Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default The Palms Apartment on East Jefferson

Does anyone know how many units and bedrooms are available for this apartment building? I cannot find anything as far as a web address is concerned to find more information.

I was able to come up with something pretty easy using google.
    http://www.incomepropertyorganizatio...rketingPackage

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I was able to come up with something pretty easy using google.
    http://www.incomepropertyorganizatio...rketingPackage

I suspect that's out of date -- the name of the guy who owns and manages the building [[as of early 2012, anyway, when I looked at units there) is Larry.

I'm pretty sure that the phone number on the building is his cell phone, either the sign out front or on a smaller sign/piece of paper near the door on Rivard. He's a nice guy, seems to run a good operation.

If you're interested in the Palms Apartment Building, you may want to read Post #809 that I put up a bit ago on the Detroit's Wealth of Architectual Talent thread.

http://detroit1701.org/PalmsApartment.html

There is some information here about the historic Palms Apartments but not
    information about the number of units or number of bedrooms per unit.

If i was trying to move back into the city this is where I would try to get a place

Thanks all for the replies! Rex, the building is a beauty [[what Albert Kahn building isn't). I had always wondered about how the interior look. For example, I looked at the link that DP posted and it stated that the building had 16 studios, 38 1 bed, 9 2beds. I will take a look at Neir's post in the Detroit Wealth of Architeture thread.

Quote Originally Posted by nativegirl View Post
    Thanks all for the replies! Rex, the building is a beauty [[what Albert Kahn building isn't). I had always wondered about how the interior look. For example, I looked at the link that DP posted and it stated that the building had 16 studios, 38 1 bed, 9 2beds. I will take a look at Neir's post in the Detroit Wealth of Architeture thread.
    I looked at this place around 01-02 when i was getting ready to move back here. apparently the building was originally designed to have a few sprawling units a floor and then a couple of smaller units wedged in there . Had to be very swank in its day. Since then it's been mercilessly chopped up and subdivided. it has charm in that a lot of the original details are there, however, it's age is really showing. The units i was shown were awkward to say the least. The kitchenettes [[which was far too grand a term for what they were) were stocked with what looked like miniature appliances crammed in to large closets or small alcoves which probably once served as a small sitting room. IIRC, some of the units didn't have bathrooms and you shared with others. It did have parking right out back though. IIRC the rent was cheap... but you get what you pay for.

Frankly, the subdivision and choppiness of an old building like that would make sense in New york or wherever $$/sqr foot is at a premium. However, here, it just seemed needlessly tiny and cheaply retrofitted. It was just kind of sad really.

Its worth taking a look at it, if only to get inside the place and get a glimpse at what it used to be.

I have a hard time remembering. Its been quite some time since I was in there. Maybe 8-10 years. It may have been just before the building changed ownership. Not sure. The apartment I was in was in pretty bad shape though. It had serious potential but there was a big hole in the ceiling and the hardwood floor needed to be refinished and there was a gas leak into the apartment. Kitchen area smelled like well. Rotten eggs and it drifted into the living room. Dont know if there was an elevator but if there was i don't think it worked because we always used the stairs. If its been fixed up it would be great. It had nice views of the river and canada

Here's an update from Curbed Detroit.

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...w-restored.php

I had looked at an apartment in that building in 2010. He was just beginning to renovate the building then. I love the décor. I might just move there next year. I love the apartments that are on the first floor facing Jefferson.