Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Ford Motor Company smoking dope?

2013 Mustang GT convertible with an automatic,,,

$39,900? seriously?

it had $4,000 something in options [[rims, pedestal rear spoiler, convertible top convenience group)...

sticker SHOCK at $44,000+

it is a nice car by all counts but jeez is it pricey....

The Big Three have always had the philosophy that when you sell sex instead of transportation you can increase the markup.

GUSHI Guest

Camaro nicer,

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    The Big Three have always had the philosophy that when you sell sex instead of transportation you can increase the markup.
    Or big boy toys aka full size SUV's and trucks. I remember when a pick up was good transportation and cheaper than cars. Not no more..

I'm guessing I could buy that Mustang for about 37,500. That's 12,500 more than in 1995. Inflation ya know....

find another convertible with that performance for less. The Camaro SS is essentially the same price [[maybe 1K more with the auto, the optional rims start
    at $4700)

I'd spend and extra $5K and get the Boss 302 Laguna Seca

Who would want a Mustang with an automatic transmission?

Quote Originally Posted by scottn55 View Post
    Same person who would want a V6 Mustang.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Same person who would want a V6 Mustang.
    What?! I can get a new base V6 for twenty grand. Automatic adds another grand to the price.

There's nothing else out there that offers that much bang for the buck and at the price of a regular DD. And back in January when I last checked, Ford credit was offering 100% financing at 0%. If I bought a Boss or Cobra, I'd have to garage it half the year and use a second car or truck in the winter because I'd be scared to get salt on it. What's your DD?

Quote Originally Posted by Ltdave View Post
    2013 Mustang GT convertible with an automatic,,,

$39,900? seriously?

it had $4,000 something in options [[rims, pedestal rear spoiler, convertible top convenience group)...

sticker SHOCK at $44,000+

it is a nice car by all counts but jeez is it pricey....
    To put this in perspective, the higher number is about what my house is worth.

Sorry, I'll take the house and my 22 year old car. Big 3, you so stupid.

Not too many 25 yr. olds buying muscle cars anymore. The Big 3 finally realized the profit is in selling half the number of these fully loaded beasts to baby boomers and those guys having their mid-life crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Not too many 25 yr. olds buying muscle cars anymore. The Big 3 finally realized the profit is in selling half the number of these fully loaded beasts to baby boomers and those guys having their mid-life crisis.
    I second your motion.

Demographics are showing that most youngsters are not getting their drivers license until much later. It ain't the 1960's anymore and most youngsters don't make the kind of money it takes to buy a new Kia or Fiat 500 let alone a car loaded with horsepower and a convertible top.

Like it or not to many in this demographic are not able to afford all of the entrapments that they find necessary [[smart phones, ipads, laptops, cable) that those in the 1960's did not even think about. Add to this the cost of a new car, it means they go upmarket and compete with the high end Buicks.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I second your motion.

Demographics are showing that most youngsters are not getting their drivers license until much later. It ain't the 1960's anymore and most youngsters don't make the kind of money it takes to buy a new Kia or Fiat 500 let alone a car loaded with horsepower and a convertible top.

Like it or not to many in this demographic are not able to afford all of the entrapments that they find necessary [[smart phones, ipads, laptops, cable) that those in the 1960's did not even think about. Add to this the cost of a new car, it means they go upmarket and compete with the high end Buicks.
    Not to mention many young folks nowadays don't find any cars appealing at all, and ironically find good mass transit sexier. Wouldn't count on it being a passing fad, either...

Sounds like a very high line version. Probably slower than the plainer but lighter and more fun to drive 6 speed coupe with the 5.0 V8 which can be had for $29k out the door all over.
    Its a Mustang V8, who really needs a drop top, a factory sat/nav and mood lighting ?

Boss 302 is probably north of 45 grand with ADM's, Laguna Seca Boss 302, outta sight $.
    Of course you can get a bad ass 3-5 year old Shelby GT500 with 10-20k miles for 30-40 grand, that is THEE high line Mustang and really the only one worth owning. Having a factory supercharged Stang myself I may be a bit biased.

I guess you can always get a KIA for 20 or 30 grand.

Shollin Guest

People do realize this is a niche car and Ford isn't going to producing as many of these as say the Focus or Fusion?

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Not to mention many young folks nowadays don't find any cars appealing at all, and ironically find good mass transit sexier. Wouldn't count on it being a passing fad, either...
    A bus is not quite the chick magnet that a Mustang drop top would be. Could it be that there is a causal realationship that more youngsters are going for bikes and the bus because they can't aford the car and all them fancy gadgets?

'Way back when, we couldn't afford them either. That's why Baby Boomers are hot for them now.

We drove things like, ooh, '53 Chevys, '60 Nash Ramblers, humongous old Chryslers, things you could buy for a couple hundred dollars and still afford plates and insurance, and gas to get around. We just drooled over the Vettes, the T-Birds, the Mustangs...

With a lot of younger urban professional and creative class folks nowadays, you almost have to be apologetic about having a car, especially if you have one that's more than basic transit, to the effect that a cab is sexier than a Mustang drop top.

An F-Body, on the other hand....

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    A bus is not quite the chick magnet that a Mustang drop top would be. Could it be that there is a causal realationship that more youngsters are going for bikes and the bus because they can't aford the car and all them fancy gadgets?
    You indeed conjur an image of DDOT, with all its clankety, fart-smellin', late-runnin' action. However when you're a young person in Portland or Seattle and you can smugly sip your latte and say you don't own a car because of your concern for the environment, well, you're not going to have a problem getting some action of your own. I don't think a nice car has as much sex appeal as a nice loft [[or any living space deemable to be hip, really) or hanging out at fashionable places.

I'm probably somewhere in the middle, along with millions of other young-ish people. Cars are very convenient to have, awful to have to rely on for everything, and generally a pain in the ass with gas and repairs.

However: women still love guys with motorcycles. Never forget that.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    You indeed conjur an image of DDOT, with all its clankety, fart-smellin', late-runnin' action. However when you're a young person in Portland or Seattle and you can smugly sip your latte and say you don't own a car because of your concern for the environment, well, you're not going to have a problem getting some action of your own. I don't think a nice car has as much sex appeal as a nice loft [[or any living space deemable to be hip, really) or hanging out at fashionable places.

I'm probably somewhere in the middle, along with millions of other young-ish people. Cars are very convenient to have, awful to have to rely on for everything, and generally a pain in the ass with gas and repairs.

However: women still love guys with motorcycles. Never forget that.
    I think there was a generational shift at some point recently where a "cool car" wasn't really important to younger people, male or female. At least not as much as to generations prior.

I've never noticed much interest in cars with people I know in the "more educated" crowd. Maybe some people like a nice Mercedes or BMW or something. Never any interest in a Mustang or Camaro or something like that. Most interest in those were from people who became mechanics or worked more "manual labor" type of jobs.

And there's certainly nothing wrong with that. My cousin, who is a DPW supervisor, really loves his late 90s Mustang. Seems to really enjoy keeping it immaculate and cruising on weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Elephant Parts!!!!!!!!

Don Hiddioso's [[Bill Martin aka William E. Martin, songwriter [[Nilsson's Rainmaker) screenwriter [[harry & the hendersons, 3rd rock from the sun) bit is now applicable to the Republican Party
    Last edited by rb336; September-24-12 at 01:33 PM.

I must admit driving a Mustang as a stick would be better [[I drove sticks for 16 years)... but then you do get tired of shifting and well....

Quote Originally Posted by scottn55 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    'Way back when, we couldn't afford them either. That's why Baby Boomers are hot for them now.

We drove things like, ooh, '53 Chevys, '60 Nash Ramblers, humongous old Chryslers, things you could buy for a couple hundred dollars and still afford plates and insurance, and gas to get around. We just drooled over the Vettes, the T-Birds, the Mustangs...
    I drove a 1953 Hudson Jet.

The true hooptie of my high school years that some of my friends had was the 1949-1951 Kaiser. They would be totally rusted out with one foot holes in the side panels, but the little Continental engines in them just ran and ran. You could buy one for about $99.00 and get liability insurance on them for $50.00 a year.
    Last edited by Hermod; September-24-12 at 01:46 PM.

First of all I personally think it meant for us OLD guys....like me, we have had our days with sticks and a base Corvette is $49600 so a Mustang is a deal....I've had my younger days driving a stick and I'm old, the knees can't take the shifting and I still love a sports car which is why I just bought this 2000 Corvette....with an Automatic. So I think that is the demographic they are trying to get. Go to any car show....all you see is us old guys and our cars.....but we love it.

Name:  IMG_5205RSM.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  61.0 KB
    Last edited by Searay215; September-24-12 at 02:28 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast