Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default My trash is picked up every week!

When I think about it eventhough the city has it share of problems, my trash gets picked up every Tuesday. Now it might be Tuesday morning or Tuesday evening and I even heard the truck after 9pm but it was on Tuesday. Let me also say that I have seen piles of trash in front of an vacate house and its wasn't bulk day or bulk day wasn't in the near future but that trash was picked up before too long. I was even surprised this one instance because whoever it was put out a third of a block of trash in front of this house and it was still picked up. Also, I have seen where someone broke the glass from a bus stop shelter and it was repaired. I have seen them cutting grass on empty lots, maybe not the entire lot but the edges. I have seen them repair street poles. I have seen some street lights repaired. I have seen what was left from a car accident cleaned up weeks after the accident. I believe that the glass is half full and somethings are getting done, sometimes and that's my angle. Name:  detroit_capitalism-failure.jpg
Views: 1038
Size:  63.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Strong View Post
    I have seen what was left from a car accident cleaned up weeks after the accident.
    That one caught my eye.... Detroiters are forced to pay the extra $300 per year for trash pickup... so it's not surprising. But otherwise you're talking about things being fixed that probably shouldn't be broken in the first place...
    Last edited by Gistok; October-07-12 at 12:13 PM.

But they are broken, and all the church gatherings and prayers and marches aren't fixing anything. Every time I hear of another Rev. somewhere calling for a vigil or a march, I have to shrug. In my area, the residents mow and clean and put their trash out when the bulk day is scheduled, not weeks ahead of time. Our pickup is very regular, our side streets are lit, not the main streets because of whatever hocus pocus grid story we're being fed. I know things are slowly getting better, but not because of any march or vigil, because people moving into the city care. You can call it gentrification or whatever you want, it's what the city needs.

There are still plenty of good people doing a good job in Detroit, regardless of its problems.

It is pretty obvious to me even from the safe distance of Internet photographs that people do care for their environment and properties in Detroit. There is heroism in keeping things in check when property values and essential services are in peril. I have a lot of respect and admiration for detroiters.

Most other cities don't have bulk pickup, those citizens have to take their bigger items to a drop off site.
    We have several drop off sites scattered around the city and its not cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Strong View Post
    We have several drop off sites scattered around the city and its not cost.
    Unfortunately Strong... we have drop off sites "ALL OVER THE CITY"...

Quote Originally Posted by MrMister View Post
    There are still plenty of good people doing a good job in Detroit, regardless of its problems.
    That's very true, and a fact that often gets overlooked in discussions about Detroit, even on this board.