Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Eastside Invasion Team One Caught on DjangoCam

So, we were driving westbound on Mack near rush hour, just past St. Jean, when we spot this old bus parked in the party store lot. Nothing too odd about that, except it seemed everyone was getting out.

Strange tour group. Wondered if they were having engine trouble, until I noticed the fellow in the front was actually blowing one of those old Ram's horn trumpets, which I believe is called a shofar. [[just learned through google that they can be had on sale for only $21.99!)

Funny to hear Django in my head still, "What the hell is that NOISE?!"

We were in the right lane, and as I continued my casual gazing, one of the city's finest [[and I'm not talking officers of the law, I'm being sarcastic) passed us on the right, blowing by almost sideswiping us and taking Django's arm off. But I digress.

I realized what we were seeing. It was a small ragtag Christian group on some form of spiritual mission. They were opening their ceremony with the shofar, while two of the women carried a purple banner with a huge gold crown embossed upon it.

I had to turn around so Django could get some pictures.

Name:  Invasion Three Detroit from Django.jpeg
Views: 867
Size:  33.9 KB
    Name:  Invasion Two Detroit from Django.jpeg
Views: 881
Size:  34.3 KB
    Name:  Invasion One Detroit from Django.jpeg
Views: 813
Size:  32.6 KB

License plate was from Minnesota, but the front destination board read Battle Creek.

The engine compartment was open, so they might've been having engine trouble, too. But the whole banner/parade thing was sorta strange to see.

I'm wondering if Danny is one of their scouts, I've seen him east of here...

Cheers!
    Last edited by Gannon; September-19-12 at 08:26 PM.

Jews blow the Shofar for the Jewish New Year which began on the 16th. Could have something to do with that.

I think it is more some independent primitive Christian group...I am not aware of any Jewish group which uses the Crown imagery. They are usually a bit more...homogenous...than this one, too. Only some evangelical groups would stage a spiritual invasion like this...and of those, usually the independents.

If they were mainline evangelical or Catholic, they'd have had a better bus.

Ha! Reminds of the last episode of Weeds with Doug's new religion that he founded!

The Shofar is traditionally played during the month of Elul, which is the last month in the Hebrew calendar, and during the first ten days of the Hebrew year [[the days between Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur). A person should hear 100 blasts from the shofar on each day of Rosh HaShana.
    We blow the shofar to show that we accept God as our king, as it says in Tehillim [[Psalms) 98:6, "With trumpets and the sound of the shofar make a call out before the King, God".

Thanks Kenp.

I am aware of some fringe Christian groups which take every word in the commonly-accepted scripture as instruction for worship, praise, and general living. Excepting the part where Jesus said things were different in this age, of course.

But I'm sure some of them had buttons on their clothing...

Curious.

Quote Originally Posted by adamjab19 View Post
    Ha! Reminds of the last episode of Weeds with Doug's new religion that he founded!
    It felt decidedly Cult-like, adamjab. That's why I didn't approach them with our questions. Told Django I wasn't ready for a scriptural trivia contest!

Cheers

I think Battle Creek is the home of the Seventh Day Adventists. Perhaps some pilgrimage was going on.

Gannon-
    They look pretty dangerous, good thing you didn't speak to them, and actually learn what they were up to...they might have used that horn on you.