Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 3 Lottery Announcers To Retire, Will Be Replaced By Robot...

Now the numbers historically have been broadcasted [[statewide) from WDIV. I'm not sure if the robot replacement will mean the state will also move the lottery drawings from Detroit. I doubt it, but it wouldn't surprise me.

But it's sad that it has come to this. Now we won't even see the Daily 3 and Daily 4 digit numbers drawn live on TV anymore.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2012/09/...ttery-readers/
    Last edited by 313WX; September-15-12 at 01:40 AM.

Default Robot’ To Replace Michigan Lottery Readers

I wonder if we could do that with the City Council?

The good news is now all three of them can play the lottery. It would be poetic justice if one of them hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    The good news is now all three of them can play the lottery. It would be poetic justice if one of them hit.
    Seems to me that until now, they have been reliability "hitting" the state lottery with every paycheck they received - which makes them smarter "players" than the math-challenged folks who have unwittingly funded their wages and union dues while chasing incredible odds.

Too bad, I'm used to hearing the same voice every day, feels like my entire life. And Maggie U. on the evening drawings. The computer voice is so impersonal.

Quote Originally Posted by Detwa View Post
    The computer voice is so impersonal.
    Not to mention that it gives more a feeling that it's all rigged.

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    Not to mention that it gives more a feeling that it's all rigged.
    Glad I'm not the only one who thought of that. :-)

It is rigged. I remember a couple of times watching a ball get stuck in the chamber, only to fall back down and another one takes it's place.

It's absolutely rigged. For every $1.00 you spend, the state takes $0.50.

Lotteries - a voluntary tax on the math-challenged.

What? You mean those announcers were real people all along, not robots? I'm disillusioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    It's absolutely rigged. For every $1.00 you spend, the state takes $0.50.

Lotteries - a voluntary tax on the math-challenged.
    That is why I will only buy a ticket only if the payout has exceeded the odds, which I believe is something north of $170 Mil. Of course if everybody did that it would never get there.

I am incentivized by the fact that it goes to the public treasury and principally schools, and not to a handful of rich owners.

Well this news sucks canal water!!I enjoy having Aggy Usedly call off the numbers. She's a tradition. I hate to see her go!!

Quote Originally Posted by trotwood View Post
    Well this news sucks canal water!!I enjoy having Aggy Usedly call off the numbers. She's a tradition. I hate to see her go!!
    Darryl Wood had a pretty long tenure too, as he's been announcing the numbers since the 1980s.

I would not use the term "retire" in terms of the other people involved. Perhaps even Aggie Usedly. Their contract was not renewed, I'm assuming that implies that they are more "unemployed" than "retired".

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Darryl Wood had a pretty long tenure too, as he's been announcing the numbers since the 1980s.

You're absolutely correct&I meant no slight to Darryl at all. I met him once in a computer shop. Nice as can be!! I guess I'm so upset about Aggie because she's always been my favorite.

How about Geoff Peterson broadvasting from California?

Quote Originally Posted by trotwood View Post
    Thanks for clearing up the name! I've been hearing for decades and still couldn't spell her name right, lol.

It's possible she's retiring though. She's been doing that job, as well as probably another, for a very long time!

You're welcome.Truth be told though I thought her name was 'Usettly' for the longest.
    She's retiring alright though from reading the article it seems this is more a forced retirement[[from number calling)for all of them.

this is the exact crap the Obama has been trying to explain about unemployment, bank teller replaced by ATM's, airport ticket booths replaced by kiosk's, and now lottery announcers replaced by robots....

i tell ya, i wouldn't be suprised to see a rise of the machines after the election... terminator, judgement days......
    Last edited by Goose; September-15-12 at 04:48 PM.

The only place I see the word "retire" is in the title of this thread. The article [[which many DetroitYesers dont usually read before responding to) says that it was "a surprise."

Not many retirements are a surprise.

The lottery, with its millions and millions, is firing three people and replacing them with a robotic voice. Perhaps no longer a surprise in a world where we value saving a couple bucks [[while spending more than we can afford on stuff we don't need) over valuing each other.

More racing to the bottom.

Are you kidding? I wished Aggie had retired years ago. What is she 75?
    Did she need the job that bad? I liked it when Kim took over but Aggie still would show up. I always thought Aggie was bad luck for me. Call it ageism but if I had to look at that ancient mug one more time, I might throw up.
    If you watch any other states lottery show they always have a hot, young woman picking the numbers and such. Not us, we get a senior citizen.

What I don't get is why it takes so long for the numbers to get posted on the Mi lottery's website and on their phone line. C'mon, what century are we living in?

Gee, who needs to be concerned about cops losing their jobs when you can whine about talking heads?

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    That is why I will only buy a ticket only if the payout has exceeded the odds, which I believe is something north of $170 Mil. Of course if everybody did that it would never get there.
    Lowell, I have thought about the odds that way, too, but I still think that you are losing in that scenario, since you only break even in expected value if you are a solo winner. If one, two, or more other people win, then your wager still has a negative expected value! That said, if you are ever going to play at all, you are still probably best off playing when the jackpot is that high.

Replace lottery announcers with Robots will decrease the odds of winning the lottery jackpot.

Did you know.........Nevada has no state lottery. It is specifically prohibited by the state constitution.

For anything else, though........

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast