Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Milner Closing

Default Milner Closing

It seems The Milner Hotel is closing by the end of Oct. and being converted into apartments. Many of the long time residents are moving out slowly and the greasy spoon that was Mikes with the fresh squeezed kool aid is already vacant. Has anyone heard anything?

What exactly is fresh squeezed Kool Aid...
    Last edited by MidTownMs; September-24-12 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    What exactly is freshed squeezed Kool Aid...
    Maybe it is when you hug the pitcher?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Maybe it is when you hug the pitcher?
    Perhaps...I always put fresh squeezed lemons in my Kool Aid...

Perhaps...I always put fresh squeezed lemons in my Kool Aid...
    You must be a lemonade or fruit punch only gal! I can recall being a kid and mom once tried to switch to Wylers' Kool Aid knock off. One of the flavors was cola. Yes it tasted like flat Pepsi.

Perhaps freshly 'stirred'.... LOL!

What exactly is fresh squeezed Kool Aid...

kool aid at mikes
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Until I saw the pic I thought someone was making this up. Now I want to know just what the heck is fresh squeezed Kool Aid lol??

Quote Originally Posted by tarkus View Post
    It seems The Milner Hotel is closing by the end of Oct. and being converted into apartments. Many of the long time residents are moving out slowly and the greasy spoon that was Mikes with the fresh squeezed kool aid is already vacant. Has anyone heard anything?
    Who is converting it into apartments? [[And thank god. The occupancy rate downtown in 96% according to Mlive.)

Quote Originally Posted by Flintoid View Post
    Who is converting it into apartments? [[And thank god. The occupancy rate downtown in 96% according to Mlive.)
    Assuming the conversion is a success this is definitely good news in my book. We have much more demand for housing downtown right now than hotels. This will help people move downtown, theoretically lower rents in the long-term, and help other hotels increase their room usage.

kool aid at mikes
    Did you take that pitcher?

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    Assuming the conversion is a success this is definitely good news in my book. We have much more demand for housing downtown right now than hotels. This will help people move downtown, theoretically lower rents in the long-term, and help other hotels increase their room usage.
    True all around. However, I hope it doesn't take 10 years, and involve lots of kickbacks and tax incentives, only to see it never happen.....

The Milner Hotel is a building that's really unique and needs to be occupied for the sake of Broadway and Harmonie Park

Just out of curiosity I tried to make a reservation. The hotel's website isn't taking them anymore. "No rooms available" for dates from next week into December.

Milner does manage an apartment building in Detroit, The Milner Arms originally built as an apartment hotel, The Hotel Stevenson. I don't know anything about it's reputation or how long Milner has manged the property, but what few reviews I can find, they seem to know what they're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    You must be a lemonade or fruit punch only gal! I can recall being a kid and mom once tried to switch to Wylers' Kool Aid knock off. One of the flavors was cola. Yes it tasted like flat Pepsi.
    The only flavor I remember as a kid is strawberry which we always put lemons in. I think there was also orange and grape. I don't remember fruit punch or lemonade.

http://detroit.milner-hotels.com/

Look at picture slideshow... some suites already have kitchens....

Was oldest continuously operating hotel in Detroit [[since 1917).

Was still run by the Milner family.

Was one of the last 4 Milner Hotels left [[Boston, Los Angeles and Raleigh).

.... and everyone stop drinking the Kool-Aid!!
    Last edited by Gistok; September-24-12 at 10:31 PM.

This would make an excellent apartment building [[renovated of course). But some of those rooms looks pretty good

yes i took the pic a couple of months ago

yes i took the pic a couple of months ago

LOL No the pitcher!

Deadline Detroit has a story about the Milner, and credits DY.

http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/artic...nts_and_condos

What about the squeezed Kool-Aid, damnit!

This is supposed to be a "reference source" for the conversion of the Milner, Detroit's oldest continuing operating hotel... and all you folks do is leave readers spellbound with Kool-Aid recipes....

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    This is supposed to be a "reference source" for the conversion of the Milner, Detroit's oldest continuing operating hotel... and all you folks do is leave readers spellbound with Kool-Aid recipes....

IMO its not much of a story. There is a more need for Condos and Apartments downtown then 2nd rate hotel rooms. While the Milner is a classic building it does not compare to a modern hotel in terms of what it is able to offer to conventions. I see this as a success. Much of the last decade we have opened a lot of hotel rooms in the CBD with more online. We don't need the hotel space, but apartments we need in order to keep people working, living, and shopping in the CBD.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post

We were just trying to interject a little humour...lighten-up already....

We were just trying to interject a little humour...lighten-up already....
    You bet I'm mad... no one even gave a recipe or enough specifics about the beverage!!

i didnt know it was still operating as a hotel or i would have stayed there just to say i stayed there...

ive been at the renovated Book, Holiday Inn Express and the Double Tree Hilton [[Shelby?)...

dang. i guess i missed out...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast