Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Great Article in the NY Times about Lindell A.C.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/09/sp...with-fans.html

To all those who wonder why Detroit was such a magical city back in the day, this article brings back a lot of memories. This is why Detroit has such a hold on many of us. I was a young kid back in those days [[the 70's) but my Father took me everywhere and I remember those days like it was yesterday.
    Last edited by illwill; October-09-12 at 12:21 PM.

Had a lot of great memories there as a kid. My dad used to take us down there for lunch or before Tigers games and we'd hang out with Jimmy B. I have a ball signed by one of the early 90s Tigers squads that was really my first "memorabilia" [[my brother, sister and I each got one). Have to say that going to that place probably contributed as much to my love of baseball as anything else in the early years.

Fitting story with the news of Alex Karras.

A great story. Too bad they were never able to work out the plans to relocate the Lindell A.C. into Ford Field. It would be the sports bars of sports bars yet today.

My brother sent me an article yesterday about Alex Karras' health issues, and the first thing that came to mind was the Lindell A.C.....and it's reputation. Mariner announcer Dave Neihaus once commented that it was the kind of joint where you could place a bet on if the sun would come up the next morning.

Thanks for posting the article, Steve.

Interesting item about the author but never heard of him.

Bill Morris grew up in Detroit in the 1950s and ’60s. He is the author of the novels “Motor City” and “All Souls’ Day,” and has finished another, “Vic #43,” set during the 1967 Detroit riot and the Tigers’ 1968 championship season.