Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Rest in peace....Budd Lynch

The Red Wings family lost Budd today at 95 years of age.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2012/10/...dd-lynch-dies/

Everyone should be so lucky as to have a "retirement" like Budd enjoyed!!!

RIP, Budd!! You and your voice will be sorely missed.

Bummer, he was a great person.
    RIP

Oh no....damn. I know we all come with an expiration date but....

When I was 13, my grandmother went in a nursing home on the east side on Coplin. One night I was there with pops, and who walks in? Yup....Budd. I shat myself. Just got into hockey the year before, and was quickly addicted.

His aunt was in the same room as grandma, and OMG would the guy get me some tickets?

A legend. He will be missed-----the last of the old-school, no-nonsense announcers.

I became a Red Wings fan because of Bud Lynch. You sometimes don't think of the roll of a play by play announcer, but to those listening on radio, he IS the team, and when I was a kid, Bud Lynch WAS the Red Wings in the same way Van Partick WAS the Lions, Ernie Harwell WAS the Tigers, and out here, Dave Neihaus WAS the Mariners......

I have been listening to that voice for over 40 years. I am going to miss that voice!!

Besides being a great announcer, he was a quality A1 person. The world needs more like him today. Somehow fitting that he checks out at a time when there is no hockey.

Quote Originally Posted by daveyarm View Post
    A legend. He will be missed-----the last of the old-school, no-nonsense announcers.
    More then a legend, he was an institution.

Between Budd Lynch, Bruce Martyn, Syd Abel and to a lesser degree, Larry Adderly and Ray Lane- these were the voices of Red Wings hockey to me.

There was no one that could tell the Joe Louis crowd that there was one minute left in a period like Budd. He had seen it all with this team and was an institution around the JLA.

When and if hockey gets back into circulation, Budd Lynch deserves more than just a patch on the players' jerseys, a moment of silence and a plaque in his honor. What he gave to this team was a sense of dignity, history, and something that newer hockey teams just haven't earned yet- a touch of class.

He will be missed.

A great remembrance in The Detroit News today here.

I grew up with Budd Lynch on the radio. I loved him. But all these stories of what a great broadcaster he was reminds me of one game in particular. I was very lucky as a kid. Mom's employer was a widower with season tickets. His only son was off to college. Knowing I was a big hockey fan, he would often take me to games from age 8 on. The only thing I didn't like was, he always left with a few minutes in the game to beat the traffic. One night, the Wings had a big game and getting into the playoffs was on the line. As usual, we left early, and the Wings were down one goal. We listened to the last minute on the radio as we drove home down Grand River. Lynch was describing the action. "The Wings are swarming the net. Tens seconds in regulation play. Delvecchio, over to Howe, back to Delvecchio... Delvecchio shoots....!! Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!" Really, it was that long. We were on pins and needles! Did Delvecchio score? We wanted to rip the radio out of the car with the suspense. Finally, Lynch composes himself and says in a forlorn voice, "The game is over. The Wing lose." It may not have been his most professional moment, but it showed he cared about the Wings as much as anybody did that he lost himself in the moment. RIP, Budd Lynch. The game is over.

An image of Budd Lynch from when he joined the Red Wings in 1949.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My dad took me to my 1st hockey game way back in the 1955-56 season at the old Olympia , so me and Budd go back a long way . I had a chance encounter with Budd back when Curtis Joseph was with us . Cujo had a private box at the Joe [[as he did everywhere he played) My youngest son was being treated at Children's Hospital and Cujo would donate all his tickets every game for kids . We scored 3 tickets from Children's for a game in his private box . Myself and 2 sons arrived at the Joe and took the elevator up to the private boxes , the elevator door opens and there stood Budd . Being a long time Wings fans , it was like coming face to face with a rock star . The elevator door closes with just the four of us inside . I look at my sons and say '' We're at the rink , we're at a Red Wings game , and we're riding in an elevator with Budd Lynch '' That got a big chuckle from Budd and when we got off the elevator he said '' enjoy the game boys '' I'm sure going to miss him

Detroit Hockey's loss was well-covered by the national media... here's an article in the nation's paper of record [[registration required, but a few article free each month).

RIP Budd.