Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Internet Providers

I'm a new resident of the West Village and am having trouble getting internet set up.

Any suggestions as to what ISP serves the area? I would appreciate any help!

I have AT&T, which is shitty, overpriced, and has terrible customer service. The other choice when I was looking into this was Comcast, whose cheapest package was about four times more expensive per month than AT&T. Basically you can't win, so just pick one and prepare to be ripped off and jerked around.

My mother lived in a co-op near Van Dyke and Jefferson and they had Comcast. You can get the package with TV, internet and phone. I agree about AT&T customer service, mystifyingly bad.

My biggest beef with Comcast is that they dropped support of Usenet Newsgroups years ago.

Newsgroups in the U.S. have now become an obscure [[non-WWW) corner of the internet that [[once conveyed/still conveys) a deep wealth of information for many serious international professionals.

Yet more dumbing down of the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    My mother lived in a co-op near Van Dyke and Jefferson and they had Comcast. You can get the package with TV, internet and phone. I agree about AT&T customer service, mystifyingly bad.
    Yeah, I think part of the reason Comcast was such a lousy deal for me is that I just wanted Internet without TV or phone service.

I'm in touch with people from different parts of the world. According to them, U.S. has the crappiest Internet access in the world.

I have StarNet Wireless. They're based in Bay City. Have had them since 2008. Heard their radio ad on WWJ news 950. I only pay $24.95/mth. Price has stayed the same since I've had it. They send you the modem [[2 Wire), the cord for the phone jack, instructions for set up. They'll help over the phone if you need assistance. Haven't had any problems with them. One thing though, there is no 24 hr customer service. Only business hours but that hasn't been an issue for me. Ph. [[800) 996-9250 or [[989) 322-0890. I don't have cable [[dumped Comcast years ago when they kept going up in price). You can pay over the phone, online, or automatic deduction from your bank or credit union. I do have AT&T for home phone service but that's it. Don't miss cable at all. Sorry I can't post the link, I'm not on my computer. I live in Detroit over by Dearborn.
    Last edited by msamslex; October-06-12 at 09:47 PM.