Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Detroit's old night life

In researching content for my film, "The Great Detroit? It was-It is-It will be" I have found information about the many night clubs, bars, private clubs, concert venues and restaurants of decades long ago.
    From the still standing private clubs like the Detroit Yacht Club, Detroit Boat Club, Detroit Athletic Club, to the Fox Theater, Music Hall, Opera House, Masonic Temple and Gem Theater.

To learn more about my film go to www.strongdetroit.net or to support our efforts go to www.indiegogo.com/thegreatdetroitdocumentary.

Please list your thoughts, pictures and narratives about the old Detroit.

Thank you,
    Anthony Brogdon
    Producer

I learned that the Fox Theater opened in 1928 by William Fox who later opened Fox Theaters in Brooklyn, Atlanta, San Francisco, and St. Louis. Name:  images.jpg
Views: 3889
Size:  10.4 KB

Wow! A documentary film about Detroit! What a great idea!

I used to go to this bar called the City Club back in the old days.

There was also this bar at Telegraph and Six Mile that had this lighthouse in front of it. I don't remember the name, but I remember it had nickle beer nights.

The 20 Grand Theater staged some great acts.

The Great Detroit? documentary is different than the others, its 100% positive

Quote Originally Posted by Strong View Post
    The Great Detroit? documentary is different than the others, its 100% positive
    This project sounds better and better the more I hear of it!

The Red Door at Cobbs corner.
    Elmers which is now Honest Johns has a fascinating story behind it regarding its previous owner John Thompson.
    The original Bookies on 6 mile
    City Club
    Traxx although Id never been there as far as I can remember but those were hazy days.
    Harpos must have some great stories.

Good luck, looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    The Red Door at Cobbs corner.
    Elmers which is now Honest Johns has a fascinating story behind it regarding its previous owner John Thompson.
    The original Bookies on 6 mile
    City Club
    Traxx although Id never been there as far as I can remember but those were hazy days.
    Harpos must have some great stories.

Good luck, looking forward to it.
    I don't know, Django. This doc is supposed to be 100 percent positive. Could you tell all the stories of those bars and still have them be all sunshine and rainbows?

Is this a documentary or a fairy tale?

Here's a not so old thread ...my entry is Club Polski's on Conant near 6 Mile Rd. [[ East Side ) just across the street from the original ? Buddy's Pizza

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...Of-The-Sixties

Well shoot, if he's going to spam, here's my more... erm, nuanced take on Detroit: http://mishigamaa.wordpress.com/.

To be truthful, Strong, it looks like you've got some good material lined up, although I feel like you're going a little too far by claiming stuff like 'Detroit has a Greek neighborhood.' That's just disingenuous. We have a block with a handful of Greek stores, and that's it. The city has few Greek residents, let alone enough anywhere to be called a community.

It's good to be positive, but let's not be deceptive, either!

What's wrong with telling only one side of the story, all the other people do and there's is the negative side.
    It's like when you were a child, you rather your parents highlight the good that you're doing and leave the negative out, if just for one night.

How far back do you want to go? I can hook you up with Harry Jarkey, a comedian/emcee who in the 1940s worked such local night spots as The Bowery, Club 509, the Hi-Lo Club and the Corktown Tavern. Harry just celebrated his 99th birthday and he's still sharp as a tack.
    http://www.detroitkidshow.com/jarkey.htm

Red Carpet on Warren in the days of Teegarden & VanWinkle.

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    Red Carpet on Warren in the days of Teegarden & VanWinkle.
    Isn't Van Winkle "Vanilla Ice's" real name?

The Great Detroit? a documentary that might surprise you or remind you or enlight you or make you smile and proud.

www.strongdetroit.net for more info.

LOL! I remember that place! I got in a number of fights in there!

Club Polskis that is!

The Great Detroit? a documentary that might surprise you or remind you or enlight you or make you smile and proud.

www.strongdetroit.net for more info.
    4-No advertising. Advertising in any form is not permitted, except by permission and / or contract. For established forum members free classified ads are permitted subject to the conditions cited in the free classified forum.

I learned that the Fox Theater opened in 1928 by William Fox who later opened Fox Theaters in Brooklyn, Atlanta, San Francisco, and St. Louis. Name:  images.jpg
Views: 3889
Size:  10.4 KB
    Yes EVERYONE on here knows about the theatres. If you did your research you would have found that our resident theatre expert Gistok has a thread dedicated to C. Howard Crane and his fabulous creations!

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...C-Howard-Crane

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    There was also this bar at Telegraph and Six Mile that had this lighthouse in front of it. I don't remember the name, but I remember it had nickle beer nights.
    Surfside 6

Chuck Joseph's on Grand River in Rosedale was my hangout forty years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Chuck Joseph's on Grand River in Rosedale was my hangout forty years ago.
    No Jordan's on the River?

serpico Guest

Joey's Stabbles, The Delray Cafe.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast