Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Pay Cut Forced Upon Police and Fire Reversed?

This just showed up on the Freep website.

Ingham County judge rules that two major aspects of the EFM law are not legal. Because of this, actions taken by Mayor Bing [[sanctioned by Snydley, of course) are reversed, including the hated 'cost reduction' payroll reductions forced upon the Blues and Reds last month.

“The dictatorship of Mayor Bing and Gov. Snyder is no more,” Davis said.

Lets see if this sticks.

Cheers, so far...

Yea! Now the budget fairy will sprinkle magic money every where and Bing can hop on his unicorn and collect it!

Yep, definitely cheers.

If we're going to repair Detroit's financial problems, we need to do so legally.

The City of Detroit will not abide by what any judge orders them to do, that's true of the past and the present. They will continue to take the 10%, pay daily fines that the judge throws on them and continue to do what they want to do.

For years, the CofD has been ordered to do certain things and they totally ignore orders by courts. Incidentally, if by some miracle, they do abide by what the courts have ordered them to do, the people who have endured these 10% pay cuts will never see the money that is owed to them.

The City still owes me over $800 that they took out of my pension checks when they charged too much for healthcare premiums; was ordered to stop taking so much, they were required to repay the retirees retroactive to when they started taking the amounts and never paid a dime to me.

Calling Benefits is like beating your head against a wall. Either phones are busy, Voicemails are full so you can't leave a message, no one responds to correspondence so you are fighting a losing battle.

To those of you who think the City is broke, you're wrong. Money is there except that the fat at the top wants it and they will get it, no matter who they have to screw.

Keep up the good fight Cla1945.

^^^kenp...we gave up the fight for the $800, that was over 3 years ago. If I thought it was going to help out a City employee who is really hurting right now because of the 10% wage cuts, I'd be okay with that, but I know that it's gone into some fat cat's pocket and that makes my blood boil.

I assume you were with DPD?
    How long have you been retired?

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    This just showed up on the Freep website.

Ingham County judge rules that two major aspects of the EFM law are not legal. Because of this, actions taken by Mayor Bing [[sanctioned by Snydley, of course) are reversed, including the hated 'cost reduction' payroll reductions forced upon the Blues and Reds last month.

Lets see if this sticks.

Cheers, so far...
    Um..you do realize that all the ruling says is that these cuts need to be made by an EFM and that Bing and Snyder don't have that power, not that the cuts can't be made. If anything the Judge cleared the way to appoint an EFM instead of this silly half measure.

If AFSCME doesn't like the "dictatorship" of Bing and Synder, I imagine they'll REALLY not like the EFM.
    Last edited by bailey; September-13-12 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    ^^^kenp...we gave up the fight for the $800, that was over 3 years ago. If I thought it was going to help out a City employee who is really hurting right now because of the 10% wage cuts, I'd be okay with that, but I know that it's gone into some fat cat's pocket and that makes my blood boil.
    cla1945, are you a member of the RDPFFA?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    cla1945, are you a member of the RDPFFA?
    Yes Ray1936, are you a member?

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Um..you do realize that all the ruling says is that these cuts need to be made by an EFM and that Bing and Snyder don't have that power, not that the cuts can't be made. If anything the Judge cleared the way to appoint an EFM instead of this silly half measure.

If AFSCME doesn't like the "dictatorship" of Bing and Synder, I imagine they'll REALLY not like the EFM.
    As it stands, an EFM has no more power than Bing or Snyder.

Not even a Federal Bankruptcy Judge can *impose* a contract like Bing and Snyder did [[contrary to popular belief).

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    Yes Ray1936, are you a member?
    Yeah, sure am. Hey, we got a partial refund on that medical overpayment a few years back. It was spread over three years. If you didn't get any back, contact the association and see what they can do for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Yeah, sure am. Hey, we got a partial refund on that medical overpayment a few years back. It was spread over three years. If you didn't get any back, contact the association and see what they can do for you.
    Contacted them, the City, Benefits, attorney....so far "they are looking into why we didn't get the money back". Still waiting...Detroit works at a snails pace. I've more or less forgotten about it because I'll probably be dead before they decide to give me what is rightfully mine.