Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ccbatson Guest

Default The Axis of Evil, where are they now?

Anyone else notice that the much maligned GWB speech labeling N. Korea, Iran, and Iraq as the axis of evil was a spot on analysis?

Iraq? defeated in war after invading Kuwait, bombing Israel, sponsoring terrorism, and violating terms of a cease fire.

Iran? Racing to develop nuclear weapons, rigging elections, killing it's citizens, had enough?

North Korea? Ferrying materials for nuclear missiles, firing missiles in our direction, threatening nuclear war.

Apparently GWB knew what he was talking about.

1. David Frum created the phrase, not Bush.
    2. The phrase was inaccurate. None of those countries have every been allies.
    3. They were already doing those things you mentioned.

It definently doesn't fit Merriam-Webster's "partnership, alliance", but it could fit "a point or continuum on which something centers <an axis of social power>" or "a main line of direction, motion, growth, or extension". http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/axis

"You bring me the pictures and I'll bring you the war"- William Randolph Hearst

ccbatson Guest

Took the bait I see, thanks MJS. I knew someone would turn logic upside down and blame these developments on the label.

It carries weight when the President says it, not when David Frum does.

Korea has been, and is [[in Iran's case) the peddler of black market nuclear technologies to anyone with a big enough checkbook, INCLUDING Iran, and formerly Iraq....Not allies?

Lorax Guest

I'll tell you where the "axis of evil" is now, it's where it's always been-

RNC
    EIB
    Fox

ccbatson Guest

Don't quit your day job to become a comedian, even for "The Daily Show" Lorax.

Lorax Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    Don't quit your day job to become a comedian, even for "The Daily Show" Lorax.
    Not to worry, I had my eye on your job, but I couldn't find three wise men or a virgin.

ccbatson Guest

Complement accepted...but you still won't make it as a comedian.

Lorax Guest

As if I was trying.

You could, though- everything you've posted has a ring of hilarity to it!

Anyone else notice that the much maligned GWB speech labeling N. Korea, Iran, and Iraq as the axis of evil was a spot on analysis?

Iraq? defeated in war after invading Kuwait, bombing Israel, sponsoring terrorism, and violating terms of a cease fire.

Iran? Racing to develop nuclear weapons, rigging elections, killing it's citizens, had enough?

North Korea? Ferrying materials for nuclear missiles, firing missiles in our direction, threatening nuclear war.

there has always been evil countries ..and no one disputes who they can be...it is how you deal with the countries that many disagree with...

Our country neeeds leadership ..vs name calling...and thank G-D we have it now..

Aside from all that insignificant stuff about Iraq having WMDs and ties to Al Qaeda. But other than that trivial stuff, he was batting 1.000

And you can't tell someone that you are going to kick their butt and not expect them to arm themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by WolverinesA2 View Post
    Aside from all that insignificant stuff about Iraq having WMDs and ties to Al Qaeda. But other than that trivial stuff, he was batting 1.000

Why do nations like Iran want to develop Nuke weapons in the first place? Who else has those arms in the neighborhood? Why does India and Pakistan have a Nuke Race? No dialog = arms race...dialog = decreased arms race... or at least an understanding about mutual destruction..Russia and China and USA

ccbatson Guest

The dialog never stopped a nation intent on getting nukes, and it never will.

Complement accepted...but you still won't make it as a comedian.

Personally I'd think a doctor would know how to spell a simple word like that

Quote Originally Posted by gibran View Post
    Why do nations like Iran want to develop Nuke weapons in the first place? Who else has those arms in the neighborhood? Why does India and Pakistan have a Nuke Race? No dialog = arms race...dialog = decreased arms race... or at least an understanding about mutual destruction..Russia and China and USA
    I believe the term is "strengthening their sphere of influence".

Lorax Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    Personally I'd think a doctor would know how to spell a simple word like that
    Didn't you know, Batts is really Doctor Detroit.

The dialog never stopped a nation intent on getting nukes, and it never will.
    Hmmmmm, sounds like Israel....

ccbatson Guest

Correct, thank G-d they aren't islamic terrorists, or Korean communists. Oh, did you miss that little detail Jams?

Took the bait I see, thanks MJS.
    Admitting that you are baiting?

I guess one thing I never understood about the Axis of Evil here is why did W have to call them out by name? What purpose did that serve other than to irritate them? I'm sure they already knew that the US weren't their friends. Wasn't there some other more tactful way of calling someone out than pointing such a pointed finger at them? Isn't that just bad decorum from a political standing?

ccbatson Guest

Classified information likely informed him of what we are now beginning to realize.

Classified information likely informed him of what we are now beginning to realize.
    Or, maybe they are trying to arm themselves now in preparation for what they feel may be an immediate attack by the U.S.

Its kind of like in high school, if you suspected a bigger kid was going to kick your butt, you'd probably try to get somebody who was stronger then them to help you beat them up. Some may even bring a weapon to help equalize the fight.

Please explain how the Obama administration is a bigger threat than the previous eleven administrations? If there was ever a time for them to negotiate peace, its now. If they did, I bet Obama would gladly borrow money from the Chinese to feed every last North Korean until they are as fat as us. Officially, we have been in a military action with them for over 50 years. They initiated a major invasion and they still have the fifth largest army in the world because they won't back down from their desire to conquer the sovereign nation of South Korea. They launched a missile over Japan, a nation that has already kicked their ass, and they have been repeatedly censured by the UN. They have repeatedly broken peace treaties and they are the ones threatening other nations including the United States of America. Its not us versus them; its them versus most of the world.
    Last edited by mjs; June-29-09 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mjs View Post
    Do you really hate America so much that you would side with a dictator that starves his own people so he can continue to threaten other nations?
    Take it easy Skippy.

I was only offering speculation on why North Korea is acting this way. You toss out that I hate America just like those heroes of yours on AM radio without any rational thought.

Obviously you didn't comprehend anything that I said, otherwise you wouldn't have thrown out the personal attack. Take a deep breath and count to ten. Then you might want to rethink you baseless accusations against me.

Some people here are so blinded by propaganda from the Rushie's of the world that they fail to understand what they read.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast