Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Until Death Do Us Part...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Konstantinov

Konstantinov lives in the Detroit area but requires full-time nursing care and struggles to get around with the aid of a walker. His wife, Irina, now lives in West Orange, New Jersey with their daughter.

Sad story...

What is DY's thoughts about spouses leaving each other when faced with a situation like this?

Subjective topic for sure. John McCain dropped his first wife after a auto accident disfigured her face. On the other hand, there are some who stay with their spouse through thick and thin, like the wife of the "superman star", Reeves, I think his name was.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    Subjective topic for sure. John McCain dropped his first wife after a auto accident disfigured her face. On the other hand, there are some who stay with their spouse through thick and thin, like the wife of the "superman star", Reeves, I think his name was.
    Now that was a sad story. Dana Reeve stuck by Christopher throught thick and thin, and was by his side when he died in 2004. Two years later, she was diagnosed with lung cancer and died at age 44, leaving behind a young son.
    Talk about 'Death do us part'

He is not a vegetable.

But, sometimes people become bitter, angry and in at least two cases that I know of where there was some permanent brain damage, violent, when they have been seriously injured/impaired. Eventually they might drive away a spouse that would otherwise stay with them.

I think most people would try to stay with a spouse unless there were problems before the accident.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Locke09 View Post
    He is not a vegetable.

But, sometimes people become bitter, angry and in at least two cases that I know of where there was some permanent brain damage, violent, when they have been seriously injured/impaired. Eventually they might drive away a spouse that would otherwise stay with them.

I think most people would try to stay with a spouse unless there were problems before the accident.
    Who says she didn't try? All we know from the link is that she currently lives in New Jersey.

More to the point, why is it any of our business what she does or doesn't do? Marriages break up all the time for far more trivial reasons than this, and nobody ever starts threads about them.

Bearinabox,

My post does not imply that she didn't try. My post actually implies the opposite; that maybe she did try and there were extinuating circumstances.

As far as whether or not this is a valid thread, if you reread the original post, it does not seek to discuss whether or not Konstantinov's wife made the right decision. It sought discussion on what things would make a spouse leave or stay in such a situation. It is a question of curiosity about human nature, not an attempt to get in her business. The responses so far were general as well - although a couple of specific examples were mentioned of people who stayed or left. So far, I haven't seen any response that renders a character judgement on anyone.

ccbatson Guest

You have to admire the spouses that do stay with injured/ill/impaired spouses.

My husband is loving and supportive despite my being on long term disability. My contribution to the family is a $1,200 Social Security check and a small pension from my employer.

Beyond that, I take care of the house in a much smaller capacity than what might be considered normal for a homemaker.

Is it difficult for my husband? Definitely. Less income, less helping out, less spouse.

ccbatson Guest

That is a real "man" [[intended as a gender neutral comment)....Bravo.

My husband is the same as Crystal's. I am not totally disabled, but unable to do any heavy lifting, climb up and down stairs very often or do any heavy housework. My husband takes very good care of me. As a matter of fact, when I had my first heart attack in 1999, before we were engaged to be married, as I was laying in the ER I told him to leave me. You see, he's almost 10 years younger than I am. I told him to go find himself and younger, healthier woman. But he stayed by my side through the hospitalization and we become engaged shortly after. We have been together every day since. November 1st this year will be the 10th anniversary of my heart attack. Now I have other issues that cause even more problems. He's still here. Bless his heart and soul.

Each of us has a specific journey to be endured. It's impossible for me to say what I would do in any situation that isn't my own.

ccbatson Guest

Inspiring stories of loyalty and family values. Money can't buy what you have in your spouses.

Good posts, thanks for the stories.