Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: film, Detropia

Default film, Detropia

Any comments from those who have seen the film?
    I plan to see it this weekend at the Main Art in Royal Oak.

http://www.detropiathefilm.com/video.html

The trailer is beautifully photographed, and the sound is gorgeous.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...N03/209140319/

^^^ a review of the doc. also links to interview with homegirl who made it. and, an interview with Crystal Starr who figures prominently in the story.
    like they used to say: "If you read The News, you know!" Still true. esp compared to FP.

I have seen the movie. I like the producer film the artistic representation of the ghettohoods of Detroit. The junxtaposition from the Detroit Opera House and the Old Cass Tech High School Auditorium implied with opera music was remarkable. One thing that the movie lack is the on-site interviews involving people of color. I just was 4 black folks and 3 white folks. In the middle of movie at the cafe next to Small Plates was a black lady arguining to a yuppfied male coming from the Detroit Opera House about proper way to make mocha. LOL!

I like the story of the Black male UAW Union leader of Local 22 headquarters at Michigan Ave. near Clark St. where he came to Detroit and work at the old Cadillac Plant on Fort St. and West End to deal with lost of union workers from American Axle to dealing with the Automotive Bailout.

The lower east side bar scene on Chene St. was hot back the old days where people come from the factories, having a drink, enjoying some Motown music and returning home to the families. It's amazing that the bar owner has kept his business going even when the Chene St commercial district dissapear right before his eyes.

I remember the time when the GM Detroit Hamtramck Plant opened in 1980 my uncle took over the corner bar on Medbury St. near E. Grand Blvd-McDougall-Mt. Elliot connector. The better to attract the union workers there. Unforuntely he did and the bar is long gone.

Detropia tells a story how the Detroit went from 'Arsenal of Democracy' to 'Black instututional ghetto' we see today. Who is blame for the stabbing of Detroit? political corruption, unions or fall the automobile industry. Before the all the blames it starts with race and class.
    Last edited by Danny; September-17-12 at 08:57 AM.

The movie is not worth watching.
    There is no substance.
    No interviews, research, exploration, etc.

On another note, the Main Art has switched to digital projection.
    All I can say is WOW.

I dunno. I know I am a stick in the mud, but I live in Detroit, work in Detroit, and play in Detroit. A lot of times Detroit is a fierce, fierce animal that I like to escape from, such as by going to the cinema. I have a pretty good understanding of what happened here, I certainly know what it looks like, and why it looks how it does, so I don't really have any desire to see another hip Detroit film, unless it's like Detroit 9000.

I really like the Main Art theatre, but can't it at least be shown in Detroit? C'mon. Want to be part of the solution or what?
    Last edited by poobert; September-18-12 at 12:21 PM.

I agree with majohnson; I thought the movie had no substance. I saw it at BAM in Brooklyn and the filmmakers were there. I actually didn't even stick around for the Q&A because I was so unimpressed; I actually thought it was pointless and terrible. It really makes me mad when movies like this are showing an abandoned building, and all they need to do is pan the camera right or left to see something new and heartwarming. We all know there are TONS of bad things to say and show about Detroit...probably more bad than good; however, PLEASE do not ignore the good completely.

The movie is being shown 3 times daily in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I dunno. I know I am a stick in the mud, but I live in Detroit, work in Detroit, and play in Detroit. A lot of times Detroit is a fierce, fierce animal that I like to escape from, such as by going to the cinema. I have a pretty good understanding of what happened here, I certainly know what it looks like, and why it looks how it does, so I don't really have any desire to see another hip Detroit film, unless it's like Detroit 9000.

I really like the Main Art theatre, but can't it at least be shown in Detroit? C'mon. Want to be part of the solution or what?

I'm pretty sure it'll be shown at the Ren Cen 4.

Does the movie show any parts of midtown, the riverfront, Indian Village, downtown, and other areas that are not decaying or had gone to ruin. Does the movie discusses solutions that are being used or are in the planning to bring the city back. There were a movie that came out earlier in the year that had discussed some of the same topics Mostly about the arsenal of democracy to decay and blight. I don't want to go to the movies to see what I see just by walking down some of the streets outside of one or two of the theatres.

Yes, they are showing it at the RenCen.

http://www.detropiathefilm.com/scree...ntheaters.html

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Does the movie show any parts of midtown, the riverfront, Indian Village, downtown, and other areas that are not decaying or had gone to ruin. Does the movie discusses solutions that are being used or are in the planning to bring the city back. There were a movie that came out earlier in the year that had discussed some of the same topics Mostly about the arsenal of democracy to decay and blight. I don't want to go to the movies to see what I see just by walking down some of the streets outside of one or two of the theatres.
    The movie was a total disappointment. You can tell the lady who made the film is from the burbs. It showed the same old burnt out buildings everyone else has shown. There was nothing new that hasn't been shown before. I also felt it was racist. There were very few white people in the area other than the low lifes stealing scarp metal. Nothing nice was shown. Don't waste your money.