Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Connor Creek Industrial

I understand that the industrial area, where Jefferson North now sits, was developed due to water access from the Connor Creek. My interest is in how it evolved over time to what you see there today.

From the Mack overpass you can see where some of the steel siding has fallen off, exposing the pre-modern industrial building structure.

What is this building and why is the architectural style of it so much different than other industrial offices?

Does the rail spur which continues south from the complex lead to a closed tunnel which once crossed the Detroit River?

Has there always been the Warren-Conner retail buildings or where the buildings repurposed from industrial uses?

Why/when was Connor Creek ultimately covered over?

Quick searches on the history/timeline of the area have been fruitless and I would just like to start a discussion about it. The whole area from I-94 to Jefferson along Conner is strangely Industrial, Recreational, and Residential with a spotting of Commercial to me.

The building near the overpass is part of what once was Liberty Motors then The Budd Company. The Main office was is Robert Derrick design and modeled after independence Hall.

The rail line ends at the Conner Creek Power Station for DTE. The Railway Tunnel is further west past the Ambassador Bridge.

The Commercial areas on Warren and Jefferson have always been there. Here is a link to the final report for Jefferson Chalmers Business Historic District. http://www.detroitmi.gov/LinkClick.a...=3096&mid=4357

One of the reasons Conner Creek was put into tubes to remove and water crossings and make it easier to develop the land around the area.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    The building near the overpass is part of what once was Liberty Motors then The Budd Company. The Main office was is Robert Derrick design and modeled after independence Hall.

The rail line ends at the Conner Creek Power Station for DTE. The Railway Tunnel is further west past the Ambassador Bridge.

The Commercial areas on Warren and Jefferson have always been there. Here is a link to the final report for Jefferson Chalmers Business Historic District. http://www.detroitmi.gov/LinkClick.a...=3096&mid=4357

One of the reasons Conner Creek was put into tubes to remove and water crossings and make it easier to develop the land around the area.
    In your link provided it mentions this:The Burrell Hotel was listed on the same site during the 1910s and the Honeybuckle Inn during the 1920s. On page 5

Burrell family is the one that started with farm implements and went on to be known as International harvester and his father was the one that came up with oil fueled heat.

His 18,000 sqft mansion recently sold for $50,000 in Lyons NY I wonder if it is the same family?

http://www.syracusethenandnow.org/Ar...ll_Mansion.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_H._Burrell_Mansion

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    In your link provided it mentions this:The Burrell Hotel was listed on the same site during the 1910s and the Honeybuckle Inn during the 1920s. On page 5

Burrell family is the one that started with farm implements and went on to be known as International harvester and his father was the one that came up with oil fueled heat.

His 18,000 sqft mansion recently sold for $50,000 in Lyons NY I wonder if it is the same family?

http://www.syracusethenandnow.org/Ar...ll_Mansion.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_H._Burrell_Mansion
    I do not have any information on the Burrell family but at the end of the month the Grosse Pointe Historical Society will be hosting their Fairview tour. From what I understand the person conducting the tour is a wealth of info on Fairview. You can call the GPHS at 313-884-7010 for tour information.

Quote Originally Posted by izzyindetroit View Post
    I understand that the industrial area, where Jefferson North now sits, was developed due to water access from the Connor Creek.
    As well as the extension of the Detroit Terminal Railroad, the availability of electricity from the Connor Creek plant, and being outside the city limits.

What is this building and why is the architectural style of it so much different than other industrial offices?
    Budd Company was based in Philadelphia and I was always told that's why the local office was modeled on Independence Hall. That may be coincidental if it was built for Liberty Motors originally.

Does the rail spur which continues south from the complex lead to a closed tunnel which once crossed the Detroit River?
    No, it leads to the Detroit Edison's Conner Creek plant.

Has there always been the Warren-Conner retail buildings or where the buildings repurposed from industrial uses?
    I think the strip was probably built for retail purposes sometime after the war.

Why/when was Connor Creek ultimately covered over?
    From what I can tell, it was enclosed in stages from 1921 to 1928. It was/is used as a sewer and was probably enclosed for sanitary purposes. Sanitation was a reason for the annexation of Fairview also; Detroit was concerned about the population growth in the area, and without adequate sewers, the possibility of widespread illnesses and fresh water contamination.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Slight correction. The railway tunnel goes underground east of the Ambassador Bridge in the area bordered by Rosa Parks, 14th Street, Porter and Howard Streets. You can see it at this google satelite view.

A few years ago, the google image was taken at the exact time a train was emerging from the tunnel. I thought that was pretty cool. What are the odds? The image in the link has been updated since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

As a proud Detroiter, but a native of Springfield, OH, International Harvester was primarily a product of the [[Cyrus) McCormick Reaper Company merger with several other companies that took place around the turn of the 20th C.

To relate to Detroit, the McCormick/ IH plant, originally built in 1884, was torn down about 15 years ago, and Buck Creek [[which ran through the plant) was completely reopened to the public, the crushed brick from the plant used to pave pathways thru the grounds, and was the beginning of a public reclaiming of the Creek, which has been transformed into a popular recreation spot for the locals, including canoeing, kayaking, rafting, and the like. This in a dead midwest industrial town, much like Detroit, that seemed adrift, deserted, lost, and seemingly clueless, and full of beautiful old buildings and Victorian Manions that have been abandoned and largely neglected. Just like home.

Thanks for the discussion. I was able to find some more information on the building now that I know its name: http://detroit1701.org/Liberty%20Mot...20Company.html

I cannot believe [[well.... actually I can) that the building is currently not in use. It looks so out of place.

Until now, I have never heard of Liberty Motors nor have I heard of Columbia motors who purchased them. Is there a list, or better yet a map, of all the auto makers in the city throughout the past century?
    Last edited by izzyindetroit; October-11-12 at 07:55 AM.

in the DYes hall of fame threads, there is a 23-24 page thread listing the automotive factories, [[which I believe is the title of the thread). A rather extensive list can be found somewhere btw. the 18-20th page. It's a rather fascinating read, and you'll lose an entire day

Default Fishing in the Conner Creek

I worked in the old Chrysler Mack Stamping plant in the mid 70's and then the Chrysler Vernor Tool & Die plant in the late 70's and I remember some of the old timers telling me that they use to fish in the Conner Creek right next to the plant on their lunch break.
    Map from 1921.
    Name:  Conner creek.jpg
Views: 3488
Size:  47.6 KB

What is the correct spelling of Connor / Conner Creek?

Quote Originally Posted by prokopowicz View Post
    What is the correct spelling of Connor / Conner Creek?
    That is a good question. The pumping station on Jefferson between Conner and St. Jean says Connors Creek, so I would go with that.

The spelling has always been inconsistent. Conners Creek is another variation.

A different take on Conner Creek

How were the first roads and traveled paths [[canoe) connected......

Sherwood,
    then Southeast along Connor
    which was along Tremble’s Creek
    now Connor’s Creek to Tremble’s mill.

https://redrundrain.wordpress.com/20...un-connection/
    Last edited by O3H; November-19-17 at 01:58 AM.

Old USGS Topographical map {1906} showing Warren/Detroit connection
    for Conner Creek [[ addendum to post above)

https://imgur.com/NckRSOn

Click on the map to enlarge the image when it comes up
    Last edited by O3H; November-19-17 at 09:59 AM.