Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Change.org Petition: Mayor Bing & Detroit City Council: Stop cutting support to Detro

The response is going to be "we have to make cuts everywhere, including fire and police, as we are broke."

A more poignant letter would be something like "Mayor Bing - you have xx number of aides - if you drop yy number of them, you can afford to keep zz number of police officers to keep up safe. City council spends $A dollars on cars/personel/etc - this could be used to keep zz number of firefighters to keep us safe."

"A more poignant letter would be something like "Mayor Bing - you have xx number of aides - if you drop yy number of them, you can afford to keep zz number of police officers to keep up safe. City council spends $A dollars on cars/personel/etc - this could be used to keep zz number of firefighters to keep us safe."

I've posted my opinion/question before on other forums. Since Detroit has a shrinking revenue, population, employees, services, etc., then is it really necessary to carry a 9 member council, staff, & perks? How effective are they REALLY in attending to Detroit's daily operations?

cut the darn police management staff, they barely do anything as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    is it really necessary to carry a 9 member council, staff, & perks? How effective are they REALLY in attending to Detroit's daily operations?
    Detroit: 143 Square Miles
    San Diego: 372 Square Miles

Detroit: 714,000 residents
    San Diego: 1,301,000 residents

Detroit: 9 member city council [[1 member per 80,000 residents)
    San Diego: 8 member city council [[1 member per 162,000 residents)

Of course, San Diego is a financial basket case as well, mainly due to some awful decisions about managing their gigantic pension load, but otherwise the city seems fairly well run. I bet Detroit could cut down to maybe five council members and still function well.
    Last edited by JBMcB; September-13-12 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Clean up formatting

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I've posted my opinion/question before on other forums. Since Detroit has a shrinking revenue, population, employees, services, etc., then is it really necessary to carry a 9 member council, staff, & perks? How effective are they REALLY in attending to Detroit's daily operations?
    I would rather go with a larger council, but just pay them $100 per regular meeting. Let them share a couple of secretaries. No car allowance and no phone allowance.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    I would rather go with a larger council, but just pay them $100 per regular meeting. Let them share a couple of secretaries. No car allowance and no phone allowance.
    You'd probably get better quality candidates as well. Too many today seem to be looking at the CC job as the ultimate government entitlement program.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    You'd probably get better quality candidates as well. Too many today seem to be looking at the CC job as the ultimate government entitlement program.

Agreed. It does seem [[for some) to be a position for life.

The ONLY transportation allowance for ANY city official should be a monthly card to ride D-DOT.

Watch the bus service improve immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    The ONLY transportation allowance for ANY city official should be a monthly card to ride D-DOT.

Watch the bus service improve immediately.

LOL, thats a great idea! Bloomberg rides the subway in NYC, does he not?

Regarding th CC:
    We need to keep pay as high as possible and include as many perks as we can regardless of the city budget. This insures they we retain the best qualified people for the job.

kenp, You forgot to close the sarcasm tags.

This is nothing more than an exercise in making your voice heard.

It won't change anything that's been implement.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    This is nothing more than an exercise in making your voice heard.
    Which is better than sitting on our collective asses & complaining to the walls.

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    Which is better than sitting on our collective asses & complaining to the walls.
    Futility [[an exercise in futility) was the word I was looking for.

Screaming to the top of your lungs at someone who won't listen isn't any different than talking to the wall.