Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

The entire debate here focuses on the liabilities. It should be about assets.

Instead, we're debating about the cost of border guards and freeway ramps. How silly. We build freeway ramps daily all over the place. Its not a cost, its an asset.

You build assets to enable your residents to create wealth. If we don't -- then someone else will. We behave as if its our right to be the busiest border crossing between our countries. If we continue to right over silly shit like we are, someone else will find a way to enable trade somewhere else. And we'll be watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    Also check out this and check out what matty is already doing up in Niagra , it's in the comment section .
    http://michiganradio.org/post/bridgi...o-pays-part-2\
    I didn't know he was also trying to build a bridge there. Does anybody have more info on this? Will this compete with other existing bridges?

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    I didn't know he was also trying to build a bridge there. Does anybody have more info on this? Will this compete with other existing bridges?
    He's trying to build a bridge between Fort Erie and Buffalo for commercial trucks only. And yes, it would take that traffic from the Peace Bridge.

And this sounds familiar, he wants to start it without any of the necessary approvals. I've read some reports that Moroun n Co. were claiming they had all the land necessary but some of the landowners involved said they had not even talked to anyone, let alone received an offer for their land.

Irate mayor slams bridge group; Ambassador Group's plan 'seriously flawed'
    http://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/200...riously-flawed

U.S. denies permit to Ambassador Group
    http://www.forterietimes.ca/2008/09/...bassador-group

Also worth noting that the Peace Bridge has an exclusive franchise under Canadian law as the only ones that can operate a bridge over the Niagara River within 6 miles of the existing Peace Bridge. Moroun n Co. have been trying to challenge that as well but have been repeatedly defeated so far.
    Last edited by yupislyr; September-26-12 at 02:05 PM.

^^ Ironic, isn't it? Ambassador Group upsets Peace.

There have been so many complaints and so much debate on the train depot over the years. I am puzzled why the City of Detroit has never mandated its demolition [[well I guess I do know why). The Moroun Monstrosity has absolutely outlived its use. It stands as the icon of a billionaire's failed dream to own a monopoly of two bridges plus an entire section of town. The depot would have been great to refurbish at one time. But every day the City of Detroit allows that to continue to stand, it illustrates the disdainful hold that this guy still maintains over this area.

Quote Originally Posted by paddlebobb View Post
    There have been so many complaints and so much debate on the train depot over the years. I am puzzled why the City of Detroit has never mandated its demolition
    Yeah, just like that scuzzy Book Cadillac Hotel that had outlived it's use, too.

We should be grateful he didn't own the Book Cadillac , we see how he treats the properties he own.

The title of this thread fascinates me. Here, let me see if I've captured the essence of it with a couple of my own:

Detroit River, please stop being wet and flowing toward Lake Erie! Pope, please stop being Catholic! October, please stop coming right after September!

How was that? Am I in the right ZIP code?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5