I have found that Detroit has an emerging arts community. I the making of my documentary "The Great Detroit?" I look for what's happening in the city by reading the various weekly magazines, internet etc.
There's a number of people who are opening art galleries, or just artistic places in vacate lots, warehouses, etc.
The Detroit Design Festival really highlighted this point with over 70 locations throughout the city. I attended a number of their events in places that I didn't know existed and in talking with some of the owners I was surprised how long they have been opened. .
Just to name a few multi unit art galleries: The Russell Industrial Center, the recently opened gallery in Mexican Village at the old police station, the gallery on Grand River across from the Post Office and I'm sure there are others.
At its not just the gallery openings but the events that the artistic community produce that's so exciting.
I believe that this is one of the many aspects that measure how Detroit is coming on Strong.

Anthony
Producer The Great Detroit, documentary
www.strongdetroit.net or www.indiegogo.com/thegreatdetroitdocumentary