Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default More Midtown residential plans underway!

Quote Originally Posted by serpico View Post
    Let us know when the residents send their kids to Detroit Public Schools...
    Schools aren't as big a deal as they used to be, because only about a quarter of households have school-age children. Healthy school districts do, indeed, draw families, without a doubt. I was a teacher for over three decades, and I will ALWAYS support schools in any district. Kids in every district deserve the same high-quality schools that the best districts provide. But, not everyone makes real estate decisions based on schools anymore. [[That's probably one of the big reasons that school funding is in the tank-- 3/4 of the population say to themselves, "My kids are through school, so why should I continue to pay school taxes?")

I doubt you will ever know that answer. The question to ask is how does the city retain them when their children reach school age. I like what has been happening around the popular areas of the city but worry that while most are single or do not have children, once they do they will leave. 100% of those I know who lived in the city at one time or another started looking for homes in districts with good schools around the time their oldest turned 4 and were gone in time to register their child for kindergarten in the burb of their choice. Something needs to be done to retain them.

Quote Originally Posted by Parkguy View Post
    But, not everyone makes real estate decisions based on schools anymore. [[That's probably one of the big reasons that school funding is in the tank-- 3/4 of the population say to themselves, "My kids are through school, so why should I continue to pay school taxes?")
    School funding is in the tank because real etate nd sales tax collection are in the tank.

School excellence correlates far more with the student population than it does with the level of funding. Washington DC schools have a level of student funding [[per capita) than most school districts in the USA, yet their schools are falling apart.

Why would they do that when they could send them to UD-Jesuit, Waldorf, or Friends?

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    School funding is in the tank because real etate nd sales tax collection are in the tank.
    Ahh but lotto revenues are at an all-time high! The schools should be rich!

Quote Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
    Why would they do that when they could send them to UD-Jesuit, Waldorf, or Friends?
    Why is it acceptable to expect someone would have to pay for private schools [[after paying the highest property taxes in the state) for the privilege of living in Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Why is it acceptable to expect someone would have to pay for private schools [[after paying the highest property taxes in the state) for the privilege of living in Detroit?

Spot on. And furthermore, since when do high-quality private schools have an endless supply of available seats for kids?

Since hip cool skinny jeaned young professionials are moving into Detroit. Housing is in high demand. So making more apts, condos, and superlofts in midtown is the grand solution. You see how that area changed in the last 30 years. Once an area reserved for drug dealers, po'folks, mutants and DEAD [[C)KRAK HEADS is now turned to hip cool virbrant place that wood rival Downtown Ferndale. Let fix up these vacant eyesores and bring Detroit to life for the 21st Century.

Wow. Great point. Good contribution. Very pithy.

How about this: Why don't you let us know when you can find some time to contribute to improving education in Detroit. Your selflessness will truly be appreciated.

with sites like this, how do they make sure to exterminate all the bugs/pests during renovation?

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post

Well, this is the case in many if not most of the biggest US cities. I lived in Baltimore for a number of years and their schools are probably as bad as Detroit's. Even working class people tried to send their kids to private school there.