Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Duggan and McNamara...need info

Can anyone provide me with info on the ties between Duggan and McNamara and the corruption under that administration? I was too young and unaware of what was going on during that time and I'd like to do some digging on this so I can decide whether or not Duggan is the right guy for Mayor. Thanks.

I don't know if you believe everthing you read but you can start with this article: Wayne County Cronyism Can be Traced to Duggan and McNamara

http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/artic.../1346792625000

That link ends up linking to a Detroit News article that's no longer there.

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    That link ends up linking to a Detroit News article that's no longer there.

The News had a few great articles comprehensively covering the McNamara regime, I remember finding one about how he actively courted the Cheeks and Kilpatrick families in the city to help secure the inner-city vote.

There was an article which basically said Duggan was the scariest of the remaining legacy, because he has been able to keep relatively clean in the public record. But one of those older News articles called him McNamara's heavy, his enforcer. The closer of deals.

I wish I'd have paid more attention to his time at the Medical Center. There was a great deal of money flying around there for a while.

Not excited to hear his name flown about for a potential Bing replacement.

I knew of McNamara, but wasn't aware of the dirtiness surrounding him, and I left in the mid 90s before a lot of this hit the fan.

I can say one thing for certain though. I would never even consider voting for anyone who is even remotely associated with King Kwame'. So, if Duggan can be tied into that mess in any way, he's out in my book.

Allegedly Duggan didn't like what he was seeing with McNammara and walked away even though he was the heir apparent to take over for Ed. You have to agree that Duggan could have stayed put and been King of the Kounty, but he took over a struggling DMC and worked some big magic there.

I don't know if I like this guy or not, but he left a cushy job and took a leap. That takes some brass.

So you'd get a guy with non-profit experience, turn-around experience and governmental experience. That is a strong hand. Could help to reach across the 8-Mile divide, could be a new face when going to Lansing, could encourage new people to move to the City.

He doesn't stand a chance.

I want to like the guy because he seems like a real ass-kicker that gets things done. The question I keep asking myself is how is he getting things done? Legally? MOSTLY legally? Illegally? Uhhhh that's the trick. I just don't know. He may not stand a chance. Right now he's only forming a committee but I think he'll run anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    Right now he's only forming a committee but I think he'll run anyway.
    He bought a house in the city. He's running. [[Which is more than you can say for Bing when he ran.)