the music of four persons who never took a voice lesson whamming on three guitars and a set of drums. It is not vulgar lyrics and discordant sounds. It is not about anger and hate, as is so much of what today's performers present.

Nope, I'm a person of yesterday. I still love Gogi Grant and "The Wayward Wind", and just thinking of Doris Day singing "Secret Love" brings tears to these old eyeballs.

I just hope some of you young 'uns catch on to the music of days gone by. I hope, for you, so very much.

Oh, my, I second Gogi Grant and "The Wayward Wind." I also love Frankie Laine's "Cry of the Wild Goose," Acker Bilk's "Stranger on the Shore," "The Long Ships" Charles Albertine version. I love classical, too, Pachelbel, Bach, Handel. Going to You Tube to listen to some of them, thanks for the memory boost.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; October-09-12 at 08:23 PM.

Yeah, and I forgot to mention anything by Sinatra.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Yeah, and I forgot to mention anything by Sinatra.

Ray, if you were in town...I'd have you drop in on a show by Ben Sharkey at Cliff Bell's, or the Hot Club of Detroit. These young'uns will restore some faith in the next generation. Sharkey's backup is tight, and they honor those who originally played the arrangements.

You just hear those who push the limits of rebellion more because their amplifiers go up to eleven. And they discovered subwoofers along the way.

Plus, those of us in the middle maintain some degree of awe and wonder about those who made the music of the previous generations. Just this past Saturday, the owner of an inner city record store which specializes in Soul, Rythm&Blues, and Jazz had his monthly 45rpm spinning party...Magic City Soul. He takes everyone to school every single month.

All is not lost...

I spent my afternoon jammin' to a complete Harry James set with his Big Band, come to think of it.

Plus, they've proven the rhythms and harmonies and even tunings for Middle A can be more or less frictional to the human perceptual system...harmonius or grating to the nerves. Or somewhere inbetween.

In the middle ages, the Catholics had studied chordal structures enough to call one the Devil's Chord. I think that might be a minor sixth chord they now turn some Blues around, so there might've been something to that old story of Robert Johnson at the crossroads.

Cheers!

Whoa, went looking it up. If any of this is true, I've got more studying to do.

http://www.lightbridgemusic.com/supp.htm

Being old is no excuse, since Elvis would be about your age if he was still alive. My Mom is your age and she liked some rock stuff. Anyway, we won't force you to listen to it. Here's Patsy Cline's version of "The Wayward Wind":

http://youtu.be/yFuzHbM9EEc

I don't like Frank but here's a singer I like singing a song about him. Don't worry, it's a mellow song. It's safe to click.

http://youtu.be/uTH-k40Rf2s

LOL, Pam...and thanks. Elvis was okay, as were the Beatles. Most of the other rock/n/rollers I could do without. I also liked Simon and Garfunkle. Going back to 'real' music, though, I have every one of the albums of Ferrante & Teicher.

[[Who? Ferrante & Teicher. Look 'em up.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    [[Who? Ferrante & Teicher. Look 'em up.)
    I think my Dad had some of those, but his real fave was Johnny Mathis.

As a budding entertainment journalist for my college paper I had the opportunity to do a phone interview with Johnny Mathis. His record label arranged for him to call me at home. This was a bit out of my comfort zone as I mostly covered the rock music scene. After a few basic questions from me he was gracious enough to talk to my mom for 10 minutes. She was a big fan of his. After she hung up she asked me if they could have Englebert Humperdink call.

I enjoy listening to big band music at times and I've liked some of the old stuff Ray has posted. But take those 3 guys with guitars and a drummer with no lessons and throw in a rough edge singer and you have the MC 5. I still love those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    In the middle ages, the Catholics had studied chordal structures enough to call one the Devil's Chord. I think that might be a minor sixth chord they now turn some Blues around, so there might've been something to that old story of Robert Johnson at the crossroads.

Cheers!
    Devil's chord essentially spans three whole tones AKA a tritone

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Devil's chord essentially spans three whole tones AKA a tritone
    Thanks, rb. I looked it up and went down another rabbit hole yesterday. Discovered yet another thing the dark ages church scared folks away from which is being rediscovered to have powerful positive mystical effects. Even listened to some music composed with ancient scales...and found it wonderfully and oddly comforting.

When talking about Devil's Chord and Tritone, they're related to Augmented Fourths, as Leonard Bernstein used in West Side Story [[1957), which some critics thought that there weren't any Broadway singers that had the skills to sing some of West Side Story's songs, such as MARIA.

Well a young unknown Italian 17 year old kid... that some have labeled the next Andrea Bocelli or the next Frank Sinatra [[he can sing both)... is now on tour with a group in Barbra Streisand's latest [[rare) tour.

This kid is named Gianluca Ginoble... and can he sing MARIA!! This kid will be a major star in the future... move over Michael Buble, Josh Groban, Andrea Bocelli... [[he's met all 3)...

His version of MARIA is the best ever done... and he's only still 17!! [[The 2nd half of this Youtube clip is amazing...)
    http://youtu.be/CzQF1Oo1kwQ