Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Imagine All The People...In Detroit!!!

Imagine, If All Detroit's Rich and Famous Came Home

This thread was inspired by a comment I left in the Fisher Mansion thread.

Take a second to think about all the famous persons to have called Detroit home, if everyone alive or their descendent's came back home to Detroit and:

1. Restored and lived in their ancestor's home.
    2. Restored and lived in their childhood home.
    3. Moved back home to Detroit and made the city their major residence.

Imagine for a second, if all the heir's of Detroit's storied, rich, money past bought their ancestor's homes, and mansions, and moved in, while restoring them to their former grandaur...

Imagine then, if all former Detroiter's followed this lead and bought, moved to, and restored their childhood homes... Detroit would see a Renascence unlike any other American city...

Then, all the middle and working class folks could follow, and take the same leads, Detroit could see a rebound in it's population, and a true rennisanse...

All it takes is for family members of Detroit's "old money" to come back home...

One can dream, can't they?

NO I recently moved from Los Angles , too corporate and expensive now ,it's changed so much , it use to be fun,cool and hip when I was a kid from the 1970's-2000, now it's just a really expensive Disneyland for REALLY rich people
    However in my years of living in LA most of the coolest people I met were from Michigan or Windsor , go figure ?
    A couple well known people from the D are also in NYC,, it seems a lot of people left because they felt their talent would grow in LA or NYC , heck even Chicago. these cities invite talent, Michigan needs to be a lot more inviting !

No, have them move to Chicago or Atlanta , which everyone seems to think is the best place on earth.

For the record I've been to all those cities ,LA and NYC were more inviting , Chicago and Atlanta were only ok . I still have VERY good friend and family trying to get me to move to Atlanta, but I just don't think it's worth it ?
    If NYC wasn't so expensive I would def do that ! not Chicago though, Chicago just never seemed me ? If I'm going to live in a BIG city I'm going big !

I'm not rich or famous, but what if I did buy my parents' first house that they bought brand new from the builder in 1946? It is empty and falling apart now in Brightmoor, on Lyndon. All my fond memories of that house have to do with the neighborhood and the neighbors, not the house itself. My Dad built shelves in the kitchen, put up the fence around the back yard, tiled the kitchen, finished the attic. A little kid just takes that stuff for granted. Now I think, wow! He was amazing!

I wonder if it would help if we did buy and spruce up the place, or would Brightmoor just continue to spiral down, down, down to its pre-war state. There were some pretty old sidewalks on DaCosta and Dolphin, 1910s if I recall rightly.

I'm imagining a world in which we stop fetishizing rich people and celebrities and start figuring out how to effectively advocate for our own interests. Then again, my dream is probably less realistic than yours.

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    I'm imagining a world in which we stop fetishizing rich people and celebrities and start figuring out how to effectively advocate for our own interests. Then again, my dream is probably less realistic than yours.
    The wonderful thing about Detroit in its heyday was that it was a city of working-class people whose dreams came true. They could own that modest house. They could put their kids through public school. They could save. The unions were strong. Public services were good to excellent.

And the people in charge of this society have made it their duty to ensure that this never, ever happens again.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    The wonderful thing about Detroit in its heyday was that it was a city of working-class people whose dreams came true. They could own that modest house. They could put their kids through public school. They could save. The unions were strong. Public services were good to excellent.

And the people in charge of this society have made it their duty to ensure that this never, ever happens again.
    And that is exactly why so many Detroiters have thrown in the towel, cut their losses, and took their dreams of a better life elswhere.