Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: You buy, we fry

Default You buy, we fry

Has anyone patronized [[in the good sense of the word) one of these establishments? I see them popping up on a semi-regular basis for fish or chicken

My theory on this was always that it was a way around the no prepared food rules for bridge cards. You buy uncooked fish with bridge card, then pay cash to have it fried.

Anyone know if this is this case?

I used to go to the one by the Eastern Market all the time when I worked over there. If you don't mind fried everything it was great. I mean, fresh fish rolled in corn meal and fried up before your eyes and served to you still too hot to eat with a big bottle of Frank's on the counter to spice it up, what could be better?

Freshly caught fish out of the Rouge River, thats what

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    I used to go to the one by the Eastern Market all the time when I worked over there. If you don't mind fried everything it was great. I mean, fresh fish rolled in corn meal and fried up before your eyes and served to you still too hot to eat with a big bottle of Frank's on the counter to spice it up, what could be better?

You lost me at "fried everything" -
    I'll never understand this country's fasincation with deep fried foods!

Quote Originally Posted by leapfrog View Post
    You wouldn't last long iin Mississippi!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    You wouldn't last long iin Mississippi!

People in Mississippi don't last long in Mississippi.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17170134...heart-disease/

I wonder if they last longer in Detroit? Certainly many of the people who patronize the city's "you buy, we fry" places come from there [[and other nearby states), or their families did.

Quote Originally Posted by skyl4rk View Post
    Freshly caught fish out of the Rouge River, thats what
    Mmmm... good catfish... and so fluorescent too!!

they are tasty and crispy. flavor and texture, a winner every time

Quote Originally Posted by JJD View Post
    My theory on this was always that it was a way around the no prepared food rules for bridge cards. You buy uncooked fish with bridge card, then pay cash to have it fried.

Anyone know if this is this case?
    Bridge Cards are accepted at many fast food restaurants. I think KFC was first and several followed suit. Homeless people and people who live in shelters can use them at restaurants because they don't have anywhere to cook food. You could always use a Bridge card to buy prepared food at the grocery store. BTW the buy and fry on Woodward near Highland Park is really good. The fish is not greasy, it's well seasoned, and the people that do the cooking know what to do with a fish...yummy... PS...don't knock the Bridge card you may need one some day.

Down in Norfolk, VA they used to have a chain called the "Giant Open-Air Food Markets" [[not to be confused with the Washington suburb chain Giant Foods). Among other things, Giant was open 24 hours. After the bars closed at 2AM [[4AM if you went to a private club), you drifted by Giant Open-Air. You went back to the meat dept and found a steak you liked and took it up to the snack bar in front. They would ring up the steak plus a meal charge and broil the steak for you. Steak and fries or steak and eggs after a long night out was really great [[course I was a tad younger then).

Not to go too far off-topic, but I've been looking for some good fried fish in the city. I used to hit up Miley & Miley's Shrimp Shack, but they've gone downhill lately.

And I'm talking about the crispy, well-seasoned, southern-fried fish, not the crap from Scotty Simpson's.

Does anyone have any recommendations? It's really a crime that a city like Detroit [[which is 82% black) doesn't have a lot of places that sell some decent fried fish.

I will try the place MidTownMs recommended, but if you know of any other places then by all means please share.

MidtownMs,
    I am definately not knocking the bridge card, and I am thnkful I don't need one at present, while sympathizing for those who do. My question was not meant to be judgemental, I was just always curious as to the you buy we fry scenario as opposed to just selling fried fish like plenty of other places. Why buy the fish then have it fried? Just seems like you are buying fried fish same as you would from a fish and chips joint.

Quote Originally Posted by JJD View Post
    MidtownMs,
    I am definately not knocking the bridge card, and I am thnkful I don't need one at present, while sympathizing for those who do. My question was not meant to be judgemental, I was just always curious as to the you buy we fry scenario as opposed to just selling fried fish like plenty of other places. Why buy the fish then have it fried? Just seems like you are buying fried fish same as you would from a fish and chips joint.

The buy and fry places sell fresh fish that you can see and pick the fish you want. Fish and chip places to do not do that. There is no comparison between a fish and chip place and a place where you can get fresh fish cooked for you. I went to the Fry and Buy because they cook fish way better than I did. I was not trying to accuse you of being judgemental I just felt it was important that you have your facts straight. Everybody is not out to beat the system.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    they are tasty and crispy. flavor and texture, a winner every time
    Yes obesity is a winner every time.
    Food is for fuel, not for entertainment

Yes obesity is a winner every time.
    Food is for fuel, not for entertainment
    Who told you that?

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    Who told you that?
    Common sense does. Humans are the the only animals in nature that eat for reasons other than hunger.

But by all means, everyone should feel free to clog their arteries, and continue to gain weight. After all, it's not like there is an obesity problem in the country or anything.

Common sense does. Humans are the the only animals in nature that eat for reasons other than hunger.

But by all means, everyone should feel free to clog their arteries, and continue to gain weight. After all, it's not like there is an obesity problem in the country or anything.
    Humans are the only animals in nature that solve algebra problems. Should we stop doing that too?

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Humans are the only animals in nature that solve algebra problems. Should we stop doing that too?
    If it was determined to be detrimental to our health [[like eating deep fried food is), yes.

If it was determined to be detrimental to our health [[like eating deep fried food is), yes.
    One piece of fried fish will not kill most people or make them sick. Overindulgence in fried food is what might be detrimental to your health. But even considering that, our species has a far longer life span now with our using meals as a form of entertainment than we did when it was just for nourishment.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    One piece of fried fish will not kill most people or make them sick. Overindulgence in fried food is what might be detrimental to your health. But even considering that, our species has a far longer life span now with our using meals as a form of entertainment than we did when it was just for nourishment.
    A fine example of post hoc ergo propter hoc.
    Because we eat meals as a form of entertainment has literally nothing to do with our longer life spans
    Last edited by leapfrog; September-18-12 at 07:17 PM.

That is not quite true. Horses, dogs, cattle are all known to eat well past the point of satiating hunger, occasionally to the point of eating themselves to death

Diet is a big problem [[I generally don't eat anything deep fried, by the way) but we need only look to Continental Europe. People there generally don't eat healthy [[the French, Germans, Poles - think about it) but are extremely active compared to Americans [[and they are far less obese).

Americans drive their cars to work, take the elevator to their desk, sit there all day, eat McDonalds, drive home, and sit in front of the tube. Yard work? Landscapers and a riding lawn mower. Weekends? More TV.

I say eat, drink, and be merry, but get off your obese toilet-busting ass if you're going to.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Diet is a big problem [[I generally don't eat anything deep fried, by the way) but we need only look to Continental Europe. People there generally don't eat healthy [[the French, Germans, Poles - think about it) but are extremely active compared to Americans [[and they are far less obese).

Americans drive their cars to work, take the elevator to their desk, sit there all day, eat McDonalds, drive home, and sit in front of the tube. Yard work? Landscapers and a riding lawn mower. Weekends? More TV.

I say eat, drink, and be merry, but get off your obese toilet-busting ass if you're going to.
    No argument from me on that. Europeans don't tend to eat any healthier than Americans, but with our sedentary lifestyles, IMO eating fried foods is the equivalent of eating poison.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast