Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Looking for a non traditional hotel stay December 15th, 2012

I need some help! Will be going to a concert near Downtown on Saturday December 15th, 2012 and I am looking to see if there any non traditional places you can stay at for a night in Detroit instead of the typical MGM, MotorCity, Holiday Inn, Westin etc. Any and all suggestions are appreciated!

Try the historic, Inn on Ferry Street. http://innonferrystreet.com/05/

Roberts Riverwalk Hotel or Hostel Detroit

Inn at Ferry Street, for sure!

Honor + Folly in Corktown [[Above Slow's Barbecue).

http://honorandfolly.com/

The Packard Motel!

Isn't the Inn at 97 Winder closed?

Try the Milner Hotel. near Comerica Park. It's not a bad place.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinmotown View Post
    Try the Milner Hotel. near Comerica Park. It's not a bad place.
    The Milner is closing to be converted into apartments, so it will not be available by December.

Airbnb has a number of options if you don't mind staying in people's houses.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    The Packard Motel!
    Forget that place, what you want is the Viking!
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._Michigan.html

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    Airbnb has a number of options if you don't mind staying in people's houses.
    This.

This one is pretty nice, and you're right in Eastern Market: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/72119

The Rio Gran on West Grand. I'm sure you can buy anything or anybody you need there.

Jokes aside, isn't there a hostel in Corktown now?

Over on 14th Street, right near where I-94 cuts in you have the Pink Inn Hotel. Same owner for decades, no private bathrooms, but there are a couple of common bathrooms per floor. You can't get more non-traditional the sharing a bathroom with strangers.

Screw all these...I heard today the Ponchartrain is aiming to reopen the first of December, so if you are diligent, you could be among the first to be disappointed in their Five Starredness. That's what I heard...the Ponch is going to be a Five-Star Hotel.

Maybe if they've THAT much coin to spend, they'll get on with that original second tower.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Screw all these...I heard today the Ponchartrain is aiming to reopen the first of December, so if you are diligent, you could be among the first to be disappointed in their Five Starredness. That's what I heard...the Ponch is going to be a Five-Star Hotel.

Maybe if they've THAT much coin to spend, they'll get on with that original second tower.

Thats awfully optimistic considering they have many windows out at the corner of Larned and Shelby. They are also experimenting with paint colors at Larned and Washington. Looks like they are trying to determine if scarlett and grew would look good on the place. Maybe they hate wolverines?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Thats awfully optimistic considering they have many windows out at the corner of Larned and Shelby. They are also experimenting with paint colors at Larned and Washington. Looks like they are trying to determine if scarlett and grew would look good on the place. Maybe they hate wolverines?

I was being facetious...hence the language of him becoming one of the first to be disappointed.

I guess they chose the wrong lowest bidder for those windows. The company chosen supposedly can only supply a trickle of what they need...by now I don't see how they can find anyone else to finish the job on time and within budget. Someone finally did the math on their daily progress and realized it would be well past the Auto Show before they would get 'em all done. Well past.

I'd say their December 1st deadline is a pipe dream.

The Leyland is good if you like Rats