Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Inc Magazine lauds the M@dison Building

Remember how it seemed that every article profiling the Detroit comeback started started at Slow's? Lately, it seems Slow's is being supplanted by the M@adison Building as the poster child.

The M@dison has been placed on Inc. magazine's list of World's Coolest Offices for 2012. Read Article

For nearly 25 years, the Madison Theater, a dingy, worn-out theater on a quiet stretch of Detroit's inner city, stood vacant. But in 2011, Dan Gilbert, the billionaire founder of Quicken Loans purchased this 1917 building, and created an all-out Mecca for start-ups. It opened last year, and now houses more than a dozen start-ups. The "industrial chic" building also includes a 135-seat auditorium, and a giant rooftop patio.
    From Inc. discovered via deadlinedetroit.com.

Loving the continuing stream of laudatory Detroit articles!

Thanks for sharing that interesting article Lowell.... it's just too bad that 2/3 of the M@dison Building is gone. Had the 1806 seat auditorium survived, it would have had the seats removed, the main floors slope flattened out, and made for some interesting "subdivided" space with some cool surviving ornate plasterwork walls among all those "industrial chic" spaces.

I still find those places to be ugly or just plain weird. I don't mind my office being modern, but I sure don't want it to look like Pee Wee's Playhouse. My basement or garage? Fine, but my office should be a place where the public and the politicos alike would not question "why do we pay these people?"

AOL and Urban Outfitters would probably most my style, but I wonder how much of the old Brooks Brother's is left at AOL?
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; October-02-12 at 06:51 PM.