Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Ilitches won't renew Joe Louis Arena lease

Ilitches won’t renew lease with Joe Louis Arena

By Bill Shea

The owners of the Detroit Red Wings today told the city of Detroit that they won't renew their lease with Joe Louis Arena, which allows Cobo Arena to return to city control and will pave the way for expansion of Cobo Center.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...FREE/906269987

They will not renew the lease that automatically goes in to effect, instead opting for a new lease. But they are going to continue to lease Joe Louis Arena. They are ending the lease completely on Cobo Arena.
    Last edited by Detroit; June-26-09 at 09:47 AM.

So, when's the deadline to negotiate a new lease for Joe Louis?

Quote Originally Posted by DLife View Post
    So, when's the deadline to negotiate a new lease for Joe Louis?
    I would suppose the deadline would be before the start of the 2010-11 season.

They have to have it done when the current lease expires, July 1, 2010.

Stosh Guest

This clears the way for the Cobo Hall deal to flow smoothly. I remember reading somewhere that a problem in the structure of the proposed deal was Olympia Entertainment's involvement.

Also, it's a potential benefit for the City, short term. Hopefully the city can get a few more pennies from the Wings than the sweetheart deal they had for the past couple of decades.

MIRepublic Guest

It's funny to hear Ilitch Holdings complain that their current deal isn't competitive enough.

So, is the thought behind this that they are negotiating a significantly shorter lease so that they can build an arena, or should I say try and get the city to build a new arena for them?

Not a frigging dime of public money should go toward building Ilitch a new hockey arena. He has the most valuable team in the NHL in JLA; if he wants to build a new arena, let him pay for it himself.

It would be pure insanity to spend what little resources the city has left on a hockey stadium. Unfortunately, the crooked politicians will figure out a way to get it done, and the people will be screwed again.

MIRepublic Guest

I was throwing that out there as a motive, not supporting or advocating for the idea. Developers try to get every last inch of blood out of a turnip they can. I don't think Ilitich Holdings would be above
    asking for some major helping in getting a new arena built, though, that definitely seems like a distant probability. Most likely, they'll build it themselves given all of the money they've saved on what I hear is really a sweetheart lease in the Joe.

Blarf Guest

If the new Wings stadium is built with public money, people will get over it. I hardly ever hear anyone complain about how Comerica Park was funded.

crawford Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomfield Pills View Post
    He has the most valuable team in the NHL in JLA;
    He does? I would really be surprised if this were true. More valuable than the Rangers or Maple Leafs?

I don't have any sources or anything, but I would be really surprised if the Wings had a higher worth than these two teams. The Canadiens may be in the mix too.

I agree with all your other points, though.
    Last edited by crawford; June-27-09 at 10:25 PM.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/31/...ions_Rank.html

4th most valuable...but still damn valuable. New York has the advantage of owning Madison Square Garden, the value of which contributes to much of the team's value I'm assuming.

Maybe the Chin Tiki and all of those other properties behind the Fox didn't go up in vain then.

Where is the East Gate Entrance of the JLA? I'm supposed to gather with a group of folks at a wings game next week..

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    Where is the East Gate Entrance of the JLA? I'm supposed to gather with a group of folks at a wings game next week..
    That would be the entrance on the East side of the building.

EastSider Guest

Look for the West entrance and walk around to the opposite side of the building.

The only problem here is that when Illitch buys the Pistons he will also own The Palace, which is his leverage to get public financing to build a new stadium downtown.

I hate to say it, Illitch is going to say either do it his way or he takes the Wings to Auburn Hills.

Stosh Guest

Sounds to me like they are trying to ditch you or something. There is no such entrance.

The entrance by the river. That map in the post above is made by someone who is obviously directionally challenged.

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    Sounds to me like they are trying to ditch you or something. There is no such entrance.

Again, you are not reading things correctly. Read the labels please. One is incorrect. I don't think anyone is trying to ditch the poster.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    Again, you are not reading things correctly. Read the labels please. One is incorrect. I don't think anyone is trying to ditch the poster.
    Really? How so? Please enlighten me.

Edit, should be Southeast, right? There is no East entrance.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?FORM=Z9LH9...IuNTg2MzU3MTE2
    Last edited by Stosh; November-02-10 at 12:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    Really? How so? Please enlighten me.

Edit, should be Southeast, right? There is no East entrance.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?FORM=Z9LH9...IuNTg2MzU3MTE2
    Certainly. And it helps that you've conveniently posted the map. While the diagram [[should say) SE entrance, it can actually be interpreted as the East entrance, after all it's the only spectator entrance on the East side of the building.

We can thank you for not being helpful in your original post and instead giving a snide remark.
    Last edited by wolverine; November-02-10 at 08:28 AM.

Scary to think that, in my lifetime, TWO former homes of the Red Wings will have met the wrecking ball. God do I feel old.

Joe Louis really only has 2 entrances. It shouldn't be so confusing.

The southeast entrance is on the waterfront, reached by walking through or around Cobo to the river and then westward to the stairs that lead into the arena.

And the northwest [["Gordie Howe") entrance on W. Jefferson, reached by stairs near the box office or a ramp from the pedestrian bridges and the People Mover.