Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Crossing [[Ambassador ) Bridge of State Control

Friday, June 26, 2009
    Daniel Howes

Crossing bridge of state control

Paid my $4 to cross the river into Canada last weekend, courtesy of the allegedly rapacious capitalist who owns the Ambassador Bridge. He's trying to build a new one.
    The rebuilt ramps, sparkling ribbons of concrete, abruptly end as you're redirected onto the aging bridge. The Duty-Free Shop, of faintly Scandinavian design, looks to be a massive upgrade from the cheesy old Quonset hut whose smokes and booze lured travelers on their way to Windsor, the 401 and beyond.
    But what about the second span, so badly needed to replace the iconic bridge built in 1927, the same year its owner, Matty Moroun, was born? Not coming anytime soon, as the shipping magnate-cum-real estate mogul and his Detroit International Bridge Co. slide deeper by the day into petty squabbles with the Michigan Department of Transportation and myriad bureaucrats in both countries.
    The result: a confluence of behavior that is equal parts slapstick comedy and bureaucratic over-reach, with a healthy dollop of power politics and some requisite junior high juvenilia thrown in.
    Earlier this week, Ambassador Bridge President Dan Stamper called a press conference to denounce a petulant MDOT's move to dump tons of dirt and debris on a freshly paved roadway, ostensibly [[MDOT responded, confirming Stamper's claims) to protect the interests of taxpayers in the $230 million I-75 Gateway Project.
    Wednesday, MDOT filed a breach of contract suit in Wayne County Circuit Court, accusing the bridge company of altering its plans in ways that could jeopardize the federal funding for the project. This from the same state agency that also is part [[for obvious reasons, given its responsibility) of a government-backed plan to build a competing span downriver.
    What's next -- a ritual sacrifice in the middle of the bridge or the serendipitous discovery of a tattered, century-old Indian compact to block ol' Moroun?
    The rival Detroit River International Crossing, you see, proposes to spend yet billions more of your money to raze neighborhoods on both sides of the border to build a second span that would compete with Moroun, the tunnel and the Bluewater Bridge in Port Huron. Oh, and the governments -- the United States and Canada, Michigan and Ontario -- would reap the incremental revenue they otherwise wouldn't see if privately-financed Ambassador II goes it alone.
    Can't have that, can we? Can't allow a private business person to finish the project and to reap the return of his investment even as his company is required to comply with the border controls, customs rules and national security implications on both sides of the river.
    Then it hit me: This drama symbolizes our times, as we watch an energized federal government controlled by a new president and a single party move to remake the financial sector, the domestic auto industry, executive pay, the energy producers through "cap-and-trade" and the health care business, among other things.
    Private ownership is bad, and government ownership is good. Private industry is more efficient [[witness the progress of Stamper & Co., for example), but government is somehow more fair and equitable. Private industry cannot be allowed to reap the benefit of its risk-taking if government cannot get a [[bigger) piece of the action.
    I suppose I speak for more than a few routine border crossers: Don't care who controls the bridge so long as it's a) safe and b) speedy and c) something north of the testy ritual it's become since the dark days after the September 11 attacks.
    If Moroun can do it quicker, within the requirements of authorities on both sides and with a lot less government money, what's the problem -- aside from the obvious fact that government gets one less asset to control and mine for cash.
    dchowes@detnews.com [[313) 222-2106 Daniel Howes' column runs Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. Catch him Fridays with Paul W. Smith on 760-WJR.

© Copyright 2008 The Detroit News. All rights reserved.

Well, add Dan Howes to the list of people in the pay of Matty Moroun. How dare he do anything but castigate him as a slumlord and pure evil!

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    Daniel Howes ... Catch him Fridays with Paul W. Smith on 760-WJR
    Ahh, that explains quite a bit. *cough*Republican hack*cough*

Dan Misses the whole issue in this article.... News Flash: The Government Has Laws that muct be abided by in order to build said bridge....
    Not only that DIBC doesn't even own the land required to build the second span nor is it likely it ever will with the canadians not budging and it is highly improbable that he will be able to take riverside, reclassify fort street and reopen Jefferson like he would like.... It doesn't matter that Matty Jr. is on the Riverfront conservancy board that doesn't mean that he has any authority to redo the west riverwalk plan.... So all in all it is one giant miss on this article I could not disagree with dan more...

gravitymachine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BShea View Post
    Well, add Dan Howes to the list of people in the pay of Matty Moroun. How dare he do anything but castigate him as a slumlord and pure evil!
    sure thing General Turgidson

Its gotta be tough being a billionaire ,wanting to build a bridge but the Canadians wont let you and never will, As far as his own money what a laugh,He will borrow the money for the bridge at the same place the State will ,The big difference is the tax payers will keep the profits not Manny.

If Moroun can do it quicker, within the requirements of authorities on both sides and with a lot less government money, what's the problem -- aside from the obvious fact that government gets one less asset to control and mine for cash.
    Makes you wonder whether Howes has read any of the coverage on the issue. No one's disputing Moroun can build a bridge quicker with less public input [[both in terms of money and community involvement!). The problem is that he's doing so in an aggressive, probably illegal way [[building a ramp to a bridge that hasn't been approved, occupying Riverside Park, cutting off 23rd Street, unilaterally changing the design of the plaza without consulting MDOT or the feds) and the local community is adamantly opposed to the project due to decades of poor citizenship, symbolized most glaringly by the decaying train station.

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    Friday, June 26, 2009
    I suppose I speak for more than a few routine border crossers: Don't care who controls the bridge so long as it's a) safe and b) speedy and c) something north of the testy ritual it's become since the dark days after the September 11 attacks.
    ...because it isn't in your backyard

Lorax Guest

Daniel Howes is apparently just another right wing apologist, determined to prop up the failing capitalist structure which his party allowed to de facto destroy our national economy.

What can these people expect? They run the nation into a ditch, then they think they can go on with business as usual?

Not this time. The damage is too great, and without nationalizing the banks, good luck in getting a loan in the future. It's kind of easy to understand- no job, or poor paying job, no credit, or bad credit = no loan.

Unless, of course, the prices of tangible goods drops about 80%, then we can probably pay cash for most things, including houses, cars, etc. Then maybe we'll stand a chance a being able to buy things sometime in the future.

It's a shame the Ambassador Bridge will suffer throughout this debacle, and will no doubt end up being demolished, once DIBC gets it's new span built.

I haven't been over it in years, but I would venture to say, with it being controlled by fascists, it has been sadly neglected, and will soon be a candidate for demolition, based on the high quality care given to Matted Moron's other properties.

To the barricades, comrades! From each according to his ability, from each according to his need!

Is there truly anything wrong with the present bridge structurally? When was the golden gate bridge built. Most of the time I like reading Daniel Howes, but he's off base on this one.

Howes is a first class ASSHAT!
    That's all.

Well put Homer.

Heard Marge on the crystal set today. She sounded heisty as ever, must be that blue beehive.

If Moroun can do it quicker, within the requirements of authorities on both sides band with a lot less government money, what's the problem -- aside from the obvious fact that government gets one less asset to control and mine for cash.
    That's a major problem with him and his company, he ignores any requirements except his own.

I'll give Matty this, he sees a much bigger picture than most. This is not just about control of a single border crossing, albeit the busiest in North America, but control of the entire trucking industry and its corridors throughout this country.

Look at his proposal in the Niagara region to build a second span for trucks only and limit the Peace Bridge to automobiles only. If he were to succeed in controlling these two border crossings, the two busiest east of the Mississippi, he controls the trucking industry, as well, and that is the real basis of his wealth.

There are more issues to consider, as he examines purchasing or building border crossings from Mexico as well.

Is it wise or prudent to allow control of the NAFTA Super-Highway to be controlled by a single private entity?
    Last edited by jams; June-26-09 at 09:36 PM.

Howes doesn't normally suck down to the Nolan Finley level of suckitude. But on this one, he managed to show that he doesn't have the first clue about most of what's been going on with the bridge debate or he didn't want the facts to get in the way of the point he was determined to make. Howes needs to go back to talking about the auto bailouts or an issue where he actually knows what's going on.

MIRepublic Guest

I'm confused. How is this different from the usual warped/distorted drivel Howes is famous for professing? Between himself and Finley, there's enough of this crap at the Detroit News to make even the most fickle conservative orgasm a dozen times a minute.

You'd think multiples might loosen them up a bit...

I'm curious... what does an average truck crossing the Ambassador Bridge have to pay as a fare? I realize it's axle based.

If prevented from building a 2nd span there, Maroun will be forced to undercut the price of fares to Canada once a 2nd span is built downriver from the Ambassador Bridge.... just to get truckers to go the additional mile or two to get to his bridge. And unlike a downriver bridge, he won't have a bond issue to pay off... especially if he continues to skimp on maintenance.

One could see him sending the other bridges bonds into default if his rates are significantly lower.

Think about it... a multi-billion dollar bridge is going to have to charge higher fares in order to pay off the bonds required to build it, than will the Ambassador Bridge.

I have a feeling that in the end... that's where the taxpayers are eventually going to get their comeuppence from Maroun... "in the rear end".

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I'm curious... what does an average truck crossing the Ambassador Bridge have to pay as a fare? I realize it's axle based.

If prevented from building a 2nd span there, Maroun will be forced to undercut the price of fares to Canada once a 2nd span is built downriver from the Ambassador Bridge.... just to get truckers to go the additional mile or two to get to his bridge. And unlike a downriver bridge, he won't have a bond issue to pay off... especially if he continues to skimp on maintenance.

One could see him sending the other bridges bonds into default if his rates are significantly lower.

Think about it... a multi-billion dollar bridge is going to have to charge higher fares in order to pay off the bonds required to build it, than will the Ambassador Bridge.

I have a feeling that in the end... that's where the taxpayers are eventually going to get their comeuppence from Maroun... "in the rear end".
    Gistok both bridges would be funded with the same bonds.... and would both be paid back through tolls one bridges money goes back in moroun's pocket the other would go back to the tax payers.... Also Federally funded bridges are allowed to have quick passes for quicker travel that privately ones aren't allowed to have... So it is highly unlikely that matty will ever be able to compete with a publicly owned bridge that is why he is so terrified of the thought...

Well, gosh guys! Why don't we just go on ahead and get behind ol' Matty on this'un? I mean, he's a swell guy! I remember one Summer afternoon when I happened upon a group of fellows harassing a cripple child. One man stepped forward to set these gents straight. When he was completed with his castigation of these pestulant pipsqueaks, not a dry eye was seen in the vicinity. They learned their lesson and helped the child to learn to walk again. I had to ask "who was that kind soul?" Imagine my surprise upon hearing, "Why that's ol' Matty Moron. His love for all of Detroit and her citizenry goes unheralded, but is as true as can be!"

I had seen him do his good deeds. I knew then how beautiful life can be.

Gistok both bridges would be funded with the same bonds....

Wrong No.1: The DRIC would used tax-exempt government bonds. DIBC will use similar tax-exempt private activity bonds set up by the federal government specifically for the project like this. If you don't like those sort of bonds, you need to let your senators and reps know.

and would both be paid back through tolls one bridges money goes back in moroun's pocket the other would go back to the tax payers....

Wrong No. 2 [[sort of): The money paid by the DRIC will go back to that fund to be used by other private entities doing public works projects. The money won't be used for general government use, but I suppose you could make the case that it goes back to the taxpayers in a roundabout way. Again, these bonds were designed for private use, and they do have to be paid back.

Also Federally funded bridges are allowed to have quick passes for quicker travel that privately ones aren't allowed to have...

Wrong No. 3: That's completely untrue. The Ambassador has both Nexus and FAST program lanes. Those have nothing to do with DIBC. The actual physical act of crossing is controlled by the federal government. The new span will use the same lanes, which come into the plaza, not the bridge itself.

So it is highly unlikely that matty will ever be able to compete with a publicly owned bridge that is why he is so terrified of the thought...

Wrong No. 4: I don't know Moroun, but I doubt he's terrified. The fact is, the DRIC will be charging double or more the tolls on trucks because the traffic count will be so low, and that will force logistics companies to look to Moroun's bridge. It's a Catch-22 for DRIC -- without the traffic, it's forced to increase tolls because a government bridge can't pay off its bonds and interest if it's losing money. So, either the tolls will be forced higher or they will seek a subsidy.

Now, if traffic picks back up one day, and I'm sure it will, they can lower tolls. But from the traffic studies I've seen, the traffic reports from all the borders crossings themselves, there isn't enough traffic for both bridges right now, and won't be for the forseeable future. Hence, higher rates for trucks or a new tax for all of us will be needed. That is simple, basic economics.

Now hurry up and call be a Nazi, right-wing extremist apologist, Moroun ass-kiss and whatnot, and avoid the facts at hand. Truth is, the numbers don't lie. Yeah, Moroun and DIBC have a lot of issues to work out, and the feds could very well tell 'em they have to pay all of the Gateway price ... and Canada could never allow them to build a second span ... or whatever ... those are valid and different arguments. I'm simply talking about the traffic justification for a second bridge by the DRIC's 2013 goal. Facts are facts: The numbers aren't there, but the government's and bridge's own numbers.

Sure, one day there will be, and we'll need more crossings ... hell, hopefully the economy rebounds so well we need more than all the proposed crossings now ... but for the near term, the numbers don't support DRIC from all I've been seen or told.

I understand all of you have your hatred for MM, but you allow it to color your logic. The economic case has nothing to do with HOW he's handling the project, right or wrong, or if he's a slumlord or Upright Citizen. This is purely an economic case, which doesn't justify -- right now -- the second bridge as is. I've seen everything both sides have to say on this, and the case isn't there.
    Last edited by BShea; June-29-09 at 06:51 AM.

The fact is, the DRIC will be charging double or more the tolls on trucks because the traffic count will be so low, and that will force logistics companies to look to Moroun's bridge. It's a Catch-22 for DRIC -- without the traffic, it's forced to increase tolls because a government bridge can't pay off its bonds and interest if it's losing money. So, either the tolls will be forced higher or they will seek a subsidy.
    Plus if the cannibalization of traffic ends up hurting the DIBC bridge, they will have to increase tolls as well, or even worse if they were to start to fold they would need essentially a bailout. Because, if you're going to argue that we need two bridges for security reasons it makes no sense to let one bridge fold.

Bearinabox Guest

I understand all of you have your hatred for MM, but you allow it to color your logic. The economic case has nothing to do with HOW he's handling the project, right or wrong, or if he's a slumlord or Upright Citizen.
    So if he handles the project in a way that maximizes his profit and screws everyone else over, that has no effect on the economic case? When dealing with someone who has proven himself time and time again to be anything but an Upright Citizen, we should make the economic case as though he were? I don't see where it makes sense to ignore everything you know about the man when deciding whether to give him this much control over the border.

I don't see where it makes sense to ignore everything you know about the man when deciding whether to give him this much control over the border.

He doesn't have control of the border. The federal government does. Not Moroun, not MDOT, but the feds. They decide border policy and they staff the border with Customs and Border Patrol agents.

If the feds have a problem, they have a helluva lot of ability to make it known than MDOT or Canada. Moroun owns the infrastructure.

The bridge was put there long before Moroun came along. They didn't put one in Delray 80 years ago because it didn't make sense then just as it doesn't today.

Again, the economic case is seperate from your personal feelings about Moroun or his stewardship of properties elsewhere. The case IS linked to Gateway, and if DIBC is guilty of wrongdoing there, it needs fixed and fixed pronto. But that is also separate from traffic counts, too.

The sense I get here is that people dislike Moroun, so they'd prefer to see DRIC built to harm him, even if it makes more sense to just have a new Ambassador span, and even if it means shippers pay higher tolls and even if it means we get taxed for the bridge because it cannot pay its bonds off.

DRIC as a punative measure is a terribly stupid idea.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast