Detroit the land of plenty to do

There is so much to do in Detroit. I mean we have a number of events that are great. There is always something to do, even in the winter. True as a result of economic times some producers are starting to charge, but still many are free. And, they attract hundreds to thousands of attendees, with some getting national and even international exposure. Here's a condensed list of what I'm talking about and I apologize to any producer, if I miss some event for this is not intended to be an advertisement.

Our larger events that attract thousands, include, a thanksgiving day parade which is one of the oldest and probably the second largest behind NYC's Macy Day parade, the hydroplane boat races that happen on the Detroit river is an internationally known event and attracts over 100,000 people, the Detroit sports car race held on Belle Isle which also is an internationally recognized event and nationally televised, Detroit's Canadian international fireworks which is probably the only of its kind being shared by two countries and then the international "Detroit Jazz Festival" which is the largest jazz festival in the country with over 4 stages and the some of the most noted names in jazz and the Electronic Music Festival attracts thousands with many international visitors, and it highlights Detroit as the founding city of electronic music.

Then more locally recognized is the "Winterblast" festival that happens in our Campus Martius park and there are heated tents to stage performances and bomb fires scattered throughout the area, "Noel Night" in the midtown section of the city which happens weeks before Christmas to get you in the holiday spirit, its like an open house for the area's bars, restaurants, arts galleries, museums and more, "Riverdays" festival which happens along the riverfront, the "Dally in the Alley" which is a festival that is held in an alley and along several streets I would say its like a modern day hippie fest, the "Jazzin on Jefferson" which highlights the business community on the east side of Detroit and "The Detroit Design Festival" which highlights our arts community with over 70 galleries and hundreds of installations being on exhibit.

You got the number of other events that attract hundreds such as the St. Patrick's Day parade, opening day for the Detroit Tigers, the Labor Day parade, Cinco De Mayo Day with activities in Mexican Village, Flower Day in Eastern Market, and the Hoe Down for the country music lovers.

Now, I didn't list the many free neighborhoods festivals or events that happen along the riverfront or in parks throughout the city, block clubs parties, free live music performances like the lunch concerts in Campus Martius Park, and so much more. So when you add these events, it's no doubt that Detroit is jumping all the time.

I know about these events because I have attended each one over the years, since I like hanging out.

Anthony Brogdon
Producer
"The Great Detroit? It was-It is-It will be".
For more information, www.strongdetroit.net and our funding campaign,www.indiegogo.com/thegreatdetroit.