Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit News website now subscriber only?

I don't know if this is some sort of glitch, but when I click on a Detroit News article, I am now prompted to enter username/password. I am curious if others have this problem or if maybe is just a web browser problem.

ETA: All four browsers do the same thing. It is imperfect, but it is the beginning of a paywall, methinks.

Works OK for me. It just let me click & open the Godbee affair article... didn't bother to read it, though, just came back here.

I have gotten that error before, and it goes away. Supposedly all the Gannett papers are going paywall with 15-20 free articles a month if you don't subscribe. The Freep is the Gannett one, but I thought I heard both papers here were going to do it.... Indianapolis just switched over last month....

Quote Originally Posted by rooms222 View Post
    I have gotten that error before, and it goes away. Supposedly all the Gannett papers are going paywall with 15-20 free articles a month if you don't subscribe. The Freep is the Gannett one, but I thought I heard both papers here were going to do it.... Indianapolis just switched over last month....
    I don't understand why they haven't done it by now. Too many sites, including this one, piggyback on their content, without any compensation. I suppose that when that happens, there will be a mad rush for SOME to get the digital subscription. I can't imagine depending on the TV news sites to get my print news.

Quote Originally Posted by townonenorth View Post
    I don't understand why they haven't done it by now. Too many sites, including this one, piggyback on their content, without any compensation. I suppose that when that happens, there will be a mad rush for SOME to get the digital subscription. I can't imagine depending on the TV news sites to get my print news.
    Should the Detroit News pay DetroitYes part of the ad revenue that is generated when a reader from here clicks on one their links?

Quote Originally Posted by rooms222 View Post
    ISupposedly all the Gannett papers are going paywall with 15-20 free articles a month if you don't subscribe.
    Good luck finding 15 articles worth reading in these old rags anyway. They're not what they used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Should the Detroit News pay DetroitYes part of the ad revenue that is generated when a reader from here clicks on one their links?
    No, because if they went to a paywall, the link would not exist for you to link to without a subscription, similar to the Crain's site.

I'd consider paying, if they'd stop foisting those Netflix popup windows on me.

Am also not so fond of flat-fee paywalls. I'll pay for the NYTimes, because I know there's enough good content. I do like reading the local papers online -- but frankly only in very limited quantity -- because there's just so little quantity of what I want to read. So I think I'll probably do without.

They need to find a better model than paywall. You can't really afford to subscribe to all of the 20 newspapers you'd like to read. But I wouldn't mind paying a reasonable fee for some sort of collective access.

Well, the papers missed the internet coming. This'll just help seal their fate.

The Detroit News has been making changes to their server. The newspaper used to resolve to detnews.com, now it goes to detroitnews.com

Paywall? It wouldn't surprise me. I wonder if it will be as porous as the NY Times' current one.