Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

MIRepublic Guest

Default Compuware Building may be home to grocery store

Anyone see this? Sounds cautiously promising:

Compuware Building may be home to grocery store

By JOHN GALLAGHER • FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER • June 25, 2009

Downtown Detroit workers and residents may soon have a new place to shop for fresh groceries in the heart of downtown.

The Eastern Market Corp., the nonprofit entity that operates the city-owned Eastern Market, is exploring the idea of opening a small grocery store offering fresh fruits and vegetables and prepared foods in the space previously occupied by a Borders Books in the Compuware Building.Dan Carmody, president of the Eastern Market Corp., said a decision will be made by mid-July or so whether to go ahead with the plan.

I would think with all the folks living in the downtown area that it could be a profitable little venture. It gives the residents somewhere to shop when Eastern Market is closed for those food essentials.

well, since it's two essentially non profits if they can cover monthly costs and the daily "shrink" if they open the Woodward Avenue doors...[[you had to enter Borders from the "grand" lobby as they shuttered Woodward ave shortly after opening, even with a security guard in evidence) they might be able to make it and like the late lamented Zacarro's Market if they lock the bathrooms, thus preventing the consumption of unpurchased rotisserie chickens in said bathrooms. Before anyone goes off on me for the above...both statements are true. Borders shrink was extremely high and Zacarro's kept finding remains of eaten chickens in the johns so they called one of the area locksmiths and had keyed tumblers installed. Part of oing business.

Lets hope they validate parking in the Compuware garage...

Default ...Compuware's new food market could hire Sen. Craig

To avoid people eating unpaid for food in the bathrooms, they should consider hiring Sen. Larry Craig...
    Last edited by DetroitPetanque; June-26-09 at 10:06 AM.

what if they paid for the bathrooms?

The guard at the desk has the key to the restrooms. I know the current businesses in the building validate parking. I guess we'll find out if/when the new store actually opens.

Great news. Having a grocery store stocked with locally farmed produce from Eastern Market is much cooler than some big national chain store [[although we do need those too).

DetroitDad Guest

Excellent news!

By the way, there is a brand new fresh cut deli that just opened on Washington Boulevard Downtown, near the new transit center. I think it might be near State Street.