Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Eastern Market is a blast

I truly enjoy spending Saturdays at Eastern Market. Now I admit I don't get early in the morning, I'll usually arrive around 2 when I think the most people are hanging around. I like crowds.
    I'll buy some spices, fruits and vegetables, breads and table flowers. I have the regulars vendors that I patronize, I have gotten to know them and they will usually do a deal with me.
    I then will buy something to eat at one of the restaurants and before I know it I've spent roughly two hours hanging in the market.
    Now, I am getting my nerve up, because I want to try the karoke, it looks like a lot of fun
    I'll let you know, maybe you can come and cheer me on.

I interviewed the executive director of Eastern Market for my documentary, The Great Detroit, he is seen a short version of the actual film: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSCmzNOIFlg

Question: Do you know of another city that has as nice of a market as Detroit does?

Quote Originally Posted by Strong View Post
    I truly enjoy spending Saturdays at Eastern Market. Now I admit I don't get early in the morning, I'll usually arrive around 2 when I think the most people are hanging around. I like crowds.
    I'll buy some spices, fruits and vegetables, breads and table flowers. I have the regulars vendors that I patronize, I have gotten to know them and they will usually do a deal with me.
    I then will buy something to eat at one of the restaurants and before I know it I've spent roughly two hours hanging in the market.
    Now, I am getting my nerve up, because I want to try the karoke, it looks like a lot of fun

I interviewed the executive director of Eastern Market for my documentary, The Great Detroit, he is seen a short version of the actual film: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSCmzNOIFlg

Question: Do you know of another city that has as nice of a market as Detroit does?

Depends upon your definition of nice, I guess.

Philadelphia's farmer's market is pretty amazing. I think ours has the award for 'oldest in the same spot', while Philly's moved once but it actully older.

Dan Carmody is one of the city's heroes.

Cheers

Kansas City has a nice one, but the people aren't as friendly.

I'm beginning to wonder if OP is a plant from the City Booster Squad.

eastern market started in cadilac square in 1841 and moved to present location in 1891. it is the largest farmers market in the u.s. but not the prettiest as the above have stated.
    http://www.detroiteasternmarket.com/page.php?p=1&s=58

Eastern Market is a blast, equally as cool is Cleveland's West Side Market; of all the places we've traveled they're the top two...

http://www.westsidemarket.org/about.html

I've been to the Cleveland and Philly Markets both are interesting and different than what we have. Philly's is on the bottom floor of the old Reading Terminal right downtown. The terminal has been expanded into their convention center. Cleveland's is centered around a historic market building.

Other interesting markets close by include Toledo's which is right next to their downtown ballpark, and Hamilton, ON's. Toledo's has both sheds and a large building that used to be the convention center. The building contains a Libbey Glass outlet, an antique market, and other spaces that seem to either be quite lively or dead. Hamilton's is part of a huge complex of interconnected office towers, Hotels, the City's main ice arena, Public Library, and a dead Eaton's center.

Ann Arbor also has a rather anemic overrated one in its Kerrytown Neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I'm beginning to wonder if OP is a plant from the City Booster Squad.
    OP??? who is that?

I used to sing Karaoke every Saturday at Eastern Market.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    OP??? who is that?
    Person who started the topic. Stands for "original poster".

The OP is doing a documentary about Detroit, "The Great Detroit?" plus he likes to look at things from that half full perspective. I feel better when I do. check out www.strongdetroit.net

where can you park near eastern market?

Where can you NOT park around Eastern Market?! Have you ever actually been there?!

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Where can you NOT park around Eastern Market?! Have you ever actually been there?!
    is it mostly meters? any free parking? lots?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    is it mostly meters? any free parking? lots?
    The only meters I've ever seen were on Russell on the other side of the freeway near the hardware store before you get to Gratiot. There are many big lots and they're all free up and down Russell before you get to Mack. I could always find a parking space behind the Pottery Guy Shed. There's always space back there probably because no one ever goes back there.

We interviewed Dan for our documentary "The Great Detroit?" click on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSCmzNOIFlg to see the interview. Our funding campaign is www.indiegogo.com/thegreatdetroitdocumentary, thanks

I was told that there are plans to renovate some Eastern Market buildings for residential use and add more non food retailers

Original Poster....
    Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    OP??? who is that?

It can get a little dicey for parking so days. I just go early or later once things clear out. I come in from the MLK, Russell end, coming south to downdown. I know better than to fiddle with the Gratiot end...

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post

I was told that there are plans to renovate some Eastern Market buildings for residential use and add more non food retailers
    Yeah, it is already happening. Just in the last couple years we have the new Germack store and coffee shop, Signal-Return and Salt & Cedar letterpress studios, Omnicorps Detroit hackerspace, the Cultivation Station garden supply store, art spaces like the Red Bull Gallery, Art Effect Gallery, Fourteen-Eighty Gallery, and shops like Michigan Artisans and Detroit Mercantile and a music venue called Trinosophes, the new home for the Bohemian Home In Exile. There is also more planned with a pet store called 2 Dogs 1 Cat, Frontera a high-end gourmet restaurant, pastry shop and bed & breakfast on Gratiot, the Supino's expansion that will create an all new restaurant and bar and a still-rumored restaurant opening next door to Germack. Finally, the insane rumor of a container-ship boutique hotel, but I wouldn't put to much faith in that one. As far as residential, the E&B Brewery Lofts are expanding and adding dozens of new lofts and there are many other buildings with loft-potential.

In your video Strong... you have to correct something about Detroit... it doesn't have the 2nd oldest Catholic Church... but the 2nd oldest continuously operating Catholic parish in the country... Ste. Anne's [[founded 1701). They're on their 8th church [[built 1887), and even here in Detroit they're not in the top ten of oldest churches.... they just have a parish that has an unbroken history back to 1701.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    It can get a little dicey for parking so days. I just go early or later once things clear out. I come in from the MLK, Russell end, coming south to downdown. I know better than to fiddle with the Gratiot end...
    After living in the Market for nearly three years, through Flower Days and Lion's Fanatical Tailgatoring [[believe me, that is not a typo, they are gators...devourers...monsters, I tell ya), I developed a few oblique approaches which avoid most of the traffic.

I'd tell ya privately, but not here...since I don't want EVERYONE driving 'em. It'll take out the advantage...LOL!

Cheers

Pittsburgh's Strip District is nice, but doesn't have nearly the scale of EM.

I used to go there when I was a kid, back in the 50s and 60s. it was amazing then! I haven't been lately...this time of year we would have these big crates of Macintosh apples in the pantry, where they stayed cold and crisp. a great memory, of a great market. Vive Eastern Market!

I do enjoy Eastern Market and surrounding shops, especially spring-summer, it's definitely special.

But to answer the OP's question, I just got back from a driving trip and happened to stop in Pittsburghs Strip dist and Clevelands Western markets. Pittsburgh's was ok but it seemed more scattered, maybe not a fair comparison. Clevelands Western Market was really good and they were celebrating a 100th birthday last week. I was impressed with the number of vendors, products. Had lunch at the brewery across the street which was great too. If in Cleveland, I would say it's worth a stop...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast