Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default WWII event this weekend at Fort Wayne [[Oct 13-14)

more info:
    http://historicfortwaynecoalition.com/WW2.html

this is the 3rd year for this event, and of course we have the mock battle both days, which seems to grow in scale each year. but in my opinion the most incredible part of this event is listening to the veteran speakers tell their war stories.

I had the opportunity to meet George Koskimaki a couple years back and bought a couple of his books. Impressive stuff. Heavy on detail and first-person recollections combined with after-action reports. Not light reading, but certainly worthwhile.

What struck me about his books is the years of research he put into the project. Specifically you will find entire swaths of Koskimaki's work appear word-for-word in the Stephan Ambrose book "Band of Brothers".

yeah as i understand it, Koskimaki was one of the main people consulted for the production of that series. in fact [[its been years since i watched it so i dont remember), he is probably one of the vets who is interviewed in the interludes before & after each episode.

just another reminder, this weekend is the event!!

come see the improvements we've made, such as the replacing of the old rotted plank sidewalk in front of the Commandant's house [[a joint effort with a Boy Scout group), and some newly cleared overgrowth [[which we still have a few piles of to clean up, so please excuse our dust)

we have a couple more battle reenactments today before all is said & done, and i believe the Tuskegee Airmen Museum may be open again today as well.
    Last edited by WaCoTS; October-14-12 at 09:54 AM.

I brought my uncle yesterday to the fort. We had a good time walking the grounds and talking to the various folk. WaCots, I would have looked you up, but have no idea what you may look like. Maybe next yr.

once again we kind of got killed by the poor weather.

we're tentatively going to be doing this event again in May of next year, FYI

Per a recent Detroit News item Tuskegee Airman Lt. Col. Alexander
    Jefferson will be giving a talk at the Detroit Historical Museum
    Tuesday April 17th, 2013, at 6 pm - $10 - check museum site for details
    including reservation number. For all those Red Tails fans!

That is correct, and we should be providing some of our WWII reenactors for a flag ceremony as well.

Lt Col Jefferson has some amazing stories to tell, trust me.