Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default What makes a great Detroit documentary?

Recently there have been a number of documentaries done about Detroit, covering a variety of subject matters.
    I was wondering what would you like to see in a Detroit documentary. There is a documentary being produced by StrongDetroit.net. The title of the film is "The Great Detroit? It was-It is-It will be". The film is expected to be released on Dvd within the next few months.

The film examines Detroit from a positive perspective, no negative images or comments at all. It could be considered a 90 minute commercial about Detroit.

There will be over 40 interviews of people who will talk about Detroit's history, its business, social services, education, medical, technology, urban gardening, recreation, arts and religious communities. The film cites many little known facts. Also, there will be footage of Detroit's downtown, midtown, neighborhoods, business districts, parks and riverfront. In short, its a little of everything.

There's a facebook page, Thegreatdetroit, so people are encouraged to "like" it.

To see a short version, go to www.strongdetroit.net or to support the producers efforts, go to

www.indiegogo.com/thegreatdetroitdocumentary

Please reply with suggestions of people to interview or landscape to film.

I just watched the three minute preview. This one was a lot like the Michigan Sing-A-Long video. I hope the one Black man [[everyone else was White) in the preview is not the only one in the documentary otherwise it's just another video designed to help White people get over their intense fear of coming to Detroit.
    Last edited by MidTownMs; September-28-12 at 06:52 PM.

car chases, 'splosions, lots of skanky women, ohh and Sinbad.

Quote Originally Posted by Strong View Post
    Recently there have been a number of documentaries done about Detroit, covering a variety of subject matters.
    I was wondering what would you like to see in a Detroit documentary. There is a documentary being produced by StrongDetroit.net. The title of the film is "The Great Detroit? It was-It is-It will be". The film is expected to be released on Dvd within the next few months.

The film examines Detroit from a positive perspective, no negative images or comments at all. It could be considered a 90 minute commercial about Detroit.

There will be over 40 interviews of people who will talk about Detroit's history, its business, social services, education, medical, technology, urban gardening, recreation, arts and religious communities. The film cites many little known facts. Also, there will be footage of Detroit's downtown, midtown, neighborhoods, business districts, parks and riverfront. In short, its a little of everything.

There's a facebook page, Thegreatdetroit, so people are encouraged to "like" it.

To see a short version, go to www.strongdetroit.net or to support the producers efforts, go to

www.indiegogo.com/thegreatdetroitdocumentary

Please reply with suggestions of people to interview or landscape to film.
    This sounds like the equivalent of trying to design a car based on feedback from focus groups with the result being an "appliance" that has "a little bit of everything".

Why don't you use your own passion for the subject and apply your creativity so that you surprise and delight us with the result?

Default The Great Detroit documentary

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    I just watched the three minute preview. This one was a lot like the Michigan Sing-A-Long video. I hope the one Black man [[everyone else was White) in the preview is not the only one in the documentary otherwise it's just another video designed to help White people get over their intense fear of coming to Detroit.
    The actual film has over 40 interviews with people from all races and cultural backgrounds.

I will the film is 75% complete. I asked because maybe someone knew of somebody who was really making a difference in their community.

[QUOTE=Strong;343222]The actual film has over 40 interviews with people from all races and cultural backgrounds.[/QUOTE

It's too bad there wasn't more diversity in the preview.

More diversity to come in more previews.
    For example we interviewed a past president of the Detroit Yacht Club as he mentioned how the land that the club sits on is man made. We interviewed the founder of PuppetArt Museum and Theater and he commented on how the national organization for this puppet industry started in Detroit.
    We interviewed an executive director of a nationall recognized non-profit agency and she commented on how supportive Detroiters are to their efforts.
    We will interview Emanuel Stewart of Kronk boxing or director of Motown Museum or director of Detroit Historical Museum.
    We have interviewed a lady who owns a bakery, she's a native of a European country and she's in your native language.
    This film will be huge.
    Support us if you can, www.indiegogo.com/thegreatdetroitdocumentary