Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Will Detroit Elect a Felon ...or a Republican ?

In the 1st House District the Democratic winner in the primary was a 35 year old gentleman who has been convicted eight times, all felonies. He is facing a Grosse Pointe Republican.

When the ballots are counted, whom will Detroit elect?

http://www.freep.com/article/20120928/NEWS02/309280169/8-time-felon-running-for-seat-in-Michigan-House?odyssey=mod|mostview

so the law school grad has 8 felony convictions.. neat.. though i'm sure the opposition party has its own rascals..
    ... I wonder was Banks done with school by the time has most recent arrest/conviction?
    if he's barred from the bar, it seems like he could get involved with something else like a free legal advice clinic.. [[or do you have to be fully licensed to work for one?)

Sadly, I expect we'll elect a felon.

First of all, it's not a "Detroit" district. It's split between Detroit and Harper Woods, Grosse Pointe Woods, and Grosse Pointe Shores.

But I'm sure glad that I don't live there. Low turnout primaries sometimes have odd results, and this was one of them.

In what was essentially a 4 way Democratic primary for an open seat much of the vote split between real estate guy Scott Benson, longtime community activist Valerie Kindle, and former Wayne County Commissioner Chris Cavanagh [[Jerry's son). This allowed "reformed man" and law school graduate [[but non-lawyer - perhaps because of his felony convictions?) Brian Banks to sneak through by less than 100 votes over Benson - with some key financial and campaign support from our favorite international bridge owner, who seems to feel that he has something at stake in State Rep races...

The Republican candidate - who has no realistic shot in this overwhelmingly Democratic district - is a GP Shores guy who is in danger of being booted off of their council for being such an insufferable jerk.

So, no real choice at all there. Perhaps a better organized Democratic primary campaign would be a good idea in 2014?
    Last edited by EastsideAl; September-28-12 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    so the law school grad has 8 felony convictions.. neat.. though i'm sure the opposition party has its own rascals..
    ... I wonder was Banks done with school by the time has most recent arrest/conviction?
    if he's barred from the bar, it seems like he could get involved with something else like a free legal advice clinic.. [[or do you have to be fully licensed to work for one?)
    In some cases, people can become licensed to practice law despite prior run-ins with the law, particularly if they occurred long before the individual seeks to become licensed. However, with eight felony convictions, it is very unlikely Banks could ever be licensed anywhere.

Whether one is receiving compensation or charging a fee for the work, practice in a free legal clinic is still the practice of law and requires a license. So Banks could not have lawfully worked in a free legal advice clinic.

It's not like the state legislature ever does anything anyway. Give him five minutes and his term limits will be up.

Assuming he was really bad @ it and got caught every single time, to me this isn't a mistake but habitual. Would UPS hire a driver who's had 8 prior DUI's only 8 years ago?

there's a difference between felons and republicans?

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    First of all, it's not a "Detroit" district. It's split between Detroit and Harper Woods, Grosse Pointe Woods, and Grosse Pointe Shores.

But I'm sure glad that I don't live there. Low turnout primaries sometimes have odd results, and this was one of them.

In what was essentially a 4 way Democratic primary for an open seat much of the vote split between real estate guy Scott Benson, longtime community activist Valerie Kindle, and former Wayne County Commissioner Chris Cavanagh [[Jerry's son). This allowed "reformed man" and law school graduate [[but non-lawyer - perhaps because of his felony convictions?) Brian Banks to sneak through by less than 100 votes over Benson - with some key financial and campaign support from our favorite international bridge owner, who seems to feel that he has something at stake in State Rep races...

The Republican candidate - who has no realistic shot in this overwhelmingly Democratic district - is a GP Shores guy who is in danger of being booted off of their council for being such an insufferable jerk.

So, no real choice at all there. Perhaps a better organized Democratic primary campaign would be a good idea in 2014?
    My fellow eastsider, this is the most valuable information I have encountered in this race amid all the static thus far. Thanks.
    I'm exactly 5 houses from being in said district so these characters buzz around here a lot. I get the impression Banks campaigned hard, though. We've never seen such a showing of yard signs in the northern half of East English Village [[his district), and at the nicer homes, too.
    He'll win, I just hope he truly is reformed...and can speak truth to power...

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    there's a difference between felons and republicans?
    RepublicanOffenders.com

The for-profit, private-sector prison industry could sustain themselves by arresting themselves.

State House Candidate Brian Banks Evicted from Harper Woods Homes

http://grossepointe.patch.com/articl...er-woods-homes

Wow. Old habits die hard. I guess he wants to get his hands on some of that federal money to play around with.

No worries, he is supported by Matty Moroun:

http://miboecfr.nictusa.com/cgi-bin/...er%3Dcf_online

It's happened before so I wouldn't doubt it'll happen again.

'Supported' might be the wrong term..."in evil collusion with" might be the better operative!

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Didn't this happen?

I seem to recall this passed by a large margin.

How is he even running as "Banks is an eight-time felon who has been convicted of passing bad checks and credit card fraud from 1998 to 2004" in his background?
    Haven't you read the original article? He's rehabilitated himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Well then its OK.

Sickens me that the public loves this 'I was bad, but I found Jesus' crapolo.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    My bad.. I did not read the article fully. the frauds only count as a bar if they were commited while in office

But, dear Wesley, if you close the door on anyone who has ever actually made a mistake [[not saying HIS offenses were, but not all bounced checks are on purpose) you create a group of liar-remnants. Nobody is perfect. There has to be at least some availability for rehabilitation, or you might as well just kill anyone who ever breaks any law. Seems that is what they're worth to ya.

"you might as well just kill anyone who ever breaks any law."

Hmmmmmmm, interesting proposition.......

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    But, dear Wesley, if you close the door on anyone who has ever actually made a mistake [[not saying HIS offenses were, but not all bounced checks are on purpose) you create a group of liar-remnants. Nobody is perfect. There has to be at least some availability for rehabilitation, or you might as well just kill anyone who ever breaks any law. Seems that is what they're worth to ya.
    One bounced check? ok... One bit of CC fraud 15 years ago when you were young and dumb. Ok. EIGHT felonies for the same offense!?! and another check fraud WHILE RUNNING FOR OFFICE!?!?

Eight CONVICTIONS + one current charge is one heck of a slow learner.

I hope my sarcasm detector was just broken and you weren't serious.

One bounced check? ok... One bit of CC fraud 15 years ago when you were young and dumb. Ok. EIGHT felonies for the same offense!?! and another check fraud WHILE RUNNING FOR OFFICE!?!?

I posted the SAME thoughts when this story first came out and caught hell. There's "making a mistake", then there's habitual.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    My most dear Gannon, I agree with you completely. [[I did see 'Some Like It Hot' -- so I understand.)

I quite do believe in redemption. And in forgiveness. That doesn't mean I trust every claim of rehabilitation made by self-serving fools seeking power.

I'd rather a few criminals go free. But we have enough good, qualified citizens in the world to hold elective office without taking risks on charlatans.

Today, it seems that the PR cookbook says that no matter what happens, all you have to do is 'accept responsibility' for your errors, and poof -- the public will forgive. I will forgive. But its not enough to 'accept responsibility' and repent for your crimes. If you're a criminal and you want to impress me on your redemption, go work for the Capuchin Soup Kitchen for a couple of years. Do something impressive to show that your 'redemption' is true. I'm really tired of these hallow claims of rehabilitation. End of rant.

"But your Honor, I CAN'T be overdrawn, I still have checks left"

No sarcasm, you just missed the disclaimer. I was pining for leniency for those who may have earned and/or deserved it.

I do not say this particular person is worthy of it. Heck, half the population sucks at handling money...many, many years ago I started a thread to see if it could be licensed! I'm sure Jimaz can find that in the archives...heh.

The priors MAY be excusible, but only if he'd learned. But it is apparent he has not. That doesn't eliminate the possibility for others to gain leniency, though, THAT was what I was arguing.

Cheers!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast