Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shollin Guest

Default Walmart returning to Warren?

http://www.macombdaily.com/article/2...warren&pager=1

Apparently Walmart is coming back to Warren. Can Walmart really be trusted to develop this property? Since it isn't condos, shops, and restaurants, most people will likely oppose the idea, but it's better than being empty.

so much for their mixed used walkable pseudo downtown...on the plus side, roseville may get an emagine theatre

How much did WalMart extort from Warren to move back?

Walmart didn't have to extort anything. A few years back Walmart already had a store there. They abandoned it and moved two miles up Van Dyke on the Warren\Sterling Heights border.

Since then, Walmart has held the lease and REFUSED to sublease it, leaving the large strip mall without an anchor. Walmart has destroyed the Tech Center plaza by leaving it and refusing to let anyone else move in.

I'm glad people will be employed, but I simply refuse to shop at Walmart for several reasons, one of those being what they did at 12\Van Dyke.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    Walmart didn't have to extort anything. A few years back Walmart already had a store there. They abandoned it and moved two miles up Van Dyke on the Warren\Sterling Heights border.

Since then, Walmart has held the lease and REFUSED to sublease it, leaving the large strip mall without an anchor. Walmart has destroyed the Tech Center plaza by leaving it and refusing to let anyone else move in.

I'm glad people will be employed, but I simply refuse to shop at Walmart for several reasons, one of those being what they did at 12\Van Dyke.
    That's why I wonder if Walmart could be trusted with developing the site.

Are they going to keep the location just two miles down the road at 14/Van Dyke?

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post

Wal-Mart took a Tech Plaza that was on the skids following the loss of K-Mart, SS Kresge, JC Penney, Firestone, etc. and temporarily revived it before decamping for the new and bigger store two miles north.

While the mile-wide industrial corridor between Van Dyke and Mound in Warren and Sterling Heights has been a blessing from tax base perspective, the fact that hardly anyone lives there has always made it tough for shopping centers along Van Dyke or Mound to be successful over the long term.

Shollin Guest

According to the article, yes. Walmart probably realizes most of it's customers come from south of 14 mile.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    Wal-Mart took a Tech Plaza that was on the skids following the loss of K-Mart, SS Kresge, JC Penney, Firestone, etc. and temporarily revived it before decamping for the new and bigger store two miles north.

While the mile-wide industrial corridor between Van Dyke and Mound in Warren and Sterling Heights has been a blessing from tax base perspective, the fact that hardly anyone lives there has always made it tough for shopping centers along Van Dyke or Mound to be successful over the long term.
    The Walmart at 14 and Van Dyke is doing very well. Van Dyke is the main commercial route through Warren and Sterling Heights. It's also the main bus line. The only reason Walmart left Tech Plaza was because they didn't have room to expand the store to a super center at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    The Walmart at 14 and Van Dyke is doing very well......
    I didn't say they weren't. Look at the rest of that Sterling Ponds shopping center at 14 and Van Dyke. After being vacant for years, the other large commercial use at the north end is now a tax-exempt church and many of the smaller storefronts have been vacant more often than they are leased. Look at Green Acres at Mound and 13, or Sterling Place at 16 1/2 and Van Dyke or even the small shopping centers at 17 and 18 Mile Roads and Van Dyke - they have all suffered high vacancy rates over the years - and all of their problems pre-date Wal-Mart's entry into the SE Michigan market.
    Last edited by Mikeg; September-15-12 at 07:41 AM.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    I didn't say they weren't. Look at the rest of that Sterling Ponds shopping center at 14 and Van Dyke. After being vacant for years, the other large commercial use at the north end is now a tax-exempt church and many of the smaller storefronts have been vacant more often than they are leased. Look at Green Acres at Mound and 13, or Sterling Place at 16 1/2 and Van Dyke or even the small shopping centers at 17 and 18 Mile Roads and Van Dyke - they have all suffered high vacancy rates over the years - and all of their problems pre-date Wal-Mart's entry into the SE Michigan market.
    The 14 and Van Dyke center is filling up. All the stores from tech plaza moved there. The small shopping centers don't have anchor tennants so the smaller retail isn't going to move into them. The shopping center at 12 and Mound is pretty full. If you're talking about the older one across 13 Mile, again, smaller retail is going to go to the center with the anchor tennants.

Maybe Walmart can save room by instead of putting in 20 check-out lanes and having only 2 open during their busy shopping days, they can just have one check-out lane.

Walmart was opening their "super centers" and closing their smaller dry goods only stores. Walmart recently has begun to open grocery only "Walmart Neighborhood Markets". I wonder in what guise this store will reopen. The Walmart Neighborhood Market near us is quite a nice place. It seems to attract few of the infamous and stereotypical "Walmart Shoppers" and the employees seem to be quite motivated.

Growing up at 14/Van Dyke...this brings back memories. That stretch of Van Dyke between 12 and 15 Mile has always been lacking or developed in a half-assed way. I remember the Super Kmart at 14/Van Dyke didn't last very long and most of the neighboring tenants left with the blue light special.

The biggest sore-spot is the Butterfly, which is just south of 14...that place is a shit-hole...seems to have always attracted a rough crowd for as long as I can remember. However, that site may become a Menards if I am not mistaken. That strip of Van Dyke has a lot of potential, if the panning is done right.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Walmart was opening their "super centers" and closing their smaller dry goods only stores. Walmart recently has begun to open grocery only "Walmart Neighborhood Markets". I wonder in what guise this store will reopen. The Walmart Neighborhood Market near us is quite a nice place. It seems to attract few of the infamous and stereotypical "Walmart Shoppers" and the employees seem to be quite motivated.
    I'm guessing super center since Walmart is going to expand the current size of the old Walmart.

The Target at 15/van Dyke is starting to show its age and some people tend to avoid shopping that location. It was scheduled to be redone, but maybe not now. I bet they tear that Target down and rebuild a new one.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    The Target at 15/van Dyke is starting to show its age and some people tend to avoid shopping that location. It was scheduled to be redone, but maybe not now. I bet they tear that Target down and rebuild a new one.
    They built a new one at 16 and Dequindre. The one at 15 and Van Dyke is hidden. They did rebuild the theater and build a shopping center right on Van Dyke.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    They built a new one at 16 and Dequindre. The one at 15 and Van Dyke is hidden. They did rebuild the theater and build a shopping center right on Van Dyke.
    Yep, and there is a massive amount of unused space on that corner where Showcase cinemas once stood.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    I think you're onto something. Walmart is actually losing a fair amount of market share to stores like Family Dollar and Dollar General because they locate close to people instead of expecting people to come to them.

Walmarts in the inner suburbs attract some of the least desirable clientele possible.

I'm very familiar with the Maple/Crooks WalMart [[is that Troy, or Royal Oak?), and that place sucks. Meijer or Target are 1000 times better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Walmarts in the inner suburbs attract some of the least desirable clientele possible.

I'm very familiar with the Maple/Crooks WalMart [[is that Troy, or Royal Oak?), and that place sucks. Meijer or Target are 1000 times better.
    I couldn't disagree more. I've been to that particular Wallmart dozens of times. I've never seen that store dirty, not well stocked or in any type of disarray. It's a Wallmart after all, you're not entering the confines of the Taj Mahal.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I couldn't disagree more. I've been to that particular Wallmart dozens of times. I've never seen that store dirty, not well stocked or in any type of disarray. It's a Wallmart after all, you're not entering the confines of the Taj Mahal.
    Go to the one at 14 and Van Dyke and then go to the one at 23 and Van Dyke. You'll see a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post

Any other race bombs?

The reason Walmart opened the Tech Plaza location was because Warren gave them a tax break for a few years. When those breaks expired, they extorted a similar deal from Sterling Heights to move two miles further. At the time, I joked they would move to Utica when those expired, but now I wonder if they held Warren's feet to the fire to get breaks to move back? I'm sure they aren't doing this because they are good neighbors and care about the community.

Shollin Guest

According to the article they aren't getting tax breaks. Walmart has upgraded many of their stores to super centers and there wasn't room to expand in Tech Plaza.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast